Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 06:59 PM

3,538 posts, read 2,535,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
Got it! I take it because I was knocking on the door of diabetes when I started my weight loss. I love my morning coffee but had to quit drinking it to avoid the sugar. Allulose has worked for me so far by allowing me to enjoy my morning coffee without the effects of sugar. It also hasn’t caused any issues with my carnivore diet and I’m still dropping pounds. Thanks for your comments!
A close family member had diabetes II, caused by a lifetime of "not paying attention to his health." He overate carbs every day, he didn't exercise enough, he was injured from a job that was under the table so he didn't have workers comp coverage, and had to work through his injuries - which made it harder to exercise, which depressed him, which made him eat more sugar and starch.

Fast forward to him being 50 years old at over 300 pounds, no job, no ability to get a job, needing pain meds just to get out of bed in the morning, and so on and so forth.

He went on a FODMAP diet and started doing pushups every day (since his arms had no problems - just his legs).

He lost more than 100 pounds in three years, got off the pain meds, added CBD cream for his knees, smoking cannabis to his daily routine for pain and anger management, his doctor told him he no longer needed insulin, his diabetes is gone, and he isn't looking to get his knees replaced.

He still eats a modified FODMAP diet, and still exercises every day. He'll always have a bit of a beer gut, some things just won't go away unless you literally starve, or have liposuction. He does enjoy a little sugar once in awhile, in addition to raw fruit. A bite of someone's cheesecake, or a spoonful of his wife's ice cream every couple of weeks. But he has no cravings, he eats healthy but VERY tasty food (he's also a cook), and he's doing great.

He definitely eats a lot of meat but mostly it's chicken and fish, very little beef or pork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2024, 08:27 PM

10,993 posts, read 7,536,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

He went on a FODMAP diet and started doing pushups every day (since his arms had no problems - just his legs).

He still eats a modified FODMAP diet, and still exercises every day. He'll always have a bit of a beer gut, some things just won't go away unless you literally starve, or have liposuction. He does enjoy a little sugar once in awhile, in addition to raw fruit. A bite of someone's cheesecake, or a spoonful of his wife's ice cream every couple of weeks. But he has no cravings, he eats healthy but VERY tasty food (he's also a cook), and he's doing great.
FODMAP is about food intolerances, not diabetes or weight loss.
Sugar and corn and rice and meats and fats are all okay on a low-FODMAP diet because those foods are unlikely to cause gut issues. But those may not be the best weight loss choices.

Many fruits and veggies cause problems; I discovered that I have gut issues when I eat "healthy" *broccoli*.

Old 03-17-2024, 03:56 AM

30,885 posts, read 19,511,892 times
Quote:
I’m 5’11”. I’m targeting 225 simply because I remember that I felt great at this weight back in my college days. I am unsure if 225 is my final goal, but it certainly has been since I started carnivore. I understand that BMI index chart says someone my height should be around 170 pounds, but that is simply too little weight for me based on my body type. We’ll see… I may go to 210 or maybe even 200, all depends how I feel at each weight. Thanks for your kind words!
I've seen plenty of videos of people who have lost over 100 lbs. on Carnivore diet and I bet if you're able to stick to it, you will likely be one of those. To be ultimately successful at any diet, one needs to be able to do it indefinitely, so that's my biggest concern about Carnivore Diet.

Old 03-18-2024, 08:50 AM

3,538 posts, read 2,535,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
FODMAP is about food intolerances, not diabetes or weight loss.
Sugar and corn and rice and meats and fats are all okay on a low-FODMAP diet because those foods are unlikely to cause gut issues. But those may not be the best weight loss choices.

Many fruits and veggies cause problems; I discovered that I have gut issues when I eat "healthy" *broccoli*.
He went on the diet because his wife has a couple of different digestive disorders, and he's the one who does the cooking in their family. He had to do FODMAP for her, so he chose to do it along with her. Also, as I said it's a "modified" FODMAP diet. It's not a strict reduction. They're gluten-free for the most part, but once in awhile will have cake made with regular flour. They keep "low" sugar rather than "no" sugar. They have wild rice or brown rice instead of pasta. Low beef, some pork, but mostly fish and chicken. No garlic, but infused garlic oil is fine. Nothing with celery seed or MSG because she's allergic. Only cheeses that are naturally low in lactose, such as parmesan, cheddar, swiss. And so on.

Old 03-22-2024, 05:35 AM

656 posts, read 795,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've seen plenty of videos of people who have lost over 100 lbs. on Carnivore diet and I bet if you're able to stick to it, you will likely be one of those. To be ultimately successful at any diet, one needs to be able to do it indefinitely, so that's my biggest concern about Carnivore Diet.
Agree 100%. This is why I’ve started training myself to think of carnivore as a lifestyle, not a diet. Even now, I allow myself to have carbs and sugars in small amounts. I eat tacos, fries, some bread, etc on my “cheat” day. Sometimes my cheat day is Saturday but sometimes I allow myself to cheat on Saturday and Sunday. Self-restraint is the key for me. It’s fairly easy for me to get thru the week eating only carnivore and then allowing myself a day or two to enjoy one cheat meal. I’ve had regular ice cream or bagel on my cheat day and still continue to lose weight because I do it once and that’s it. The benefits of this lifestyle far outweigh the satisfaction of eating all those things all the time. I love how I feel and look right now!! Making progress each week. Thank you!!

Old 03-28-2024, 08:13 AM

7,236 posts, read 9,413,812 times
OP: Congratulations on your success. I'm impressed that you've continued to progress and post results.

I also considered going on a carnivore diet but I was concerned that it could be devoid of essential nutrients, e.g. Omega 3 fats. I was also worried that with so little fiber, would my gut flora be sufficiently nourished. Furthermore, unless you are eating grass fed and grass finished beef, the feedlot chow for cattle is primarily GMO corn that is contaminated with glyphosate. Glyphosate interferes with the metabolism of essential gut bacteria. That can negatively impact the generation of brain hormones.

I therefore chose the following plan and like you I've been easily losing at a rate of 3.5 pounds per week and I am never hungry. I think I can sustain this indefinitely although I'll be an outcast at birthday parties by refusing cake and ice cream. But I can live with that.

Based upon my previous experience combined with my new knowledge, I’ve decided to proceed with the following plan: Avoid all grains, especially wheat, corn, barley (used to brew beer) and rice. Avoid all sugar and HFCS. Both wheat and sugar drive blood-sugar levels up and provoke the liver to store fat. By avoiding sugar and grains, it’s easier to maintain low insulin levels and minimize converting glucose into triglycerides which promotes lipogenesis. Avoid all fast food and frozen meals because they’re contaminated with wheat, emulsifiers, preservatives, HFCS, food colorings, glyphosate and other chemicals. Furthermore, they’re devoid of fiber and their fats included hydrogenated oils that promote trans-fat which promotes adverse health effects. Avoid all seed oils except olive oil and avocado oil. Eat only certified organic food. Avoid all fruit juices; just eat the entire fruit along with its fiber. Only eat when hungry. Eat a source of Omega 3 fats at least twice weekly, e.g. wild salmon. Avoid factory farmed fish. Try to achieve an eating schedule of just two meals per day, first at about 11 AM, then the second at 5 PM. That frees up 18 hours per day for digestion and fat absorption. If possible, proceed to just one meal per day.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:10 AM

3,249 posts, read 1,085,611 times
I agree with post #66, I follow the same plan. Except: I eat when hungry, sometimes 2 meals/day, other times 3 meals/day. And I only eat berries, no other fruits. And I don't have berries daily and when I eat them it's only a few. I'm always in ketosis.

I don't do it for weight loss, however I lost some weight on this diet and I would be happy to lose some more in time. I'm a little overweight, middle-aged woman here so normal hormonal changes. I follow this diet for other health issues. It helps me a lot.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:36 AM

656 posts, read 795,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
OP: Congratulations on your success. I'm impressed that you've continued to progress and post results.

I also considered going on a carnivore diet but I was concerned that it could be devoid of essential nutrients, e.g. Omega 3 fats. I was also worried that with so little fiber, would my gut flora be sufficiently nourished. Furthermore, unless you are eating grass fed and grass finished beef, the feedlot chow for cattle is primarily GMO corn that is contaminated with glyphosate. Glyphosate interferes with the metabolism of essential gut bacteria. That can negatively impact the generation of brain hormones.

I therefore chose the following plan and like you I've been easily losing at a rate of 3.5 pounds per week and I am never hungry. I think I can sustain this indefinitely although I'll be an outcast at birthday parties by refusing cake and ice cream. But I can live with that.

Based upon my previous experience combined with my new knowledge, I’ve decided to proceed with the following plan: Avoid all grains, especially wheat, corn, barley (used to brew beer) and rice. Avoid all sugar and HFCS. Both wheat and sugar drive blood-sugar levels up and provoke the liver to store fat. By avoiding sugar and grains, it’s easier to maintain low insulin levels and minimize converting glucose into triglycerides which promotes lipogenesis. Avoid all fast food and frozen meals because they’re contaminated with wheat, emulsifiers, preservatives, HFCS, food colorings, glyphosate and other chemicals. Furthermore, they’re devoid of fiber and their fats included hydrogenated oils that promote trans-fat which promotes adverse health effects. Avoid all seed oils except olive oil and avocado oil. Eat only certified organic food. Avoid all fruit juices; just eat the entire fruit along with its fiber. Only eat when hungry. Eat a source of Omega 3 fats at least twice weekly, e.g. wild salmon. Avoid factory farmed fish. Try to achieve an eating schedule of just two meals per day, first at about 11 AM, then the second at 5 PM. That frees up 18 hours per day for digestion and fat absorption. If possible, proceed to just one meal per day.
Hi there! Thanks for your comments and positive feedback. Your plan is very similar to what I'm currently doing. Although, I have to admit that I allow myself a cheat day about once every other week where I can have a "normal" meal, like tacos or a bagel for breakfast. I usually eat once a day and try to eat only when I'm hungry. Fasting is important, as you mentioned, to allow the body to burn fat. I take supplements for vitamins and minerals, and I also take fish oil supplements. I'm just not a fan of fish, I'd rather have a steak all day, . I'm glad you've found something that you like and can sustain. I feel the same way, like I can eat this way forever and maintain a healthy weight. Thanks again for the positive feedback!

Old 04-03-2024, 08:34 AM

25,724 posts, read 17,490,788 times
Quote:
Hi there! Thanks for your comments and positive feedback. Your plan is very similar to what I'm currently doing. Although, I have to admit that I allow myself a cheat day about once every other week where I can have a "normal" meal, like tacos or a bagel for breakfast. I usually eat once a day and try to eat only when I'm hungry. Fasting is important, as you mentioned, to allow the body to burn fat. I take supplements for vitamins and minerals, and I also take fish oil supplements. I'm just not a fan of fish, I'd rather have a steak all day, . I'm glad you've found something that you like and can sustain. I feel the same way, like I can eat this way forever and maintain a healthy weight. Thanks again for the positive feedback!
Steak? Including hamburger?..... Yeah.
There was a famous body builder some years ago who used the "Steak and Egg Diet" to shred unwanted fat. He says any time he got hungry he fixed up a plate of steak and eggs.

I am pretty sure you would get everything you need that way, but it would get tiring for some people.
I stick to an 80/20 plan where about 80% of my meals are high protein and high satiety and 20% are just .... not. My steak and egg breakfast (it use to be pork chop) is one thing I will never give up. I buy 1/3 pound uncooked Angus burger patties 12 at a time. It's not nearly as expensive as you might think.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:17 PM

487 posts, read 638,462 times
I started the carnivore diet on April 1st. So far I've lost 8lbs yet put on some muscle at the same time. Five days a week I do strength training with moderate heavy weights and cardio at least 3 days a week. I also walk our dog 1 to 2 miles a day. I'm just trying to shed a little fat, so I'm almost halfway to my fitness level goal. I'm not hung up on a scale number.

I do include some dairy, namely cheese, sugar free Greek yogurt, sour cream and cream cheese. I only eat 2x's a day with one or two small snacks, lots of water and I make a 20oz electrolyte drink every day. I also eat 4 to 6 eggs with my first meal after my morning workout. So I'll usually have a hamburger meat scramble or a piece of steak with over easy eggs. My evening meal is usually just meat with a dab of sour cream or cream cheese on it for added fat. Snacks are sugar free jerkey, pork rinds or a can of sardines in water.

Besides shedding some fat I have reduced some inflammation in my knee. In fact it's 99% better! Sleep is much better and NO food cravings! When your running your body on fat for energy vs glycogen (sugar, carbs), it runs much more efficiently. I don't plan on going off of carnivore until 90 days is up July 1st. I'm only going to add a few carbs once a week including some berries on my yogurt.

Once you do this WOE it really doesn't feel like its extreme, it just works. I am convinced that vegetables make us sick. If you follow the science behind carnivore it is a fact. Vegetables have a lot of oxalates and other natural inflammatory chemicals that the human body does better without. We do NOT need fiber like we've always been told. So many Doctors are starting to see for themselves the benefits of carnivore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss