Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Yes, a prong collar when used properly is a very effective tool that is safe for your dog.

They do not puncture the skin or poke the dog.
they grab a fold of skin and pinch it.
There called pinch collars.

You don't tug or let your dog pull agents them.
you use a quick snap tug of your lead and release.

a choker collar is not for training but is a much better choice that a regular old collar.
You see when you or your dog is pulling on a regular collar (one that has a fixed size, the kind with a buckle to adjust it's size) is it's throat can get damaged. a choker does not choke the dog it grabs the dogs mussels. The dogs mussels protect it's throat. This is a survival mechanism.

Those regular collars that 99% of you use are dangerous to your dogs health.
Have you ever hear your dog cough or make a choking sound when they are pulling?

It's a misconception that these collars are dangerous when it's the very collar that most of you use that is dangerous to your dog.

So, use a pinch collar when your training your dog and a "choker" when you walk your dog.
I don't use a regular collar anymore. I use a Martingale which acts like a choke collar. It doesn't work for him. I never pull him -- he pulls me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:10 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I don't use a regular collar anymore. I use a Martingale which acts like a choke collar. It doesn't work for him. I never pull him -- he pulls me.
So....all you need are roller skates and you and Artie can have some REAL fun!

and I agree.....Martingales are the best invention since sliced bread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:10 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,177,232 times
If your dog is pulling use a properly fitted pinch/ prong collar and use it properly.

Give the lead it a quick but firm snap.
The first time your dog should give you some feed back as it will surprise them.

You and your dog will be much happier when you assert your dominance. The result is a dog that listens to there handler/owner.

I walk my dogs ,they don't walk me.

I bet I can get almost any dog to walk on a lead with out pulling in 20 minutes or less
as I have done this time and time again out on the training field with a clients dog.
You see your dog already knows that they don't have to listen to you and nothing is going to happen if they just do what they want to.
This is not true with me or a strange handler and the dog will be quickly broke of this behavior, why because the dog quickly learned the rules have changed and they are no longer in control.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
So....all you need are roller skates and you and Artie can have some REAL fun!

and I agree.....Martingales are the best invention since sliced bread
Roller skates, skateboard, ice skates... that's what all my neighbors say. And then they laugh at me.

I thought the Martingale was pretty awesome, too, until Artie figured it all out. Rotten monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
If your dog is pulling use a properly fitted pinch/ prong collar and use it properly.

Give the lead it a quick but firm snap.
The first time your dog should give you some feed back as it will surprise them.

You and your dog will be much happier when you assert your dominance. The result is a dog that listens to there handler/owner.

I walk my dogs ,they don't walk me.

I bet I can get almost any dog to walk on a lead with out pulling in 20 minutes or less
as I have done this time and time again out on the training field with a clients dog.
You see your dog already knows that they don't have to listen to you and nothing is going to happen if they just do what they want to.
This is not true with me or a strange handler and the dog will be quickly broke of this behavior, why because the dog quickly learned the rules have changed and they are no longer in control.
Oh, I agree 100%. It's all my fault, I know it is.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Roller skates, skateboard, ice skates... that's what all my neighbors say. And then they laugh at me.
Sorry Dawn just had a visual pop in my head.....

Artie......pulling for all he is worth... focused and going forward as fast as he can....
Dawn......hanging on to the leash thats hooked to Artie for all she is worth with both hands and a look of shear terror on her face while yelling at the top of her lungs "OK....Whats your next brilliant idea - Va-Cat!"

Now that should be good for a few grins today

Old 03-09-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Sorry Dawn just had a visual pop in my head.....

Artie......pulling for all he is worth... focused and going forward as fast as he can....
Dawn......hanging on to the leash thats hooked to Artie for all she is worth with both hands and a look of shear terror on her face while yelling at the top of her lungs "OK....Whats your next brilliant idea - Va-Cat!"

Now that should be good for a few grins today
You videotaped me this morning???

Old 03-09-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
You videotaped me this morning???
LOL - not yet but if you put on the roller skates - I will definately be there to document the adventure!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
LOL - not yet but if you put on the roller skates - I will definately be there to document the adventure!
I'll let you know when that's happening. Don't hold your breath, though. I've already got a broken leg.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I'll let you know when that's happening. Don't hold your breath, though. I've already got a broken leg.
OMG - I can't believe I forgot How are ya healing?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,794,568 times
Quote:
Alright, so those of you who know me -- and Artie -- you know that I've tried EVERYTHING to get the beast to stop pulling at the leash. He's better with my husband, but he's even started pulling when my 6-foot, 200-pound friend is holding the leash in the mornings when we walk our dogs together.

I've tried choke collars (UGH!), regular collars (puleez!), Martingale collars (a bit better than a regular collar, but nothing to write home about -- and this is what we're currently using), multiple harnesses with the clip in the back (OMG, no!), the Easy Walk and Sense-ation harnesses with the clip in the front (worked, but not anymore), and some other harness that clips in the front (it rubbed the fur off his armpits and irritated his skin).

The Sense-ation harness worked the longest but, as with every new contraption, it works well in the beginning because it's NEW! and DIFFERENT!, but then Artie gets acclimated to it, and the discomfort of pulling is no longer discomfort for him. So, I'm back to being dragged.

So, I'm thisclose to buying and trying a prong collar. The only reason that it's taken me so long to get to this point and why I'm hesitating making the purchase is that it looks so FIERCE! It really looks painful and inhumane. I've read the reviews -- the prongs are not pointy; they don't pierce the skin; it looks inhumane but it's not; blah blah blah -- but I can't get over the sight of it.

Your thoughts and experiences?
Not exactly a perfect analog for what the dog feels and you will look like a fool, but size it properly to your neck and try it at full power or have a friend try it on you.

I actually think that a prong collar is pretty reasonable as these devices go. Much better than a slip collar or a choke chain.

Seriously, try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs