Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 06:13 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,711,666 times

Advertisements

oatmeal fills you up and tuna also is good but skip the mayo also a baked potato without sour cream would be filling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 04:38 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,246,003 times
Some people may benefit from a ketogenic diet plan.
It is a high fat, moderate protein, low carbohydrate diet.
The key is appetite suppression via high fat intake.
Once the body is keto-adapted, the "whoosh" occurs, and weight falls off.

Best of all, there are no cravings nor bingeing as long as the brain is well fed with ketones.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:24 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Some people may benefit from a ketogenic diet plan.
It is a high fat, moderate protein, low carbohydrate diet.
The key is appetite suppression via high fat intake.
Once the body is keto-adapted, the "whoosh" occurs, and weight falls off.

Best of all, there are no cravings nor bingeing as long as the brain is well fed with ketones.
This diet is not for everyone. It works for some, not for others, like myself. The long term health issues of this diet are starting to come to light. Eating that much protein and fat does a number on the gall bladder, heart and kidneys.
So while it is the way to go for you, (congrats!) People who are interested in it need to do some unbiased homework on it to make sure it is something that will work for them.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:52 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,246,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
This diet is not for everyone. It works for some, not for others, like myself. The long term health issues of this diet are starting to come to light. Eating that much protein and fat does a number on the gall bladder, heart and kidneys.
So while it is the way to go for you, (congrats!) People who are interested in it need to do some unbiased homework on it to make sure it is something that will work for them.
There are variations of the diet that suggest high protein consumption, but the one I am most familiar with is based on "just enough" protein - unlike the high protein diets of the past (my bane).
As to the notion that a HIGH FAT diet is dangerous, consider that the American Indians relied on pemmican for their long term food stores and it was 81% FAT - a very ketogenic food.

KETOGENIC DIET REFERENCE
. . .
Protein, Carb = 4 calories / gram
Fat = 9 calories / gram
. . .
Suggested protein consumption is 0.36 - 0.5g per pound of body weight. However, when protein is consumed above .68 - .81g per pound of body weight, it actually increases the formation of glucose (gluconeogenesis), which makes it difficult to get individuals into ketosis.
And you should eat less that 20 g carbohydrates to keep in ketosis.
Ketogenic diets suggest fat intake between 79% and 85% of calories, protein at 15-17% of calories, carbs at 2 - 4%.
. . .
New You Formula:
1. Protein goal: [Target Weight] x 0.5 = grams of protein;
. . Grams x 4 = calories
2. Total calories = [protein calories] / 0.15
3. Fat calories = 0.83 x [Total calories];
. . Grams of fat = [Fat calories] / 9
4. Carb calories = 0.02 x [Total calories];
. . Divide by 4 to get carb g

In Calories (83%, 15%, 2%); In Grams (68%, 27%, 4%) (F,P,C)

Ex: For target weight of 145
145 x 0.5 = 72.5g protein; x 4 = 290 calories of protein; / 0.15 = 1,933 calories
1,933 x 0.83 = 1605 cal fat; / 9 = 178 g fat;
1,933 x 0.02 = 39 cal carb; / 4 = 10 g carb.

Your daily goal is 178g fat, 72.5 g protein, 10g carbohydrates
(Divide by the number of meals per day to get your meal goals)

Old 12-20-2016, 04:07 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
There are variations of the diet that suggest high protein consumption, but the one I am most familiar with is based on "just enough" protein - unlike the high protein diets of the past (my bane).
As to the notion that a HIGH FAT diet is dangerous, consider that the American Indians relied on pemmican for their long term food stores and it was 81% FAT - a very ketogenic food.

KETOGENIC DIET REFERENCE
. . .
Protein, Carb = 4 calories / gram
Fat = 9 calories / gram
. . .
Suggested protein consumption is 0.36 - 0.5g per pound of body weight. However, when protein is consumed above .68 - .81g per pound of body weight, it actually increases the formation of glucose (gluconeogenesis), which makes it difficult to get individuals into ketosis.
And you should eat less that 20 g carbohydrates to keep in ketosis.
Ketogenic diets suggest fat intake between 79% and 85% of calories, protein at 15-17% of calories, carbs at 2 - 4%.
. . .
New You Formula:
1. Protein goal: [Target Weight] x 0.5 = grams of protein;
. . Grams x 4 = calories
2. Total calories = [protein calories] / 0.15
3. Fat calories = 0.83 x [Total calories];
. . Grams of fat = [Fat calories] / 9
4. Carb calories = 0.02 x [Total calories];
. . Divide by 4 to get carb g

In Calories (83%, 15%, 2%); In Grams (68%, 27%, 4%) (F,P,C)

Ex: For target weight of 145
145 x 0.5 = 72.5g protein; x 4 = 290 calories of protein; / 0.15 = 1,933 calories
1,933 x 0.83 = 1605 cal fat; / 9 = 178 g fat;
1,933 x 0.02 = 39 cal carb; / 4 = 10 g carb.

Your daily goal is 178g fat, 72.5 g protein, 10g carbohydrates
(Divide by the number of meals per day to get your meal goals)
Again, this diet is not for everyone. And it certainly is not the most healthy way to eat regardless of weight loss.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:25 PM

676 posts, read 529,396 times
Best of luck to you! What worked for me is a diet I could live with for the rest of my life. What doesn't work for me is anything that is too hard too fast. I just kept falling off the wagon.

My advice .... start by eliminating the most unhealthy thing from your diet. That's it ... just the one thing. My husband tried this and began losing weight immediately.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:08 PM

711 posts, read 690,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
Best of luck to you! What worked for me is a diet I could live with for the rest of my life. What doesn't work for me is anything that is too hard too fast. I just kept falling off the wagon.

My advice .... start by eliminating the most unhealthy thing from your diet. That's it ... just the one thing. My husband tried this and began losing weight immediately.
I read your post and thought it was something I had posted and just didn't remember! I agree with you on absolutely every point. I especially agree with finding a way to eat that allows me to be at a healthy weight and doesn't feel like a "diet" and allows for the occasional indulgence.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:40 PM

676 posts, read 529,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
I read your post and thought it was something I had posted and just didn't remember! I agree with you on absolutely every point. I especially agree with finding a way to eat that allows me to be at a healthy weight and doesn't feel like a "diet" and allows for the occasional indulgence.
Yep. Otherwise, it won't last. Start with one thing, do that for two weeks, see if you can change another 'thing', do that for two weeks .... and so on.

The key is to choose things that are fairly easy to change and if you fall off the wagon, just start over again.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:44 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,517,440 times
What worked for me was having two cheat meals per week. Basically I ate reduced calories five days per week (nothing unhealthy though) and two days of little restriction. This helped tremendously because I didn't feel as if I was on a diet even though I was restricting calories. It put an end to the inclination to binge eat because I didn't (and still don't) deprive myself of anything. I followed mostly one rule - I could eat "bad", but only twice per week. That made eating "clean" for the remaining days easier for me. I repeat, thanks to cheat meals, no binge eating, no looking longingly at unhealthy choices, no food obsession.

But here's the kicker that people may or may not follow - I work out four times per week for about 1.5 hours. I do pretty high intensity cardio and I lift weights. To get leaner (last ten lbs), I had to cut the cheat meals from two days to one but I didn't eliminate them entirely. Another thing that's key is body acceptance. I'm 41, I'm not going to have the body of a goddess. I am going to be healthy and work my ass off at the gym. I'm not going to starve myself like I did twenty years ago. If that means no six pack, then no damn six pack. Seriously, I don't give a flip about that. I look good and my husband thinks so too...and really if both of us like what we see and I'm healthy then who cares what others think?

Old 12-31-2016, 10:36 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,025,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Just needing a little support here. I am 5'6" and weigh about 230. In January of 2005, I weighed 245. I went on a diet (simply ate lunch at Subway, Lean Cuisine dinners, and cut out all fast/junk food). I walked on the treadmill about 15-20 minutes per night. I was consuning 1000-1200 calories per day. By June, I had dropped to 159 and felt great! That winter, I started gaining it back... little by little. I never really ate much more (started consuming 1500-2500 cals per day), and stopped exercising. Now here it is 2008 and I am back up to almost what I was at. I obviously have poor metabolism since I cannot consume 2000 cals without gaining weight.

In 2007, I tried losing it again, doing the exact same things, but the weight was not coming off. I gave up and gained more weight!

Now after looking in the mirror, squeezing into my pants, its time to get it off again. I guess I will have to try even harder. I have been walking about 2 miles per day now (at the local high school track) for about 3 weeks, but not really cut out fast food until now. I have decided that stops now.

Starting tomorrow, I am going back to 1000-1200 cals per day and getting back on the treadmill.

I mainly just want to post updates and appreciate and tips/support anyone can give. All of my friends/family are "nice" and say I do not need to lose weight, but they are just being nice I guess, because I am pudgy. I mainly want to do it for my health. I am overweight and I know it. Diabetes also runs in my family and being overweight, I know I am at risk for it, so this is another reason I want to get on a good diet/weight routine.

Thanks!
This doctor/researcher from the BBC was able to lose weight and stop taking his diabetes meds when he adopted this diet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWtaLLjJzn4&t=198s

But I think the biggest issue for a lot of people is they focus too much on losing weight instead of adopting a certain lifestyle and making it permanent. If your goal is just to lose weight, you'll quit once you reach your goal weight. If your goal is to live a permanently healthy lifestyle and healthy habits, then that is a totally different focus, and the weight, or lack thereof, is just a side effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss