Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 11:07 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,851,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If people LOVE all foods and the "dead" breads....then eat your hearts out and stay fat. Not willing to change things, and as we age, change is needed...then stay fat. I ate it all MOST of my life but had to change if I want to be as healthy as possible.

I LIKE all foods, but foods are not my Love.
Uh, I am not fat. I am fit, healthy, have an enviable cholesterol level and low blood pressure. Imagine that. I eat from all the food groups. I also avoid fast food, pre packaged foods, and any kind of junk food. I eat whole, fresh foods, and my husband and I cook every night. We even have a glass of wine! How is this done without eliminating bread? OMG! Its downright supernatural!
Actually its called watching ones caloric intake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 12:20 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,560,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I never eat rice. Ever.

And Keto eating works VERY WELL for me.

It takes commitment. No matter what you do to lose the weight, unless one makes LIFE CHANGES, the weight will come back on. Period. So one's attitude has to shift to "what permanent changes can I make to maintain?" For ME, the easiest permanent change was to follow keto. So simple and so satisfying. And, as an added bonus, I'm very healthy - blood work to prove it! I now eat to live, not live to eat.

I go by the saying "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". I find it's very true.

I recently went to a restaurant where a side of white rice was automatically included with all entress, with fried rice as an "upgrade". My friend got the fried rice, and I said, "No rice." Our server verified, "No rice?" When the food was brought out, she brought a small cup of fried rice "just in case". I politely said, "No thanks," and pushed it to the side. A few minutes later, a second server walked by and set down a full bowl of white rice, because "everyone wants rice". Um, no. After we were done eating, she asked, "You don't like rice?!" Um, no...that's why when I ordered, I specifically said, "No rice."
I'm glad it works well for you. It wouldn't work well for me. I'd rather stay fat than follow such a limiting and unappealing diet.

BTW, I didn't follow a ketosis diet and I was thin most of my life. When I gained 60 lbs and had to lose, I didn't follow that diet either but I lost weight. It's called caloric deficit. Now, I eat meat, carbs, veggies, fruit, and dessert and I'm muscular not skinny. Exercise and being fit has caused improvement with my numbers, not how many carbs I eat.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:28 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,560,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If people LOVE all foods and the "dead" breads....then eat your hearts out and stay fat. Not willing to change things, and as we age, change is needed...then stay fat. I ate it all MOST of my life but had to change if I want to be as healthy as possible.

I LIKE all foods, but foods are not my Love.

Yup, I love food. I eat carbs that are simple and complex. I eat dessert every night too. I eat a carb with my meat. I'm not fat. I did change things as I got older - I work my buns off at the gym. I push myself harder and harder as I lift so that I am gaining muscle vs. losing it. I watch the quantity of food that I eat to not offset the exercise that I do.

While I watch what I eat, I REFUSE to submit myself to restrictive diets that dictate that I must not eat particular food groups. If that works for you, then have at it. I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yup, I love food. I eat carbs that are simple and complex. I eat dessert every night too. I eat a carb with my meat. I'm not fat. I did change things as I got older - I work my buns off at the gym. I push myself harder and harder as I lift so that I am gaining muscle vs. losing it. I watch the quantity of food that I eat to not offset the exercise that I do.

While I watch what I eat, I REFUSE to submit myself to restrictive diets that dictate that I must not eat particular food groups. If that works for you, then have at it. I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
I work out a lot to. I love pushing myself. This type of exercise allows me to have indulgences. Also when I have tried low carb my exercise suffered. I did not perform half as well than when I ate more carbs.
To each his own I say!

Old 08-15-2016, 01:18 PM

19,912 posts, read 22,853,217 times
It can be done. I think the key to avoiding weight gain is to avoid the crash diets and focus on balance.

In January I decided to return to my old lifestyle (notice return). I was 6' and 240lbs- got lazy as a middle aged dad raising kids. I used to hike a lot, outdoor chores- I was active in my 20's and 30's. 6' 185lbs was my old weight (I'm a large frame guy). In my forties I stopped most of that old lifestyle, drank too much beer and didn't watch my diet. Boom- massive weight gain.

January 14th I changed all that. I decided to be a kid again. What I mean is that when I was younger I ate nothing from a bag. We had no sodas, chips, processed foods. I played outside for hours. I had 'kid time'.

So I cut out alcohol. I eat 1,800-2,000 calories per day of GOOD food. Fresh proteins, lots of green vegetables, tons of fruit. No candy, no chips- none of that. If I'm hungry I eat, I just make sure it is good food!

I walk or hike every day- 4 miles at a minimum. I make time for it EVERY DAY. I play with the dogs outside- I mean I PLAY with them. Running, wrestling- having a ball. It is my 'kid time'. I started lifting weights again but backed off until I reach a goal weight (I would bulk up too fast). I have lost 45lbs since January, slowly.. I'm starting to introduce more vigorous cardio as well, and when I drop 5 more pounds I pick the weights up again.

I know if I stop what I'm doing the weight will come back. I know I have to 'reset' my metabolism, which occurs slowly over time. I've adopted the mentality that I cannot go back, ever. No beer, no chips or snack foods, no fast food or calorie laden plates from Applebees or Outback. That has stopped, no longer part of my life.

I want to live like a kid again.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:38 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,926,287 times
Quote:
I never eat rice. Ever.

And Keto eating works VERY WELL for me.

It takes commitment. No matter what you do to lose the weight, unless one makes LIFE CHANGES, the weight will come back on. Period. So one's attitude has to shift to "what permanent changes can I make to maintain?" For ME, the easiest permanent change was to follow keto. So simple and so satisfying. And, as an added bonus, I'm very healthy - blood work to prove it! I now eat to live, not live to eat.

I go by the saying "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". I find it's very true.
Come back when you've been eating this way for 15 years and then tell us about how great it is.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:40 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,926,287 times
Quote:
Google Ketogenic or Keto eating. You eat protein, green veggies, and fat. You limit carbs. You will be so satisfied with the fat and protein that you will struggle to eat enough calories on some days!

There are lots of good resources.

My favorite is this site - check out all the resources on the right side. Plug your data into the calculator to get your macros.

It works very well if followed correctly! You'll feel great, you'll look great, and your health numbers will improve dramatically.

Good luck.
This is not the way the healthiest populations in the world eat. They pretty much eat the opposite of this.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:40 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,796,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Come back when you've been eating this way for 15 years and then tell us about how great it is.
I've eaten this way most of my adult life (20s, 30s, and now early 50s), with an exception in the middle (most of my 40s) when my husband was sick and died. It was when I stopped eating this way when I gained weight and was at my unhealthiest. So I've BEEN doing this for 20+ years. It IS great! I get to have bacon and eggs and real butter and coconut oil and meat and veggies and cheese. REAL FOOD. Not processed crap. When I go grocery shopping, I shop the perimeter, not the aisles. Fresh, real food.

Tonight's dinner was Italian sausage with green and red peppers, tomato, onion, and zucchini (all veggies from my garden and sauteed in butter), all topped with cheese. Lunch was an entire avocado, seasoned with salt and pepper and a tomato from the garden.

What's your point, or should I just resume ignoring your posts?

Old 08-15-2016, 07:52 PM

2,545 posts, read 1,886,784 times
Frozen meals are terrible for you. Too much sodium. Cut out all frozen and pre packaged meals. Nothing with hydrogenated oil or vegetable oils. That stuff is dangerous. Use lard or beef tallow to bake, cook and fry with or coconut oil. Cut out dairy. Drink only water, and with lemon, acv, anything natural. Drink real juice, from the glass jars. Probiotic drinks are tasty but expensive. Don't use any of that Crystal stuff you pour in. Good old fashioned brewed tea is good. Get rid of anything with added sugar. Start cooking chicken or beef. Use grass fed and organic. Make your own recipe. Sweet potatoes and quinoa is great.

A paleo diet might be good for you. I went on a high fat diet and lost a lot of weight and have continued to keep my weight down. Eating foods high in fat satisfy you faster so you eat less.

When you go grocery shopping, take the time to read all the ingredients listed on the box or carton of a product.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I've eaten this way most of my adult life (20s, 30s, and now early 50s), with an exception in the middle (most of my 40s) when my husband was sick and died. It was when I stopped eating this way when I gained weight and was at my unhealthiest. So I've BEEN doing this for 20+ years. It IS great! I get to have bacon and eggs and real butter and coconut oil and meat and veggies and cheese. REAL FOOD. Not processed crap. When I go grocery shopping, I shop the perimeter, not the aisles. Fresh, real food.

Tonight's dinner was Italian sausage with green and red peppers, tomato, onion, and zucchini (all veggies from my garden and sauteed in butter), all topped with cheese. Lunch was an entire avocado, seasoned with salt and pepper and a tomato from the garden.

What's your point, or should I just resume ignoring your posts?
So this works for you. Wonderful! Now stop trying to say it will work for everyone. A lot of people have short term success with this type of eating. Eventually they will fail because excluding entire food groups is a very difficult thing to do for life. You are the exception, not the rule.
I am all for people trying what works for them. Its when people get dogmatic about it their way of eating is when they need to step off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss