Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:25 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,755 times

Advertisements

Diet soda contains caffine which can stimulate your appetite. It also containes chemical sweetners that can harm your health and a lot of sodium that can cause you to retain water.
Your best bet is to switch to water. If your water tastes terrible try adding just a bit of fruit juice to it. It tastes better and that touch of sweetness will help you keep your blood sugar in balance and help tame your appetite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 06:31 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Diet soda contains caffine which can stimulate your appetite.

Some diet sodas contains caffeine....

Old 08-30-2009, 10:08 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
All sodas contain sugar and HFCS so if you REALLY are on a diet, you would NOT be drinking ANY sodas.

Bottom line - dont say you are on a diet if youre drinking sodas. How about this, tell us exactly what type of diet you're on. Does your diet allow for soda or are you just lacking the will power to cut out sodas? Hate to break this to you but you may not succeed in your diet if youre drinking sodas.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
All sodas contain sugar and HFCS

Are you sure, including Diet Coke?

Diet Coke Ingrediants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And even if diet sodas do contain sugar and HFCS, are the amounts even remotely significant?

Old 08-30-2009, 10:42 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Are you sure, including Diet Coke?

Diet Coke Ingrediants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And even if diet sodas do contain sugar and HFCS, are the amounts even remotely significant?
They are significant if you call yourself being on a diet.

Someone who says I am on a diet but is still drinking sodas is probably not really on a diet. Or, they are doomed to failure.

Its like saying "Im on a diet but I still have cake and icing with chocolate candy bars a couple times per week".

Old 08-30-2009, 11:01 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
I rarely drink soda any more, but when I do, it is diet. However, years ago, a soft drink salesman told me that for carbonated fountain drinks, the coils and cords in the machines were easily corroded and destroyed by the diet drinks because of the additives. He said that it took many years for regular soda to do the same thing. I would seriously try to limit the number of diet drinks per day.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
They are significant if you call yourself being on a diet.

Someone who says I am on a diet but is still drinking sodas is probably not really on a diet. Or, they are doomed to failure.

Its like saying "Im on a diet but I still have cake and icing with chocolate candy bars a couple times per week".

I'm not sure I understand this, especially the cause and effect.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:52 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,933,076 times
Although diet sodas are 0 calories, and therefore won't hurt your weight loss efforts, they are filled with chemicals and horrible for you. I know, I used to drink tons of Coke Zero... just cut it out cold-turkey, and always keep water around. You'll forget you liked it.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 982 times
okay, I HATE how people always critize diet drinks, I drink at least 2 cans per day, exercise regularly , and am im the best conditions of my life, yeah everything in excess is bad for you, might have some effects on me later in life.. what doesn't right? Also don't assume diet drinkers gain weight, their is no proof for that assumption yet, people see it as im going to drink a diet soda and save the calories to indulge in a huge meal, hence they gain weight.. make sense? They are their own weakness.. does help my sugar cravings and in a healthy way possible.. and I am NOWHERE near diabetes.. so yeah.. said what I had to say feels nice to know their are others that think like me as for those that think my article is bull, I can care less keep living your life and leave the diet drinkers alone, we mean no harm.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:18 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times

I drink about three cans of Diet Coke a day & have for years (since it was first introduced over thirty years ago). I never gain weight , am even a little underweight and really have had no ill effects from it whatsoever.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss