Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 03:42 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,931,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I've eaten this way most of my adult life (20s, 30s, and now early 50s), with an exception in the middle (most of my 40s) when my husband was sick and died. It was when I stopped eating this way when I gained weight and was at my unhealthiest. So I've BEEN doing this for 20+ years. It IS great! I get to have bacon and eggs and real butter and coconut oil and meat and veggies and cheese. REAL FOOD. Not processed crap. When I go grocery shopping, I shop the perimeter, not the aisles. Fresh, real food.

Tonight's dinner was Italian sausage with green and red peppers, tomato, onion, and zucchini (all veggies from my garden and sauteed in butter), all topped with cheese. Lunch was an entire avocado, seasoned with salt and pepper and a tomato from the garden.

What's your point, or should I just resume ignoring your posts?
Here's what the healthiest peoples of the world eat. These are the main dietary staples of the areas of the world with the lowest chronic diseases of aging and the highest longevity rates. Mostly the opposite of what you are doing.

Ikaria, Greece:
Potatoes, goat's milk, honey, legumes , wild greens, some fruit and relatively small amounts of fish and almost no meat other than the occasional goat meat.

Okinawa, Japan:
Sweet potato, bitter melons, tofu, garlic, brown rice, green tea and shi take mushrooms.

Sardinia, Italy:
goat's milk and sheep's cheese, flat bread, sourdough bread, barley, fennel, fava beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, almonds.

Seventh-day Adventists- Loma Linda, Calif:
Grains, fruits, nuts and vegetables, avocados, salmon, nuts, beans, oatmeal, whole wheat bread and soy milk.

Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica:
Beans, rice, tortillas, corn, squash, papayas, yams, bananas and peach palms.

What do they all have in common? Relatively high amounts of calories from carbs and relatively low amounts of protein and fat from animal sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 05:15 PM

7,221 posts, read 4,915,314 times
I'm with Peach. I lost (and maintained for years) a bunch of weight following a low carb way of eating. Not Keto specifically, I followed a book called Protein Power by Michael & Mary Dan Eades.

I did fall off the wagon and have gained some back, but I'm re-committing and have started back.

Before all you naysayers say "See? Fad diets don't work in the long run!", I say you can fall off a low cal diet just as easily, or stop your incessant working out, and gain it back just as easily.

It's a lifestyle, not a fad diet, just as low cal is. I actually do enjoy lots of meat and fats, and it doesn't bother me to read labels. Bread and the like are a bit of a struggle, but life is a struggle sometimes.

I tried low cal, low fat for years, never ever worked for me. Low carb did.

What works for some does not necessarily work for everyone.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:06 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I'm with Peach. I lost (and maintained for years) a bunch of weight following a low carb way of eating. Not Keto specifically, I followed a book called Protein Power by Michael & Mary Dan Eades.

I did fall off the wagon and have gained some back, but I'm re-committing and have started back.

Before all you naysayers say "See? Fad diets don't work in the long run!", I say you can fall off a low cal diet just as easily, or stop your incessant working out, and gain it back just as easily.

It's a lifestyle, not a fad diet, just as low cal is. I actually do enjoy lots of meat and fats, and it doesn't bother me to read labels. Bread and the like are a bit of a struggle, but life is a struggle sometimes.

I tried low cal, low fat for years, never ever worked for me. Low carb did.

What works for some does not necessarily work for everyone.
Exactly. People need to find what works for them.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:04 AM

7,163 posts, read 12,742,803 times
Thought I'd share this story of a 90 pound weight loss with you while fresh in my mind.

Yesterday, while shopping a sale, got into a conversation with another woman. She was trying on dresses and asking our opinion (myself and salesperson). She looked good in most everything. She told us she had lost 90 pounds over the last year.

Being curious, I asked her how.

She told me:

-- she got a Fit Bit and walked 5-7 miles every day(I should have asked her whether that was inside on a treadmill or outside), but doesn't matter. It was daily.

--she practiced portion control. She told me a dinner for her might be an ear of corn, half a pork chop instead of 1-2, and a big salad with minimal dressing.

So, no complicated diets, surgery, food substitutes, magical potions or pills. Just a lot of exercise and portion control. She told me she went from an 18 dress size to an 8. The salesclerk and I gave her a round of applause!

Old 08-23-2016, 11:10 AM

13,454 posts, read 15,581,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thought I'd share this story of a 90 pound weight loss with you while fresh in my mind.

Yesterday, while shopping a sale, got into a conversation with another woman. She was trying on dresses and asking our opinion (myself and salesperson). She looked good in most everything. She told us she had lost 90 pounds over the last year.

Being curious, I asked her how.

She told me:

-- she got a Fit Bit and walked 5-7 miles every day(I should have asked her whether that was inside on a treadmill or outside), but doesn't matter. It was daily.

--she practiced portion control. She told me a dinner for her might be an ear of corn, half a pork chop instead of 1-2, and a big salad with minimal dressing.

So, no complicated diets, surgery, food substitutes, magical potions or pills. Just a lot of exercise and portion control. She told me she went from an 18 dress size to an 8. The salesclerk and I gave her a round of applause!
When it all comes down to it, the adage "eat less, move more" still applies. What confounds me are those who insist that removing entire food groups from the diet (barring medical reasons, of course) is some sort of weight loss secret. The "secret" is that you are eating less. You'll lose weight if you practice portion control and moderation. Weight reduction IMHO really doesn't have to involve any sort of special diet. You eat what you enjoy but less of it. Or, if you can find a healthier alternative, choose that for more caloric bang for the buck. But I don't subscribe to "no sugar" "no carbs" "no fat" "no...."

Old 09-10-2016, 09:31 AM

4 posts, read 3,112 times
Hello I dont know if you have heard of intermittent fasting before but that could help you become healthier and also lose some of your weight. A lot of the times its the foods we eat that pack on the weight I would suggest a lot of fiber and a natural fat burner. I dont know if you have ever heard of Melaleuca but they sell a lot of weight loss products and supplements in a pack I just got my wife on so well see how that goes it has a lot of the things our bodies need to lose weight.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:47 AM

29,259 posts, read 16,885,337 times
Cut out WHITE Food Stuffs and concentrate on

Protein/Veggies/CLean Water.

Don't TRY, DO IT...

Old 09-10-2016, 12:04 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,983,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenJay1 View Post
Hello I dont know if you have heard of intermittent fasting before but that could help you become healthier and also lose some of your weight.
I second intermittent fasting. Check out The Every Other Day Diet by Dr. Kristin Varady. Works for me as far as losing weight, but far more impressive are the other benefits I've achieved eating this way: lower blood pressure, improved blood test results, and smaller waist. Incidentally, I'm not a fan of 5:2 ( a variation based on Dr Varady's work).

I'd specifically read her section on insulin.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:53 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,834,368 times
Portion control does work. My kid figured out and lost 30 lbs. she was not overweight to start out. She eats everything, not just low carbs. Her sister and I are try to mimicking her, so far so good.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:52 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,216,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
YES, my haircutter who is mid 40's was close to diabetes and when she started her journey weighed 262, she so far has taken off 85 lbs in about 8 months or so. She has eliminated all WHITE foods and sticking with:

Protein/Veggies/Water

And moving more, going to gym and walking.

She is one happy person. And LOOKS and FEELS great.

Uses Primier Protein drink for meal substitutes. I bought some and like this drink. 30grams protein per container.

Do it, don't just try.
The OP's food and exercise plan is very good, along with jaminhealth's suggestions. Sugar makes us want to eat more. Fast food/junk food/high carb foods turn to sugar, so they aren't good choices. I was on a food plan that allowed the highly nutritious squashes, like Butternut, Acorn, Spaghetti squash. In moderation...say in 1 cup portions, these won't cause weight gain and do allow weight loss. In fact, the food plan considered the squashes the same as salad or green beans, for example. Squash is very high in nutrients. We could have 3 cups of veggies at diinner, so I'd have a cup of squash. I would even eat all my 3 cups in squash...and still lost weight. Yum! They are very satisfying. I eat mine plain, with salt and pepper, but you can also season with real butter/olive oil.

A real treat for me is to make "spaghetti" out of zucchini and yellow summer squash....with a Spirooli Spiralizer. Sauted - very lightly (2-4 minutes) so it's not mushy - with butter or olive oil, and chopped garlic and fresh basil, with spaghetti sauce with no sugar or wheat in it, a little parmesan/asiago/romano cheese. Add 4 ounces of Italian sausage, turkey pepperoni, or hamburger....or all 3. This is a meal fit for a King or Queen! I cannot tell the difference between the squash and real pasta. There are a lot of kitchen tools that make spiralized vegetables. Go online and check them out. BTW, I'm gluten sensitive, so real spaghetti isn't an option for me. I believe that most people with weight problems are gluten sensitive or even intolerant. If you want to gain weight, eat a lot of wheat - cookies, cake, crackers, biscuits, muffins, bagels, flour tortillas, bread - and voila! mission accomplished.

Sugar is empty calories and sets up cravings. Our body needs nutritious foods to feel "satisfied". My body type just doesn't handle a lot of carbs...except for the squash, or other starchy fresh veggies in moderation. What makes my body really happy is veggies, salads, protein (fish, chicken, beef, pork etc.), healthy fats, a little fruit - 1 serving per day for me. I don't each cereals because grains, including oatmeal, don't agree with my digestion. Also can't really eat dairy...except once in a great while. As adults, we don't need diary. We also can remain perfectly healthy not eating grains. Substitute almond, coconut, cashew milks for dairy once in a while. I eat homemade soups for breakfast....protein with lots of fresh veggies and seasonings.

Also, be sure to eat healthy fats in moderation....like extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, real butter not "butter" that comes in a carton, squeeze bottle, or other type of plastic container. Make homemade olive oil salad dressing or check out recipes using healthy ingredients. But limit your fats, don't overdo it. I think it's 2-3 tablespoons of extra fat per day, including what you put in your salad dressing. Look this up online and figure out how much healthy fat you need to consume. Sometimes I like fresh lemon or lime juice on a salad...that's all. It tastes really good.

Our physical fitness influences weight loss....the best exercise is whatever *your* mind and body like. Tai Chi is gentle and walking is good. Oh, and lots of plain water...a little ice makes water more palatable if you aren't a water-lover. One thing our food plan said was if you notice a particular food sets you up for craving more, leave that food out.

Last edited by 'M'; 09-29-2016 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss