Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,756 times

Advertisements

Im getting a shih tzu puppy in about two weeks and i want to make sure the puppy has all the shots that i need it to have for a 6 week old puppy so that i know it will be safe to start and walk her outside for potty training and maybe exercise when the time is rite. I would also like to know what spacific food i should feed her at that age. Can anyone offer advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM

159 posts, read 558,821 times
Why haven't you asked the person you''re getting the puppy from these questions?

THE PUPPY IS TOO YOUNG!!!!!

If a breeder or store is going to give you the puppy at 6 weeks of age, it means they don't care about the puppy at all -- they just want to get rid of it & maybe get some $$$ from you for it. Ideally, the puppies should stay with the mom until they're about 3 months (12 week!) old, because they learn critical things from the mother & siblings during this time. In the long run, the dog will be much better developed if it stays with the mom & puppy brothers & sisters longer.

As for potty training, it helps to start early, but understand that just like with us humans, it takes time before the puppy will have physical control over when (& thus where) it goes to the bathroom. Do you have the patience to deal with the puppy going to the bathroom inside the house until it is 5 or 6 months old??

I'm glad you're asking questions, but two weeks is a pretty short-time to do the proper research & be ready to bring a dog home.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:32 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,481,204 times
Agree that 6 weeks is way too young. Poor puppy...and shame on the "seller" who thinks it's ok to separate him/her from the mother so early. ):

However, I'm glad that you are taking the time to ask your questions. The best person to answer them---and to confirm when it's ok to take a puppy from it's mother is your VET. If you don't have one yet, find one and ask him/her.

One of the first things you should do is to get an ID tag for your new dog and to have her microchipped. When she's old enough, please get her spayed.

Last edited by atina33; 11-04-2010 at 08:49 PM..

Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
selling a 6 week old puppy is actually illegal in most states...

Old 11-04-2010, 10:10 PM

18,729 posts, read 33,402,036 times
I think bad breeders (or backyard mutt puppy people) "get rid" of the puppy the day it weans. I think that's what happened with my two puppies. They were weaned that day (and were living in a barn in the winter- had never been handled or in the house).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs