Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:23 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times

Advertisements

Just needing a little support here. I am 5'6" and weigh about 230. In January of 2005, I weighed 245. I went on a diet (simply ate lunch at Subway, Lean Cuisine dinners, and cut out all fast/junk food). I walked on the treadmill about 15-20 minutes per night. I was consuning 1000-1200 calories per day. By June, I had dropped to 159 and felt great! That winter, I started gaining it back... little by little. I never really ate much more (started consuming 1500-2500 cals per day), and stopped exercising. Now here it is 2008 and I am back up to almost what I was at. I obviously have poor metabolism since I cannot consume 2000 cals without gaining weight.

In 2007, I tried losing it again, doing the exact same things, but the weight was not coming off. I gave up and gained more weight!

Now after looking in the mirror, squeezing into my pants, its time to get it off again. I guess I will have to try even harder. I have been walking about 2 miles per day now (at the local high school track) for about 3 weeks, but not really cut out fast food until now. I have decided that stops now.

Starting tomorrow, I am going back to 1000-1200 cals per day and getting back on the treadmill.

I mainly just want to post updates and appreciate and tips/support anyone can give. All of my friends/family are "nice" and say I do not need to lose weight, but they are just being nice I guess, because I am pudgy. I mainly want to do it for my health. I am overweight and I know it. Diabetes also runs in my family and being overweight, I know I am at risk for it, so this is another reason I want to get on a good diet/weight routine.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 09:46 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,713 times
Best of luck to you. I would recomend entering some events to set your goals. For example, enroll in a charitble 5k in the early spring and train for that. It will give you extra motivation and you will also be donating to a good cause. After that, do a 10k. After that, the sky's the limit. Of course, you have to eat right as well, but I always do a little better with a goal in mind.

*Just my opinion

Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times
I lost 65 lbs mostly by exercise / burning it off, and the weight didn't pack back on because I ate the same as the start of my diet so my metabolism didn't change much. Within the same 10 lb range for 3 years after weight loss.

You have to exercise after you desired weight loss goal to maintain weight, or maybe you can up your intake to 2000 cal and exercise to burn off weight gain until your metabolism adjusts to a 2000 calorie diet without weight gain.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 AM

414 posts, read 1,862,345 times
Yay for you for deciding to make this life change! I am kind of in he same boat. I'm 5'6" and currently weigh 215 lbs. I have been working out for 3 weeks and have so far lost 7 lbs. The best part is is that my clothes are finally starting to feel a little roomy!! I know how it is trying to completely overhaul your life, but it will be worth it! I'll try to encourage you. I know you can do it! I have pretty much cut all the fast food out as well. Don't beat yourself up if you fall off. There's always tomorrow. Don't forget to indulge yourself as well once in a while or you will never make this a life change. Have a piece of chocolate once in a while, but remember everything is in moderation. I don't know what your schedule is like, but I have transformed myself into an early morning workout person. I get up at six and hit the gym or walk with the dog from 7 to 8. I'm at work by 9. It gets my workouts out of the way for the day and I feel fantastic! It has totally changed my life. I sleep better, I'm going to bed earlier and I'm not staying up late watching TV and SNACKING (my biggest weakness). I agree with one of the posters above; set a fitness goal. I want to run the Gate River Run, which is a 15K run here in Jacksonville, FL. Pick something attainable and don't worry so much about the pounds. As you burn more calories than you eat, they will fall off. And, you're doing so much for your health! Congrats to you and good luck!!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:21 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times
Thanks for the replies everyone! 7 lbs in 3 weeks is very good. Thats about how much I lost when I was on the last diet. Well, I did good today... for lunch I had a veggie sub, low-fat chips, but I did have sweet tea, which is a no-no, but it was not too sweet.

For snack I had a York Peppermint Patty

For dinner I had one slice of veggie pizza (210 calories) taco rice (low fat, but it was high carb) and unsweet tea. I will do better on my choice of meals tomorrow. I think I had about 1250 cals today.

I am not much of a morning person. I get up at the last minute, rush into the shower and get ready for work, so I normally save my exercise for evening.

I do not eat or snack too late (never no later than 7-8 pm), but I have a tendancy of staying up until 1-2AM, then I get sleepy around 8-9PM and need an hour nap.

When I was down on weight, I had much more energy, much less tired and felt like I could do anything.

I am looking forward to that again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash330 View Post
Yay for you for deciding to make this life change! I am kind of in he same boat. I'm 5'6" and currently weigh 215 lbs. I have been working out for 3 weeks and have so far lost 7 lbs. The best part is is that my clothes are finally starting to feel a little roomy!! I know how it is trying to completely overhaul your life, but it will be worth it! I'll try to encourage you. I know you can do it! I have pretty much cut all the fast food out as well. Don't beat yourself up if you fall off. There's always tomorrow. Don't forget to indulge yourself as well once in a while or you will never make this a life change. Have a piece of chocolate once in a while, but remember everything is in moderation. I don't know what your schedule is like, but I have transformed myself into an early morning workout person. I get up at six and hit the gym or walk with the dog from 7 to 8. I'm at work by 9. It gets my workouts out of the way for the day and I feel fantastic! It has totally changed my life. I sleep better, I'm going to bed earlier and I'm not staying up late watching TV and SNACKING (my biggest weakness). I agree with one of the posters above; set a fitness goal. I want to run the Gate River Run, which is a 15K run here in Jacksonville, FL. Pick something attainable and don't worry so much about the pounds. As you burn more calories than you eat, they will fall off. And, you're doing so much for your health! Congrats to you and good luck!!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
I'm on a diet, too.

I start by drinking black coffee in the morning. No cream or sugar. I also drink plain tea of any flavor. My big meal of the day was two slices dry whole grain toast with soft boiled egg.

And then I had two chocolate Larabars (made with dates and almonds and cocoa, no sugar). I had lowfat plain yogurt. One banana. Miso soup (dried package, add boiling water), some raw almonds. Cranberry juice mixed with water. (Pure cranberry juice, so it's very sour, but you get used to it.)

I think I cheated today and had a few crackers with cheese.

Other than that, totally boring!

I'm hungry. Can't wait to wake up and have more black coffee and dried toast. Fabulous!

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 11-10-2008 at 10:02 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 09:56 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone! 7 lbs in 3 weeks is very good. Thats about how much I lost when I was on the last diet. Well, I did good today... for lunch I had a veggie sub, low-fat chips, but I did have sweet tea, which is a no-no, but it was not too sweet.

For snack I had a York Peppermint Patty

For dinner I had one slice of veggie pizza (210 calories) taco rice (low fat, but it was high carb) and unsweet tea. I will do better on my choice of meals tomorrow. I think I had about 1250 cals today.

I am not much of a morning person. I get up at the last minute, rush into the shower and get ready for work, so I normally save my exercise for evening.

I do not eat or snack too late (never no later than 7-8 pm), but I have a tendancy of staying up until 1-2AM, then I get sleepy around 8-9PM and need an hour nap.

When I was down on weight, I had much more energy, much less tired and felt like I could do anything.

I am looking forward to that again!
Tennessee,

I think it would help to stop any candy of any kind. Also forget the pizza and rice, the potato chips, and sweet tea.

Instead, bake some fish or chicken breast and eat it with baked butternut squash and maybe steamed brocolli. Salt and pepper only. No butter or oils.

If you are still hungry, have a little salad. It's not hard once you change your habits.

Honestly, I do not miss the butter or sugar or even cream in my coffee.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:05 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
I think you should count your calories for sure. Not a "i think".

I dont know how much of everything you had but it does add up to a higher # just on the basic assumption calories. Look it up to make sure. Calorie count.com has a great data base for food.

You should be having 1500-1800 calories at your current weight to lose just being lightly active (basically not very active at all). The body loses fat faster and better when you dont overcut your calories. You did that big gain back because of overcutting calories probably before and it slows your metab. Do not repeat that mistake.

Have your carbs in the AM if you like them. Lunch and there after the sides should be fruit or veggies only. I am a lover of sweets and carby salts so I try to only have them every three days or every other day. I cant give them up! SouthBeach has some good stuff. Lots of salt so load up on water but thier pizzas are really good and you KNOW the cal count for sure because its on the box. From a shop its really all over the place cal wise depending on the cook/store

Old 08-13-2016, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,141 times
I am 52yo, male, truck driver. I weigh 265 and i am 6' even. My father died from heart complications and lung cancer. My mother died from cancer. She also had diabetes. I need to change my situation. I moved from a conventional truck to moving cargo in a cargo van just so I can be more active. I eat vegetables, drink plenty of water and recently starting drinking hot ginger tea instead of coffee.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. My goal is to lose 85lbs. Is this realistic?

Old 08-13-2016, 11:07 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
YES, my haircutter who is mid 40's was close to diabetes and when she started her journey weighed 262, she so far has taken off 85 lbs in about 8 months or so. She has eliminated all WHITE foods and sticking with:

Protein/Veggies/Water

And moving more, going to gym and walking.

She is one happy person. And LOOKS and FEELS great.

Uses Primier Protein drink for meal substitutes. I bought some and like this drink. 30grams protein per container.

Do it, don't just try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss