Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:31 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
generally prongs are safer than chokes but i dont like either..just a personal choice, id much rather use a martingale or "limited choke", and id even much prefer a halti head collar or easy walk harness before that.

however, if pulling is a real issue and nothing else has worked i would aboslutly 100% reccomend a prong collar rather than a choke...
however you must still train the dog with the prong, ive seen many strong willed dogs just pull on right through the pain, prong, like choke should be a quick short jerk to pinch and release rather than a pull pull pull motion.
iva also had good results with the "change direction" method...pulls one way turn around and walk the opposite, for a few steps, repeat as nessicary.
Prong it is. If he won't listen to me, hopefully he'll listen to those prongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Now I recognize it. I despise the song.
Aaaaaand, sadly, it's been stuck in my head for hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
I see you've been convinced, but I wanted to add, I know 4 dogs who have had prong collars, and none of the 4 has suffered any injuries.

The new collar will give Artie street cred
HAHAHA!! Street cred. I like that. So does Artie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
The only good thing about that song is that is wasn't by the Culture Club.
Truer words have never been spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 06:01 PM

18,404 posts, read 19,042,623 times
sorry I have not read this entire thread but have you tried walking with him while holding raw meat or some other "treat" he highly values to try to train him to walk by your side?

Old 03-09-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
sorry I have not read this entire thread but have you tried walking with him while holding raw meat or some other "treat" he highly values to try to train him to walk by your side?
I've brought his most favorite treats along with us on our walks -- on numerous occasions. When I say, "Artie? You want chicken?," he stops dead in his tracks, comes back to me, eats the chicken, walks away... and starts pulling. He has a VERY short attention span and I won't give him a (tiny) piece of chicken each house length.

It is a GREAT idea and I'm sure it works with MOST dogs. Artie, however, is not your typical mutt. He's a monster-mutt.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:17 PM

18,404 posts, read 19,042,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I've brought his most favorite treats along with us on our walks -- on numerous occasions. When I say, "Artie? You want chicken?," he stops dead in his tracks, comes back to me, eats the chicken, walks away... and starts pulling. He has a VERY short attention span and I won't give him a (tiny) piece of chicken each house length.

It is a GREAT idea and I'm sure it works with MOST dogs. Artie, however, is not your typical mutt. He's a monster-mutt.
ahh artie he sounds like he has places to go!

you may be right in that it won't work for him. I have never had to do this but I thought you were supposed to keep the treat in your hand the entire time you walk. so the dog knows it is there and is more focused on the treat and when he might get it rather than walking ahead and getting called later for it. only giving him bits of treat as he walks and stays near you.

have you tried a very short leash? sorry I am grabbing at straws as the prong collars sound terrible.

maybe artie needs a treadmill workout before he goes out on his walks.
good luck

Old 03-09-2011, 07:28 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Quote:

you may be right in that it won't work for him. I have never had to do this but I thought you were supposed to keep the treat in your hand the entire time you walk. so the dog knows it is there and is more focused on the treat and when he might get it rather than walking ahead and getting called later for it. only giving him bits of treat as he walks and stays near you.

have you tried a very short leash? sorry I am grabbing at straws as the prong collars sound terrible.

good luck
Seriously, I asked a few trainers about putting Rip on a treadmill.

They all said not to, it would shorten his stride.

I knew they did it with Pitt Bulls but, they do not have to move very far.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:

good luck
He's not food-driven, actually, so he needs to be beckoned to get it. Keeping it in my pocket or in my hand, even if he sees it, won't do a thing for him; he won't care. I've never met a dog who's LESS food-driven than my little man.

I tried the short leash, too. Honestly, even with him leashed up right next to my leg, he pulls like a maniac.

You're exactly right: the dude has places to go!

Thanks, though, for trying to help find an alternative. I'm not a fan of the prong collar, either.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:13 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,177,232 times
I don't like to use food to bribe my dog to get it to do what I want it to .
They should sit when told to, not if a treat is held in front of there nose.

What happens when you don't have a treat with you?
If your dog is expecting a treat it will be salivating and drooling.
No thanks.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I don't like to use food to bribe my dog to get it to do what I want it to .
They should sit when told to, not if a treat is held in front of there nose.

What happens when you don't have a treat with you?
If your dog is expecting a treat it will be salivating and drooling.
No thanks.
It's totally not an issue with Artie, anyway.

It's 10.18am here now. He hasn't even eaten his breakfast, which was "served" at 6.00am. He's not motivated by food at all.

The times that he took the treat when we were walking? I think it was more about me calling his name rather than the treat. I've called his name without having "want some chicken" after it, and he's reacted the same way.

The way to his heart (or brain, in this case) is not through his stomach, apparently.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,922,877 times
I was not a fan of the prong either. My male shepherd was awful when it came to walking. It was a nightmare, he was so strong and would pull that I felt I didn't have good enough control of him when we were out. My arm would be so sore after a walk that I didn't look forward to walking him which meant we didn't go for very many walks. So I decided to try the prong since nothing else worked.

Let me tell you......The very first time I put it on him I was able to walk him without any pulling! I was so thrilled that I ended up cutting the walk short and turning around and running back to the house to tell my husband that I had just walked Biker without any problems. I was so excited! What a difference. It was like power steering. He got a lot more walks and I enjoyed walking him.

Hope it works for Artie.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I was not a fan of the prong either. My male shepherd was awful when it came to walking. It was a nightmare, he was so strong and would pull that I felt I didn't have good enough control of him when we were out. My arm would be so sore after a walk that I didn't look forward to walking him which meant we didn't go for very many walks. So I decided to try the prong since nothing else worked.

Let me tell you......The very first time I put it on him I was able to walk him without any pulling! I was so thrilled that I ended up cutting the walk short and turning around and running back to the house to tell my husband that I had just walked Biker without any problems. I was so excited! What a difference. It was like power steering. He got a lot more walks and I enjoyed walking him.

Hope it works for Artie.
OMG, I hope I have such great luck! I just hope it doesn't freak him out. I'm going to test it on myself first to see what it's like -- I don't want to wonder if it's hurting him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs