Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,052,827 times

Advertisements

Alright, so those of you who know me -- and Artie -- you know that I've tried EVERYTHING to get the beast to stop pulling at the leash. He's better with my husband, but he's even started pulling when my 6-foot, 200-pound friend is holding the leash in the mornings when we walk our dogs together.

I've tried choke collars (UGH!), regular collars (puleez!), Martingale collars (a bit better than a regular collar, but nothing to write home about -- and this is what we're currently using), multiple harnesses with the clip in the back (OMG, no!), the Easy Walk and Sense-ation harnesses with the clip in the front (worked, but not anymore), and some other harness that clips in the front (it rubbed the fur off his armpits and irritated his skin).

The Sense-ation harness worked the longest but, as with every new contraption, it works well in the beginning because it's NEW! and DIFFERENT!, but then Artie gets acclimated to it, and the discomfort of pulling is no longer discomfort for him. So, I'm back to being dragged.

So, I'm thisclose to buying and trying a prong collar. The only reason that it's taken me so long to get to this point and why I'm hesitating making the purchase is that it looks so FIERCE! It really looks painful and inhumane. I've read the reviews -- the prongs are not pointy; they don't pierce the skin; it looks inhumane but it's not; blah blah blah -- but I can't get over the sight of it.

Your thoughts and experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,246,162 times
Have you tried a Gentle Leader? Gentle Leader Head Collar - Review of the Gentle Leader Head Collar for Dogs They absolutely work and cause no pain to the dog. The work on the "control the head, control the beast" principal.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:06 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,362,970 times
It did not work on Rip.

Maybe it slowed him a little until he got a sent. Then he was gone.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Have you tried a Gentle Leader? Gentle Leader Head Collar - Review of the Gentle Leader Head Collar for Dogs They absolutely work and cause no pain to the dog. The work on the "control the head, control the beast" principal.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I said "Easy Walk" harness, but I meant the Gentle Leader. It worked... then Artie got used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It did not work on Rip.

Maybe it slowed him a little until he got a sent. Then he was gone.
The prong collar didn't work on Rip??

Old 03-09-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I said "Easy Walk" harness, but I meant the Gentle Leader. It worked... then Artie got used to it.

The prong collar didn't work on Rip??
No.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:13 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,411,185 times
I think I've used about every collar on the market over the years for different problems. We use a martingale on Sammie since she has a nasty habit of trying to back out of her collar when she gets scared. Prong collars are not painful. Seriously, put it on yourself and gently pull you will see its a pressure collar not a pain collar. Best advice I can give for a puller is either to teach them to run along with you while you jog or bike to wear them out faster. Once they get the "tickle" out of their feet you should find them much more manageable. If biking or jogging is not possible and you have a yard, try playing in the yard for about 1/2 hour right before taking them for a walk. That has worked in the past too. As for a hound........anyone that has a clothes pin large enough for me to use on Sammie's nose - please let me know! Some days she is wonderful on leash and others when she finds a scent to follow - she is a terror! Go ahead and try the prong collar Dawn. Its not cruel.

Last edited by Va-Cat; 03-09-2011 at 10:08 AM..

Old 03-09-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I think I've used about every collar on the market over the years for different problems. We use a martingale on Sammie since she has a nasty habit of trying to back out of her collar when she gets scared. Prong collars are not painful. Seriously, put it on yourself and gently pull you will see its a pressure collars not a pain collar. Best advice I can give for a puller is either to teach them to run along with you while you jog or bike to wear them out faster. Once they get the "tickle" out of their feet you should find them much more manageable. If biking or jogging is not possible and you have a yard, try playing in the yard for about 1/2 hour right before taking them for a walk. That has worked in the past too. As for a hound........anyone that has a clothes pin large enough for me to use on Sammie's nose - please let me know! Some days she is wonderful on leash and others when she finds a scent to follow - she is a terror! Go ahead and try the prong collar Dawn. Its not cruel.
Yes, what is helping with Rip is we run he beside a pick up truck 5 miles now before we try anything.

It slows him down a little.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I think I've used about every collar on the market over the years for different problems. We use a martingale on Sammie since she has a nasty habit of trying to back out of her collar when she gets scared. Prong collars are not painful. Seriously, put it on yourself and gently pull you will see its a pressure collars not a pain collar. Best advice I can give for a puller is either to teach them to run along with you while you jog or bike to wear them out faster. Once they get the "tickle" out of their feet you should find them much more manageable. If biking or jogging is not possible and you have a yard, try playing in the yard for about 1/2 hour right before taking them for a walk. That has worked in the past too. As for a hound........anyone that has a clothes pin large enough for me to use on Sammie's nose - please let me know! Some days she is wonderful on leash and others when she finds a scent to follow - she is a terror! Go ahead and try the prong collar Dawn. Its not cruel.
The thing is that he won't poop in the backyard so at 6am, when we wake up, we go for a walk. Also, I don't want to play outside in the snow at 6am.

Interesting theory, though, about the exercise -- Artie is a pulling fiend at the start of the hour-long walk but, towards the end, he's much calmer.

I'm getting closer to buying the collar. Sigh...

Quote:
Yes, what is helping with Rip is we run he beside a pick up truck 5 miles now before we try anything.

WOW!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,176,402 times
Yes, a prong collar when used properly is a very effective tool that is safe for your dog.

They do not puncture the skin or poke the dog.
they grab a fold of skin and pinch it.
There called pinch collars.

You don't tug or let your dog pull agents them.
you use a quick snap tug of your lead and release.

a choker collar is not for training but is a much better choice that a regular old collar.
You see when you or your dog is pulling on a regular collar (one that has a fixed size, the kind with a buckle to adjust it's size) is it's throat can get damaged. a choker does not choke the dog it grabs the dogs mussels. The dogs mussels protect it's throat. This is a survival mechanism.

Those regular collars that 99% of you use are dangerous to your dogs health.
Have you ever hear your dog cough or make a choking sound when they are pulling?

It's a misconception that these collars are dangerous when it's the very collar that most of you use that is dangerous to your dog.

So, use a pinch collar when your training your dog and a "choker" when you walk your dog.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,176,402 times
I had a high drive that just loved to run down a old logging road in front of the truck too.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs