Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,293,442 times

Advertisements

I can't offer a ton of advice and I'm probably in no position to be handing it out, as someone who currently is overweight myself...

I can share a little of what I've found to work for me in the past though.

Exercise faithfully, and it WILL become something you crave. I promise. Start slow and simple, work your way up. If the climate is good where you are, just start by walking. I found that when I couldn't exercise I felt worse and CRAVED it and it definitely increased my energy.

Whatever you decide to do in changing what you eat, allow myself one "free day" where I could have whatever worked for me to fight the feelings of deprivation. I think that you'll find that your cravings change as you improve what you eat and on those "free days" you might have a cheeseburger but after a time, you won't be binging like crazy on those days.

I've recently discovered the whole sugar/yeast connection (google it) and while I am only beginning to understand it, I decided just for a few days to drastically reduce my sugar intake and wow, I felt very different. I've found the more sugary foods I allow myself to eat the more I crave and it's a vicious cycle I wasn't even aware of. Then I feel sluggish and sleepy and still crave heavy carbs/sugar. I didn't eliminate sugar completely...I still have it with my coffee for example. I just stopped for a bit with the sugary snacks (ice cream, cookies, etc) and the difference was amazing. Within a few days I felt semi-ALIVE again. LOL. I stuck with it because I felt so much better just by this little change.

I have put the "dessert" back to where it truly belongs and don't allow myself to eat things like cake, cookies, etc., until after I have eaten PLENTY of the right things that day.

I lost 60 pounds years ago by reducing fat/sugar, increasing protein, and exercising 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.

I'm not an expert... and I am currently FAT myself.... I'm just sharing what worked for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 02:42 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodwinked View Post
Now i walk and walk and walk everyday. Problem is i'm still addicted to BAD FOOD. So i'll get in a great walk and then go home and eat 3 hotdogs!
Don't buy hotdogs, then you won't eat them. Limit your choices beforehand.. never go grocery shopping when your hungry.. rather after you've weighed yourself!

If you don't have the stuff on hand, you won't eat it. That's the approach I take to my lunch.. pack it minimally the evening before, and the next day at noon stare dismally at the contents.. (really, it's not that bad) but what I see is what I got!

I actually find myself enjoying "bad foods" more now, since I limit myself. You're going to savor a jelly donut more if you haven't had one all week.. but limit it to one!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:44 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,615 times
I appreciate all the advise- thanks!

I think what happens to me alot is that by the time i get home from work, i'm literally beat! I can't fathom working out afterwork! Most of the the i get home after 8! I feel sluggish and tired ALL THE TIME.

Maybe the juicer will give me more energy as that is what lacks the most with me.

I have no energy whatsoever by the time I get to MY free time. I feel horrible and embarresed by my weight.

Everytime i pick up a book (the last one was that optimum health by Dr. Weil) it just all sounds like a huge science project. All the calculations and what not sure make the writers of books and fitness trainers sound smart, but they totally turn me off to the point that i lose interest.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:44 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,911 times
Quote:
Well thats the thing, i KNOW i need to be healthier but i keep getting drawn back to overeating and/or eating things that taste SOO GOOOD to me even though the are horrible unhealthy. ITs 40 years worth of bad habits.
There are plenty of other foods that taste AWESOME that are healthy. Start switching to those.

Quote:
Is 'will' enough to break a 40 year old habit? With me it seems no.
Sure it is. A defeatist attitude will only hinder your progress. Lose it immediately.

Quote:
I tried weening myself of meat. I did that for awhile and lost 10 points. Then i folded and ate a nice big steak! downhill from there.
What asinine diet had you dropping meat? Meat is a wonderful thing! It seems you need to learn how to eat. Read the linky posted earlier by pitt_transplant.

Quote:
I tried lifting weights and just would get home from work TOO TIRED everyday.
Hey, check this out: We're all too tired, too busy, too this, that, and then some more. We MAKE the time and we arrange our lives based on priorities. Is fitness important to you? Exercise in the morning while you have the energy. Then it's done with and evening time is for sleeping. Got weekends? I know you've got excuses- they don't help. I workout on weekends because I just can't get all 4 days of working out into the weekdays. You can too.

Quote:
Now i walk and walk and walk everyday. Problem is i'm still addicted to BAD FOOD. So i'll get in a great walk and then go home and eat 3 hotdogs!
Do you lift weights? Start lifting along with walking (not necessarily simultaneously). If this is important to you, clean out the bad food and eat GOOD FOOD.

Eat clean for 6 days, then have a cheat day on 7th day (reasonable cheat day, not a stuff your face with a week's worth of junk day).

Quote:
I feel like its seriously an addiction. are there any remedies taking the food addiction approach?
It's mental- you have to convince yourself that a long and healthy life is more important than a donut. Want to see your grandkids? That or a donut. You decide. Think of this in terms that will make you want to be fit. How you think about things is extremely important.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:46 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,307 times
Bee Pollen from the health food store is also a good energizer.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:48 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
TwiloMike, you never cease to amaze me with your fantastic advice and posts. Wish I could give you more rep points because you surely deserve it.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:48 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,911 times
Quote:
Maybe the juicer will give me more energy as that is what lacks the most with me.
A crap diet kills energy. Exercise and a good diet help with sleep, energy, and a general feeling of awesomeness.

Quote:
I have no energy whatsoever by the time I get to MY free time. I feel horrible and embarresed by my weight.
Move things around so you can get your exercising in early in the day.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:51 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,994 times
Quote:
I appreciate all the advise- thanks!

I think what happens to me alot is that by the time i get home from work, i'm literally beat! I can't fathom working out afterwork! Most of the the i get home after 8! I feel sluggish and tired ALL THE TIME.

Everytime i pick up a book (the last one was that optimum health by Dr. Weil) it just all sounds like a huge science project. All the calculations and what not sure make the writers of books and fitness trainers sound smart, but they totally turn me off to the point that i lose interest.
If you start working out and eating right, you will have TONS more energy. Even if you are tired when you get home, work out anyway, you'll feel better afterwards. Your lack of energy is due to a poor diet and lack of activity, eating right and working out will solve it.

I also totally agree on not buying unhealthy food. I don't buy stuff like cookies, Pop Tarts, candy, ect., because if I have them around I'll eat them. Not having them in the house completely solves the problem, and the only time I eat unhealthy is if I'm eating out.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
A crap diet kills energy. Exercise and a good diet help with sleep, energy, and a general feeling of awesomeness.

Move things around so you can get your exercising in early in the day.

i love your kick-ass attitude! It all makes sense. I had a personal trainer at a gym i once was a member at that was like that.

do you think a juicer is a good move to bring in some energy and mentioned upthread?

rigth now, today, this second, my main problem is the energy to get started. by the end of the day i feel dead.

hitting 40 was also a major downer!! i feel like i just live to work, pay my mortgage, eat, sleep and shower. its pathetic

Old 07-31-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
I also totally agree on not buying unhealthy food. I don't buy stuff like cookies, Pop Tarts, candy, ect., because if I have them around I'll eat them. Not having them in the house completely solves the problem, and the only time I eat unhealthy is if I'm eating out.
for someone that likes icecream, cakes, and poptarts- what would be a healthier alternative to snack on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss