Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:04 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,099,537 times

Advertisements

And now, a little on SOY SAUCE!

Soy (and teriyaki) sauce is one of the highest sodium condiments, usually around 900mg in a tablespoon, and is good to avoid. However, it is packed with flavor and very important to many Asian dishes.

There are some lower sodium brands availible, usually with 20-50% less than regular. You can also reduce the sodium of soy sauce you put on your food by diluting it with water. With teriyaki, you may want to add a little sugar to keep up the sweetness.

Another trick is to find ways to use less at the table! The little restaurant-style bottle with the 2 hole spouts give you much more control over how much comes out than most store bottles, very handy to have. Even better are squeeze-ball medicine droppers, you can get some free at any phamrmacy. This may seem extreme to some, but is great measuring as well as distributing the sauce.

You can google a number of recipes for no salt "soy replacement" sauces, main ingredients are usually rice or cider vinegar and mollasses. I don't think they taste anything like soy, but they do have a somewhat "Asian" flavor and are usually pretty good as a dip or marinade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 07:44 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,567,699 times
I think you need to watch the doctors to. Not ONCE before I was put on blood pressure medicine did a doctor talk with me about dietary sodium. Not ONCE. They just slapped me on them and I went along because I was scared.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I think you need to watch the doctors to. Not ONCE before I was put on blood pressure medicine did a doctor talk with me about dietary sodium. Not ONCE. They just slapped me on them and I went along because I was scared.
Good point! Many in the medical fields to not speak with patients much about nutrition in general, but esp about low sodium eating. Even most doctors or nutritionists that do, do not "practice what they preach".

For instance, I was getting a "cardo diet" in the hospital that included processed lunch meats & cheeses, lots of bread, and other higher sodium foods. Now, my total daily sodium may have been under 2000mg (I don't know, the nutritional info wasn't shown to me), but if the menu planner was more informed about food choices, I could have had more and tastier foods. It was a miserable stay.

It's kind of sad, but even the well informed have no idea what it's like to try to stay under 2000mg every day unless they have tried it themselves.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
It's kind of sad, but even the well informed have no idea what it's like to try to stay under 2000mg every day unless they have tried it themselves.
It is very hard. I am struggling with keeping it under 2400 on a 1500 calorie diet. The recommendation for BP control, if you are highly sensitive, is to keep on the low end of around 1500mg of sodium a day vs the high end of 2400 recommended for the average person. I just don't know how to get there - - it is terribly hard to eat zero processed foods.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:47 AM

Hang in there! I am very lucky that calorie and sugar content are not a huge issue for me, and I still often have a rough time.

I think one of the worst things is the lack of snacks and ready-to-eat things. Having to prepare foods yourself from fresh ingredients is very time consuming, you can't just open the pantry and whip something up from a box or can, or go for take-out. Fresh fruit is one of the best tasting things in the world, but only when you want it. If that's all you eat, it can get old quick.

Making extra food when you do cook to freeze or for leftovers can be a big help.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 PM

There are some "salt substitutes" that can be useful at the table or in cooking. Postassium chloride, sold under several names including NU-SALT, has no sodium and tastes vaugely like a salt, some people like it a lot. It has a stronger taste than salt, you should use very little until you find a balance to your tastes. I sometimes use it with popcorn, eggs or soups, but it does have a strange taste that takes getting used to.

There are also several brands of "lite salt", prety much half regular salt and half posassium chloride, or other fillers. I don't find this useful myself, but it's out there. If you wanted, you could prob mix it yourself for less money.

In the spice aisle at the grocery, there are many spice/herb blends with no/low sodium, the best known is MRS DASH, which has many flavors and can be very useful. There are also many small/regional brands out there too, I am always keeping an eye out for new ones. Once you have tried enough to know your tastes, you might try mixing your own.

Be aware that MANY spices and spice blends have added salt included, including chilli powder, lemon pepper, most "grinder" jar kinds and more. Always check the label (ACL!)

You can get some salt free blends of standard seasonings from Texas's FIESTA SPICES and others. I like the salt-free chicken fajita seasoning.

Individual peppers, herbs and spices add a lot of flavor to certain dishes. Try a many as you can! If you are lucky enough to have a market with bulk, you can weigh out small amounts to try and pay way less than buying large jars. Most herbs/spices contain no sodium, but some, like celery, do. ACL!

Vinegars are also your friend! Some good to have on hand are basalmic, cider, rice, malt... there are so many flavors availible and most have no/little sodium (CTL!). Besides cooking uses, they can be great spritzed on many foods.

Lemon, lime and some other juices also add a burst of flavors without salt.

These are some of my most used substitutes, perhaps others have some to share?

Old 01-03-2010, 04:56 AM

You need to be aware that some BP meds [like angiotensin ii receptor blockers] may cause potassium retention ..... so adding potassium may be dangerous. I watch it very carefully but using no salt with a shaker is not likely to overdo the potassium, but blackstrap molasses is also very high in that. The caution is too much potassium can kill you from heart arrythmias in a hurry.

I take avapro which is an angiotensin ii receptore blocker + diuretic and the doctor ok's me for slight potassium supplementation using no salt based on blood test for postassium...........not low enough for a supplement.........but given the fact I was restricting calories.

Potassium supplements otc are worthless because they are required to be limited. I think 7 pills has the same potassium as 1/4 tsp of no salt.

Basically for me, getting USED TO not using salt has changed my taste buds for the better. I can't enjoy something salty and my tongue tingles from eating it. You replace your taste buds daily and ajust quickly to the change.

Chef Prudhomes MAGIC salt free seasoning is real good for fish and chicken!
I also have several varieties of Ms Dash and use more pepper these days

Old 01-03-2010, 01:41 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,292,076 times
You guys have to check out Spice Hunter blends if you like Mrs. Dash stuff. Some have sea salt in them though so do watch for that.

I looked up cheesecake on bing...no one can be eating that who is watching salt. 400 mgs for tiny slice.
Booo....

I really hate watching salt because it drives me crazy that its everywhere.
Can any of you use sea salt and not get problems?

And just a random question if you knew...Sometimes when I get low salt I just feel washed out without it. I have a pinch of sea salt and it perks me up. What is that? (pinch = 3 rocks or so rough grain)

Old 01-03-2010, 06:02 PM

Hi! I will look for Spice Hunter's (and Prudhomes), you can never have too many seasonings to choose from.

Regarding sea salt, there is no significant difference in sodium levels between it and regular table salt. Sea salt's other minerals do displace some sodium, but not enough to make any real difference ina low-sodium diet. Sea salt's (and flavored salts) benefits are in taste, if you are using salt, it may as well taste good! Also, larger grains of salt can impart more salty flavor, so you might use a little less in the long run, compared to table.

As far as salt itself "perking you up", I've never experienced that. I suspect it may be mostly in your head, as most Americans get plenty of salt without even trying. But as long as your sodium levels stay within what you (or your Dr) have set for yourself, go for it!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:46 PM

There is also an RDA for sodium. So you CAN go too low........but it is almost impossible to get there unless you are eating way too few calories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss