Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I dont see rinsed meat tasting very good or looking very good...
You don't notice any difference. It looks the same, just less grease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,287,942 times
Lot's of great advice here! I can so relate to you Hoodwinked. I never liked many raw veggies, didn't care much for fruit but loved meat,sandwiches, carbs, rich foods and sweets and lived with a diet soda in my hand.

The thing that really changed my outlook was swimming. Yeah, I know. The last thing a fat person wants to do is put on a swimsuit and go to a public place to swim. I had to do some tall talking to myself. First of all, I was a poor swimmer. Then I had to get past the whole self-image thing. I finally decided that I was doing this for me. My joints were going and even walking was painful. I needed something that wouldn't be so painful that I would want to stop before I got started.

I likely wouldn't know many folks at the YMCA pool where I hoped to go, so I just backed my ears and decided to give it a go. Yes, I felt very awkward and tentative. First, I just walked back and forth in the water. Then I started to glide a little. The first lap I attempted, I was tuckered out before I made the turn to swim back. So I was truly amazed at how quickly I improved, developed a rhythm and built up my endurance and loved being in the water (though I never put my face under) I quickly was doing 50, then 100, then 150 laps everyday. I felt this happy, positive addiction to swimming and went several times per week. I felt deprived when I had to miss.

That changed how I felt, how I looked and what I craved. I, who seldom drank water, wanted lots of water. I also craved lean meat, salads and vegetables. No, I didn't magically stop craving everything bad for me. I did try to plan and prepare my meals ahead of time when possible so, when I did crave something good for me, it was there ready and waiting. I was then less inclined to go chase down bad food.

Swimming jump started my metabolism and built my confidence. Those little endorphins are great!

Don't know if this is something you'd be willing to try but I definitely recommend it. If you're comfortable doing it, have your girlfriend go with you until you feel more secure swimming on your own.

Then start integrating some of the tips mentioned in earlier posts. Try not to eat the last three hours before bedtime. Good luck. You can do it!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:37 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You don't notice any difference. It looks the same, just less grease.
What about the seasonings?

I totally visualized this soggy brick of meatlof being flopped on a plate.LOL

I know its not that bad...but LOL

Are you not a seasoner type cook?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:23 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yes, after. Just put it in a colander and pour boiling hot water over it.

(If you have septic don't pour it down the drain, hold it over a bowl or something)
Okay dumb question...

I've done this before, but I was taught to season the meat as it cooked and when I do this, all the seasoning goes away... so do you season after you rinse then? Does it make a difference in the taste?

Sorry for not understanding.

One thing I do know though is that you should not pour it down the drain, septic or otherwise. Our city has a big campaign about grease in drains... some silly "Grease Monster" thing they post on buses, billboards, etc. My mom always used a coffee can.

Anyways...

Old 08-05-2008, 06:06 PM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,483 times
Maybe its just me, but I seem to remember that the coffee can in my mom's frig always had bacon fat in it for future use. I think about that today and I just want to HURL! OMG I did learn how to cook from my wonderful mom but I do not cook like her at all. I make vegies crisp and not over cooked but I season with the same herbs she did (but I use fresh or grow my own). She also used meats and I sub in Tofu. Anyway just my two cents worth. Bacon fat EEEEKK!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:56 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,454 times
Sprouts guys!!! I love sprouts.....alfalfa sprouts to be exact. They are so good for you because they contain enzymes and enzymes aid in digestion.........this being said....if you can consume more enzymes your food digests faster and less is absorbed and stored as fat. Put them on a turkey sandwich or in your green sallad.....yummy

Old 08-06-2008, 06:44 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
Try the blood type diet. I'm not as thin as I'd like to be but this diet approach has helped me a lot.

The Blood Type Diet :: Peter D'Adamo

Whatever your blood type is, follow the recommended regimen for a month or so. If you are blood type O, take the wheat and dairy out and add protein, veggies and exercise. If you are an A go vegetarian, etc. The blood type diet is the best kept secret in the world.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:56 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,670,441 times
hoodwinked, I think it's wonderful that you want to break the chain of obesity and improve your life. I can relate to your story and have found these life style changes work wonders:

- take a multi-vitamin every day, so you know you're getting the nutrition you
need as you cut down your food intake

- drink water instead of other drinks, it saves you tons of calories each day

- eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner and mind your portion sizes - a serving of
meat should be the size of a deck of cards or less, bread should be two
slices, half a bagel or muffin, pasta is one cup, fruits and veggies as much
as you want, but try to eat them without toppings/dressings, dairy
products eat sparingly

- if you get hungry between meals drink water or eat fruits and/or veggies
without toppings, you can eat all of the fruits and vegetables you want

- take small bites and eat very slowly or use chopsticks to slow you down
(your stomach doesn't know you've eaten for about half an hour)

- only eat out once a week - meals out are very caloric - that's why they
taste so good

- when you eat at a restaurant ask them to only serve you half of the meal
and box the other half for you to take home (yes, they do this)

- if you have a craving for something - give in to it, but only eat a small
amount, half a cup or less, of what you're craving and savor every bite
(you're only allowed to give in to one craving per day)

- cut out one hour of tv viewing, computer usage, gaming, etc. and go
for a walk, swim, bike ride, etc. (It's more fun to do this with someone
because the time goes a lot faster, it becomes a social thing, and you can
motivate each to do it when you don't feel like it.) If you can't go for an
hour, go as long as you can the first day and each day go for one additional
minute.

- if you want to eat something fattening, and you've used up your one
craving, don't give in to it - read a book, go for a walk, call a friend, take a
nap, play Wii, go golfing, etc. (It gets easier the longer you do it.)

Remember that you didn't get to your current weight overnight and you
won't get to your ideal weight quickly either, but you are saving your life by instituting these changes. Your chances of developing diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and other chronic diseases are cut dramatically by losing weight. It's not easy at first, but the more you practice healthy habits the more weight you'll lose, the more energy you'll have, the better you'll feel, and the more you'll be the person you want to be. I'm very proud of you for coming here and asking for help. No one can change the past, my friend, but the future is ours to make into whatever we wish.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times
I read this recently. Might help a bit. Might so some weights, and also do your best to get a good night's sleep. People who sleep better, are better able to lose weight.

[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

Old 08-06-2008, 10:10 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,107 times
HI Hoodwinked I sent you a PM regarding your comment about food addiction. There's help out there for that and people can be addicted to foods and compulsive overeating. If you are one of those people you may have to accept that there will be certain foods you will never be able to eat in moderation and that will trigger cravings that send you into a binge.

The good news is it's never too late to start eating to live instead of living to eat. Life is so much easier when food is not in control! Hang in there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss