Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'm a diet soda junkie and I drink LOTS of Orange diet soda like Sunkist. Never gained weight or had bad ill effects from lots of it! If I can't treat myself to nice candies, cookies, or ice cream, then I treat myself to a cold glass of diet soda.

Diet soda is harmless to me. My brother and Dad dranks lots of regular soda and got kidney stones; not me!
Aspartame......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 AM

304 posts, read 1,326,760 times
I was really surprised to read this whole thread and no one mentioned one serious issue caused by drinking a lot (more than one per day) of carbonated bevarages. Carbonated beverages fizz up and continue to hold some of that even in the digestive track, keeping your tummy more bloated than it would normally be, and actually add to you not losing weight because your stomach will not shrink down as rapidly as it should, therefore causing you to not feel full and eat more (or feel starved). My mother had gastric bypass and this is something the doc told her. It may have very little effect on what you can actually feel physically in your body since, unless you had gastric, your stomach size was not altered overnight, but as someone trying to lose weight you DO want your stomach to shrink down.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:25 PM

591 posts, read 664,206 times
Yes, stop drinking diet soda. I research this. The artificial sugar, makes you hungrier so you are eating more. Stick with water, every meal, and 8oz of water a day. Decaf tea, is not bad, if not taken too often.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:35 PM

36 posts, read 91,932 times
Looking at all aspects, soda is not good, whether regular or diet.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 PM

114 posts, read 340,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurtureyou View Post
Water is always the best, but everything in moderation is my motto. I read the University at Berkeley Wellness Letter and Nutrition Action Newsletter published by the Center for Science in the Public Interest. These and other sources say that excessive amounts (i.e. 50 cans a day) of saccharin was linked to cancer in rats, but typical amounts pose no measurable risks. The colas were linked to a higher risk of osteoporosis in several studies, but the latest report I read on the negated that finding.
agreed.

look, nothing in excess is good. only water is best, but not realistic. I limit myself to one or two diet drinks per day and usually with a meal so that I'm satisfied. another thing I do is buy the Crystal Light packs that make quart sizes. Fruit Punch is phenomenal and really satisfying.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:50 PM

372 posts, read 534,244 times
YES.

Look at the studies.

Substitute with cold green tea or lemonade with stevia.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:34 AM

30 posts, read 73,650 times
Think about it, did regular and/or diet soda ever become beneficial to your body? Aside from its good taste and it quenches your thirst, soda is soda, diet or regular. Whether losing weight or not, I think it is not advisable to drink it, not even a drop.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:15 PM

21 posts, read 47,080 times
they always say... everything in moderation. but, if you can't only drink 1 then i would go cold turkey.
the problem is... what to replace it with. that soda was filling a void: a mid-afternoon pick me up, a sugar craving, or whatever.
so, to replace it with water is not only too bland but, if you are looking for a quick energy boost.. it's not going to do that.

i dropped soda all together and did a lot of trial and error to find the right replacement. I am now drinking Shaklee's energy tea mix. it's a safe, natural energy boost and it tastes good hot or cold.
check it out
Cinch (http://www.cinchplan.com/susanrahn/realyou/products - broken link) click on the pic of the tea (2nd from right).

Old 08-30-2009, 05:13 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Overweight people drink Diet Coke.
Thin people drink regular Coke.
from

//www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...s-truisms.html

"In addition, some epidemiological studies find that people who regularly consume artificially sweetened drinks carry, on average, a few more pounds than people who don't.

Research has shown that drinking an artificially sweetened beverage can whet the appetite and stimulate people to eat more in a subsequent meal -- an effect not seen when people drink a sugared beverage or glass of water before eating. It suggests that artificial sweeteners may turn on brain areas that create appetite, but not provide satiation."

from

The brain may not be fooled by sugar substitutes -- latimes.com

Last edited by Charles; 08-30-2009 at 05:26 AM..

Old 08-30-2009, 06:18 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't know if I buy all of that... I've been drinking Diet Pepsi religiously since childhood, and still managed to lose 55 lbs. without much trouble - and without cutting out the soda. I won't say it's GOOD for you, and of course water is much better, but I'm calling BS on the weight gain thing.

That being said, I do need to start replacing at least 1-2 of my daily Diet Pepsis with water... another one of my goals for the year.

I second this. I weigh about 140 lbs and drink diet soda every day. Usually only 1 or 2 glasses and I see no difference if I drink it or not. I think people take it to the extreme in the U.S. They are either health nuts or overweight/obese. Some of the people trying to be healthy here just tell you what they've heard on t.v. I'm not naturally thin either as I did weigh 175 lbs. I have stayed around 140 for the last 5 years drinking diet soda the whole time. I also run a lot and compete in 10k road races and see no effect on my running times as I have had periods of not drinking any soda.

What you do have to watch out for is the sports and fruit drinks that people are pushing, since they are largely full of sugar and calories. I would take diet soda over them any day. Most of the ice tea mixes are also high in calories and sugar. It's not realistic to say water and only water to most modern people. Just make sure you are drinking enough water throughout the day to stay hydrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss