Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:13 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodwinked View Post
for someone that likes icecream, cakes, and poptarts- what would be a healthier alternative to snack on?
Carrots, fruit, and an occasional small piece of cake. Pick less sugary cakes. You can snack on nuts (raw), fruits and veggies (raw). You'll know that you have a cheat day ahead of you so it won't be torturous. Just make sure to limit your cheat day to a single day: again, priorities. Beware of "low fat" or "low calorie" or "low sugar" pre-packaged foods- they're loaded with synthetic substitutes that are no better for you than the stuff you have to cut out.

Here is a tip for you and your wife regarding grocery shopping: shop the perimeter. If you notice, the natural foods (veggies, fish, meat, dairy) are on the perimeter of the store. It's once you get into the aisles that you see pre-packaged stuff: avoid it. Shop the perimeter, find things you like amond the GOOD foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 03:18 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,491 times
40 shouldn't feel like a downer. I'm 40 - great time of life!

Everyone is right - we can all come up with a TON of excuses. There are people on here juggling being parents of little ones but are still working their hardest to get their workout in. That's not easy!
I ran my 4 miles last night at 8pm because I couldn't get it in in the morning. This morning, the LAST thing I felt like doing was getting up and running again - I was so tired. But I did - and when you mentally get past something it's the best feeling.

The first couple of weeks will be the hardest - and it takes a while to build a habit. You have to mentally push through. You'll start to see you have more energy the more you exercise.

You certainly don't want to let the junk food win and have that kind of power over you, do you? This forum can be a great place for you to get support!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:22 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,799 times
Quote:
for someone that likes icecream, cakes, and poptarts- what would be a healthier alternative to snack on?
Yup...carrots make awesome snacks. Some people say they are "negative calorie" meaning they take more calories to digest then you get out of them, but there is some debate over it. Either way, if you are hungry, they are a good snack.

For you sugar fix if you need one during the day, hit up some fruit. I like dried fruit myself because it keeps better, I eat a lot of dried pineapples, figs, dates, prunes, ect. Bananas also work well for a larger snack. Eating a bunch of small meals and snacks throughout the day, staying within your weight-loss calorie range, will keep you full, if you get really hungry you will be more likely to pig out on something unhealthy and eat to much. Hunger is a weight losses worst enemy!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:28 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
A crap diet kills energy. Exercise and a good diet help with sleep, energy, and a general feeling of awesomeness.

Move things around so you can get your exercising in early in the day.
This is SOOOOO true about energy.

On another board I'm on for another issue, the motto is "Motivation FOLLOWS action". Bascially this means it's painful and sucks but you have to force yourself to do what you need to do, THEN the motivation follows. I didn't believe it until I tried it, and it is true.

I didn't want to believe the connection between my crap diet and my energy level until I forced myself to try it and guess what? That's true too. It may help you to allow yourself "just a week" of eating better, if you get scared by the idea of committing to it. Just a week comes and goes and you feel better and you will WANT to keep feeling better.

As for foods;

Angel food cake with a fruit topping is a good cake-treat that's a better alternative. It's still cake, but not as bad as heavier options.

I am now in the habit of eating yogurt with fresh fruit to satisfy my sweets cravings. Not the pre-mixed kind (but that's fine if you like it), but my own version with plain or vanilla yogurt and a variety of fruits to keep it interesting. I swear it tastes almost as good as ice cream to me now.

I try here lately NOT to let myself get "ravenous" because that's when I end up eating whatever the heck I can find. So I try and eat a little here and there and I will allow myself to have X as long as I eat Y and Z first. Usually by the time I eat Y and Z (good for me) I don't want X anymore, or only want a little bite.

I agree with the others.. don't have it in your house and you won't eat it. If it means you have to go somewhere to get it, you're more likely to eat what you have at home instead.

I understand being beat, but as others have said, you will notice an energy level increase even if you start out doing just a LITTLE.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:35 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,538 times
Quote:
Carrots, fruit, and an occasional small piece of cake. Pick less sugary cakes. You can snack on nuts (raw), fruits and veggies (raw). You'll know that you have a cheat day ahead of you so it won't be torturous. Just make sure to limit your cheat day to a single day: again, priorities. Beware of "low fat" or "low calorie" or "low sugar" pre-packaged foods- they're loaded with synthetic substitutes that are no better for you than the stuff you have to cut out.

Here is a tip for you and your wife regarding grocery shopping: shop the perimeter. If you notice, the natural foods (veggies, fish, meat, dairy) are on the perimeter of the store. It's once you get into the aisles that you see pre-packaged stuff: avoid it. Shop the perimeter, find things you like amond the GOOD foods.
love the tip! i think i'm trying that this weekend.

With regard to eating stuff like carrots and raw veggies, etc... those are things i've HATED all my life! It's like punishment! lol

i know i'm waaayy past the stage of taking responsibility for my health. i don't know why it's so hard for me to do the things I KNOW I NEED TO DO.arghhhh!!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
love the tip! i think i'm trying that this weekend.

With regard to eating stuff like carrots and raw veggies, etc... those are things i've HATED all my life! It's like punishment! lol
How much do you love being fat and unhealthy? I said it before and I'll say it again: excuses are not the way to get ahead and excuses don't lose you fat.

Quote:
i know i'm waaayy past the stage of taking responsibility for my health.
Bull****.

Quote:
i don't know why is so hard for me to do the things I KNOW I NEED TO DO.arghhhh!!
Because you'd rather be fat and comfortable than be inconvenienced a bit and be fit. Excuses are easier than actions. Prove me wrong. I dare you.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:50 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,454 times
Quote:
How much do you love being fat and unhealthy? I said it before and I'll say it again: excuses are not the way to get ahead and excuses don't lose you fat.

Bull****.

Because you'd rather be fat and comfortable than be inconvenienced a bit and be fit. Excuses are easier than actions. Prove me wrong. I dare you.
Hey....be nice, meanie that's not exactly the way to get your point across..... I agree with you but you didn't have to be so mean about it

Old 07-31-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Hey....be nice, meanie that's not exactly the way to get your point across..... I agree with you but you didn't have to be so mean about it
That wasn't mean at all. It was direct and masculine. Big difference.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:55 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,454 times
Quote:
That wasn't mean at all. It was direct and masculine. Big difference.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:59 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
I was fat as a kid, and I got made fun of for it at school. Did it make me want to lose weight? No, it didn't, if anything it made me go home and eat more and feel bad about myself.

What did get me motivated? Going on a hike with one of my friends and getting my a$$ kicked, huffing and puffing the whole way, and knowing that I'd live a lot longer and healthier if I got in shape.

"Tough Love" may work on some people but on many, many other people it just makes them feel even worse and resentful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss