Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:33 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Crated while not supervised, that dog needs way more exercise than you are providing - so lots of walks, enroll in an obedience class - the dog needs direction and you need some training.

ALL puppies are little wild woman and men, they need good training to direct their ADD and they need lots of exercise not just a romp in the back yard.

^^^^ Yes!!

Bailey was never much of a chewer, thank goodness, although she DID chew up the front of a sofa one night when she was about 6-8 months old....

Dave, however..... he was 10 months old when he joined our family from the shelter..... became obsessed with the bed in the front guest bedroom and would paw all of the covers off of it.... came home one day and discovered that he had pulled the full size mattress halfway off of the box springs and chewed up the corner pretty good doing it..... he also ADORED my reading glasses.... thank goodness i get those at the dollar store.... i have found where he gnawed some on the corner of one of the drawers to my dresser....

long walks (2-1/2 to 3 miles or better) every morning and leaving puzzle toys to keep them occupied when i am gone have helped IMMENSELY.... as has his growing up and maturing (he will be 2 in a couple of weeks) ....... i don't think he has chewed anything but his bones in several months now.......

in spite of tabula's doggie's issues, as a rule, a tired dog IS a good dog.... and is less likely to get bored and search out ways to amuse himself.....

a good long walk every day provides the physical AND mental exercise that every dog needs to stay healthy and sane.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
I'm a bit confused by the OP because the video clearly shows a crate in the room. The video would also suggests to me that the dog is being encouraged to go wild and bounce off the furniture and walls by the way it is being played with indoors. In otherwords, the human is training the dog to go nutz in the house, IMO, from the video.

I think the dog needs to be reconditioned that heavy running and ruff-play (pun) is reserved for outside and that inside is the human space for best behavior and obedience.

The low outdoor "snow fence" that the dog is shown jumping over in the video does not protect the dog nor give the dog boundaries. If funds allow a more appropriate fence should be strongly considered.

The chewing of "everything" may be anxiety related. There are many good websites with information about dealing with dog anxiety behavior problems. The dog is still a pup and strong supervision along with daily training periods may help get the behavior under control. You have a crate, use it for the dogs own protection!

Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I'm a bit confused by the OP because the video clearly shows a crate in the room. The video would also suggests to me that the dog is being encouraged to go wild and bounce off the furniture and walls by the way it is being played with indoors. In otherwords, the human is training the dog to go nutz in the house, IMO, from the video.

I think the dog needs to be reconditioned that heavy running and ruff-play (pun) is reserved for outside and that inside is the human space for best behavior and obedience.

The low outdoor "snow fence" that the dog is shown jumping over in the video does not protect the dog nor give the dog boundaries. If funds allow a more appropriate fence should be strongly considered.

The chewing of "everything" may be anxiety related. There are many good websites with information about dealing with dog anxiety behavior problems. The dog is still a pup and strong supervision along with daily training periods may help get the behavior under control. You have a crate, use it for the dogs own protection!
I should shed some more light on this, I like the idea of giving him more exercise with a longer walk so I'll try that out for a while. Thanks everyone for the advice, we have lots of things to try now.

Alex has a crate and we use it at night when he sleeps and whenever we can't supervise him. He does have a lot of anxiety issues, and gets very nervous when he is away from us). The video is a compilation of some scenes of us playing with him-- maybe we should only play outside, I like that idea, so I'll try that out. The green fence shown in the video is actually no longer in the yard, we set it up when he was a lot smaller and used to put it around the edge of our actual fence-- the white one, because there was a small gap in the white fence he could slip through. The green fence is only next to the porch in this instance because we were trying to put some grass seeds on the bare spots of the lawn that day and I wanted him to not eat the seeds (but as you can see from the video, he ended up being able to jump the fence)

Lots of good advice and things to try:
- More walks
- More crate if unsupervised
- Try to get him to learn that inside is for being good and outside is for running around

Thanks everyone!

Old 10-22-2010, 10:29 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I have a sweet little King Charles Cavalier. He is 1 year old...

But he has a problem! He loves to chew on everything!
He's bored or teething. Get him a Kong ball; you know, the kind that you can stuff full with little tidbits. He'll be so distracted by trying to get those tidbits out of that ball for hours that I'm betting he'll leave other things alone.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:58 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
If you are not home I would crate him. I would provide him with all kinds of toys and chews that are appropriate to chew on. They also make a bitter spray that you can spray on whatever he is beginning to chew on that you do not want him to, and it tastes very bitter.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,763 times
I am having the same chewing problem with my 8 month old boston terrier .. it started when my roommate moved out and took her dog with her.. do you think if i get another dog it will make him stop..help before I have no house left

Old 04-15-2011, 10:21 AM

718 posts, read 2,078,748 times
What you allow a puppy to do will happen as an older dog. I am constantly amazed at those who think they have to put up with a dog chewing holes in their homes or possessions. Just like a human infant can't be left alone for long periods of time, neither can a puppy. A crate becomes their source of security if used properly and a source of respite for the owner.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:55 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,354 times
Sounds like he needs a toy box full of toys and one of those hard filled milkbone colored bones sold in Petsmart. My dog was a chewer also and I got her those hard bones and she chews on it off and on all day!

I just watched the whole video. You need to take him to your local shelter and let him pick out his own play buddy! Problem solved! ;0)
If one can afford two dogs I am a huge fan of it!

Old 04-16-2011, 09:23 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times
As has been said on here 100 times, an under-exercised pup is a major destructive force. First, make sure you are exercising your pup enough. Yes I mean walks and play time. Like a human 2 year old, puppies have a lot of energy to burn. Second, crating is an excellent idea but it must be introduced as a positive and not as a punishment. Finally provide appropriate chew sources that are more appealing than your walls. Kongs filled with kibble and peanut butter, then frozen are an excellent way to redirect the energy. However, as I said first, exercise, exercise, exercise. A tired pup is a happy non-destructive pup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs