Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 06:29 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
apparently, the PROSPECT of prop b being passed has some of the millers running scared..... i got an email this morning about a HUGE mill operation run by an elderly couple and their daughter that is auctioning off 800 (yes, that is EIGHT HUNDRED) dogs..... under 3 or more different kennel names, but ALL under the control of these 3 people.

for a news story that ran on these people, go here......
FOX Files: Alleged Puppy Mill Has Store in St. Peters - KTVI (http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-fox-files-puppy-mill-mexico-071310,0,3789775.story - broken link)

and followups to the original story:

Overwhelming Viewer Response - Alleged Puppy Mill Store In St. Peters - KTVI (http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-puppy-mill-folo-071510,0,1316315.story - broken link)

FOLLOW UP: Alleged Puppy Mill Store Closed In St. Peters - KTVI (http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-puppy-mill-expo-closed-081010,0,5749993.story - broken link)

tried to include the list of dogs being sold by these people, but the table wouldn't copy over propery..... just glance through and marvel at the sheer numbers......

just got notice that the catalog for this sale is online now......

take a look at some of the rules posted by the auctioneer.... just gotta wonder, if this place is so well run and the dogs SO well cared for, what are they trying to hide??

[CENTER]IMPORTANT NOTICE![/CENTER]

Due to the high profile of this sale, all attendees will be required to provide legal identification and sign an agreement to the no photography policy. This is no different than statements made on sale day and printed on each flyer, except if photos are taken the source will be obtainable and prosecuted for trespass with malicious intent and will agree to payment to the seller of up to $250,000.00 and or one year in prison. Any persons refusing to comply with this agreement will be denied access to the property. Security will be posted at the drive! Sorry for the inconvenience, but this is also for the protection of serious buyers and legitimate rescues that have no ulterior motives!

DAMAGED ARTICLES OR PROPERTY! PRIVATE PROPERTY!! ABSOLUTELY NO VIDEO CAMERAS, CAMERAS, CELL PHONE RECORDING OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF PHOTOGRAPHIC DEVICES ALLOWED WITHOUT THE PROPERTY OWNER’S WRITTEN CONSENT! VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED FOR TRESPASSING AND DAMAGES FOR SLANDEROUS INTENT! ALL DOGS ARE GUARANTEED AGAINST BRUCELLOSIS FOR 40 DAYS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE BEEN TESTED BY A LICENSED VETERINARIAN WITHIN 7 DAYS OF THE SALE! POSITIVE RESULTS ARE ONLY VALID FROM A STATE CULTURE TEST. ALL GUARANTEES ARE BETWEEN BUYER AND SELLER! ALL AKC REGISTERED DOGS WILL BE MICRO CHIPPED. STATEMENTS MADE DAY OF SALE TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER ALL PRINTED MATERIAL. FOR MORE INFORMATION, VISIT OUR WEBSITE: Home

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 12:25 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
don't they become violent towards one another in such conditions??

pardon my ignorance of poultry farming practices.......
They trim the beaks so they can't really hurt each other. Of course, they still do...and many pluck out their own feathers in frustration with their living conditions.

My chickens were partially free range, but my show chickens were kept in trios. My D'uccles and cochins (when I had them) were kept in the lap of luxury, since they have feathered feet...so they lived in 4" of soft sawdust Such spoiled chickens.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
just got notice that the catalog for this sale is online now......

take a look at some of the rules posted by the auctioneer.... just gotta wonder, if this place is so well run and the dogs SO well cared for, what are they trying to hide??

[CENTER]IMPORTANT NOTICE![/CENTER]

Due to the high profile of this sale, all attendees will be required to provide legal identification and sign an agreement to the no photography policy. This is no different than statements made on sale day and printed on each flyer, except if photos are taken the source will be obtainable and prosecuted for trespass with malicious intent and will agree to payment to the seller of up to $250,000.00 and or one year in prison. Any persons refusing to comply with this agreement will be denied access to the property. Security will be posted at the drive! Sorry for the inconvenience, but this is also for the protection of serious buyers and legitimate rescues that have no ulterior motives!

DAMAGED ARTICLES OR PROPERTY! PRIVATE PROPERTY!! ABSOLUTELY NO VIDEO CAMERAS, CAMERAS, CELL PHONE RECORDING OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF PHOTOGRAPHIC DEVICES ALLOWED WITHOUT THE PROPERTY OWNER’S WRITTEN CONSENT! VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED FOR TRESPASSING AND DAMAGES FOR SLANDEROUS INTENT! ALL DOGS ARE GUARANTEED AGAINST BRUCELLOSIS FOR 40 DAYS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE BEEN TESTED BY A LICENSED VETERINARIAN WITHIN 7 DAYS OF THE SALE! POSITIVE RESULTS ARE ONLY VALID FROM A STATE CULTURE TEST. ALL GUARANTEES ARE BETWEEN BUYER AND SELLER! ALL AKC REGISTERED DOGS WILL BE MICRO CHIPPED. STATEMENTS MADE DAY OF SALE TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER ALL PRINTED MATERIAL. FOR MORE INFORMATION, VISIT OUR WEBSITE: Home

Dunno, hiding or a bad previous experience where someone attempted to defame character. Either way, Proposition B does not apply to auctioneering of animals off the physical site of the breeder when it comes to kenneling and conditions does it?

What it does do is shut down the ability to hold an auction of any more than 50 "covered" dogs under the "possession" clause. That would seem to be an infringement on private business even when the conditions are very nice.

If this is putting some of the mills out of business that have bad conditions or are unlicense that is good news. However, this particular group must be licensed since they have had so much publicity? I still believe enforcement is key. Perhaps a head's up to the state veteranarian's office or USDA about this specific auction might address that the facilities and dogs are in good condition prior to auction? (Hint, Hint, Hint)

Extend that number restriction inserted by the HSUS of Prop. B to other animals and even small-medium family farmers cannot have livestock auctions on their property. That would shut down most livestock auction houses as well. Yes indeed, the possibility for unintended consequences and a slippery slope has some pretty ominous ramifications for farmers/ranchers/livestock auctioneers.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 10-22-2010 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 AM

604 posts, read 750,984 times
Missouri Farmer Today (http://www.missourifarmertoday.com/articles/2010/10/14/news/02ballot.txt - broken link)

Old 10-26-2010, 11:48 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Missouri Farmer Today (http://www.missourifarmertoday.com/articles/2010/10/14/news/02ballot.txt - broken link)
It is too bad there is no advertising air time on this. From the above link.

The HSUS has an agenda. It is not the welfare of all animals, although they have used that mantra as a venue to push through their propositions and initiatives aimed at animal agriculture. Their main goal is to shut down the livestock industry — dogs included. They are succeeding.

No one wants to see any animal abused or neglected. The HSUS is counting on that and using emotion and the innocence of the general public to pass laws governing the care and welfare of animals they know nothing about other than the misinformation the HSUS feeds them.

Practices we use in everyday agriculture are industry standard and scientifically researched. They are often misunderstood.

All it takes is for an animal-rights group to say “that practice is cruel” and for them to find an unacceptable situation for the general public to assume it is industrywide.

The general public falls for emotional issues and rather than studying the legislation and demanding better most just vote to pass the tear-jerking legislation without regard to the motivation of the promoters.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 AM

animal rights = PETA and that ilk

animal welfare = Humane Society

there IS a difference......

Old 10-27-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
animal rights = PETA and that ilk

animal welfare = Humane Society

there IS a difference......

Why don't they aim for making a new law for better ENFORCEMENT rather than more regulations?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Why don't they aim for making a new law for better ENFORCEMENT rather than more regulations?

have you bothered to take the time to review the Revised Statutes of the State of Missouri?? i gave you a link for them a couple of weeks ago.... it is below, as well.....

didn't think so ..... because if you had, you would realize that at present, there is no state statute providing criminal penalty for breeder abuse......

Quote:
i reviewed the applicable Revised Statutes of Missouri (RSMo 273.325 - .340) and spent half an hour of my life (that i will NEVER have back again) writing a post discussing each.... then my IE crashed .....

soooooo.... i will distill what i found:

The State of Missouri requires that commercial breeders, kennels, dealers, etc. be licensed and that that license be renewed annually. Facilities must be inspected prior to licensure and then annually thereafter, or upon complaint.

RSMo273.325 DOES require that adequate food, water and housing be provided.

the ONLY penalties for violating standards of care are ADMINISTRATIVE.... revocation or non-renewal of license and/or financial penalties not to exceed $1,000 (i THINK that is the correct amount.... i have already spent too much time on this today) .......

Dealers are required under state law to ONLY purchase animals from licensed breeders..... if a dealer is found to have KNOWINGLY bought animals from an unlicensed breeder, that dealer is subject to a misdemeanor charge or charges......

so, right now, the only people faciing possible criminal charges are dealers... those that commit the cruelty are subject only to administrative penalties.......

if i have missed anything, please feel free to add what i missed.....

no doubt about it mogal...... enforcement is already pretty much non-existent....and given the state of the state budget, will likely remain so for some time to come..... but having an additional weapon in the arsenal is a GOOD thing, as far as i am concerned.........

btw .... where does that $800K figure come from??
Quote:
PLEASE.... by all means.... show me where there is a criminal charge and/or penalty for breeder abuse.....

here is a link to the applicable chapter of the Revised Statutes of the State of Missouri to make your search a little easier......

RSMO-Chapter 273

I have read these statutes and i don't see anything...... have you??

as far as the rest of what you claim.... where is your proof of that?? all i am hearing is a regurgitation of distortions, quotes-out-of-context and imagination run wild.....

HSUS is an organization that promotes animal welfare.... not animal RIGHTS as you and so many of your compadres claim..... there is a BIG difference.... PETA promotes animal rights.... and many of those people are just plain crazy..... SOMEone has to step up to the plate and push for legislation that protects the health and wellbeing of the creatures that MAN domesticated and made dependent......

HSUS is NOT affiliated with local or even statewide Humane organizations and does not claim to be..... i'll be the first to admit i am not cool with everything that is done in the name of HSUS, but then, i can't think of any organization that does not have issues..... can you??

Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 AM

So you'll enjoy the benefits of knowing some puppys and their parents are sleeping comfortably at night, while farmers are out of work because raising 10 cattle on 100 acres of land is considered ideal?

I think if everyone that farmed in the USA stopped making food for one year, they'd get a little more respect...

Old 10-28-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
So you'll enjoy the benefits of knowing some puppys and their parents are sleeping comfortably at night, while farmers are out of work because raising 10 cattle on 100 acres of land is considered ideal?

I think if everyone that farmed in the USA stopped making food for one year, they'd get a little more respect...
that's a mighty big (and unsubstantiated) leap you are making.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs