Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I used to think that she wouldn't hurt a fly, but clearly I was mistaken, as evidenced by the dead fly here.
Attachment 83157
HAHAHAHA!! Meanwhile, in looking at that picture, I think that she's thinking how best to perform CPR on that fly in order to revive it.

Your pup looks incredibly sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times

Akitas are a nice deterrent big bear size...beautiful..

Also shar-pei, some can be very protective, my dog Sunny scared off two huge burglars in our gated community in florida...they took a look at him and left

Old 08-03-2011, 04:29 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,760 times
Default Forget the dog...beware of the OWNER!!!

I have an American Bulldog (70lbs) and a Dogue de Bordeaux mix (76lbs) anyone would be stupid to break into my house. It would just not be a wise decision.

However, I only want my dogs to alert me. They can bark and warn and that is just fine...but I will be more than happy to do the "dirty" work of protecting my life, family, property and dogs!

Recently, there was a news report that stated if the would be thieves got a pot roast out of the freezer, it would keep most dogs busy...and the thieves could be in and out in less than two minutes. Kind of scary, huh?

Just a heads up. We need to be prepared at all times for all situations.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:23 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I heard on TV that all you need is a vacuum cleaner if you want to break into a house..

My Wiemaraner sounds mean when she barks as does my other dog but I doubt either would really hurt anyone. That is why I have a 38

Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Question?? Are female dogs more protective than males???

I have not had a female dog in.... welll I don't think I ever had one. I have 4 males now and I am fostering a female and taking another on daily walks.

Those two are so protective of me, but I dunno why.

My males WILL LET anyone near me unless they make a threatening gesture, while the females WILL NOT let ANYONE. Are females more protective generally? I did not raise these so I dunno what their situations were. Could it be that they were just poorly socialized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I heard on TV that all you need is a vacuum cleaner if you want to break into a house..
lol, two of my dogs are scared of Vacuums, the two others love chasing vacuums

Old 08-03-2011, 08:50 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
i find my male more protective than my female, but my parents female chihuahua is more protective than any of the males in their pack so i think its an indivdual thing.

my dogs are a great deterant, despite their small size they are loud and sound agressive...the noise alone is enough to deter most people...(today the ups guy stood at the gate for 10 mins because my dogs were in the yard baring at him, my dogs are 5 and 10lbs respectivly i literally had to go out there and meet the guy at the gate becaus ehe wouldnt come in even after id put them inside (i was in the bathroom when the hullabaloo started lol)

that being said, anyone attempting to brea into your house that ISNT detered by the barking alone is NOT going to be stopped by a dog of any kind, the people that break into your home despite a barking dog are more liley to be carrying firearms and are not hesitant to use them...

your dog should be a sound and visual deterant, but in the end its not a security system and is not bullet proof...i rely on my dogs to let me know somethings not right...however they rely on me to make sure they are safe! i would never put any PET in the line of fire...infact id be hesitant to put a trained attac dog in the line of fire...its my responsiblilty as the one with opposable thumbs to use their early warning and distraction tactics to my best ability and properly handle the situation so we ALL stay safe!
they are, afterall...family too!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,960 times
Hands down get a German Shepherd Dog. I work with protection dogs and there isn't anything like a good german shepherd, I promise you. Mine is trained to guard, but he didn't have to be. The training just allows me to signal it regardless of the situation, and only if I want to. (this type of training isn't to be taken lightly)

But they don't need to be trained to alert you. He was doing that from a young age. And when he alerts it's doesn't sound cute. I'm 99% confident no one would break in with him on the other side of the door. I work late and my wife and 6 month old are home alone every night so, I bought him before she was born for peace of mind.

That being said, do I WANT him to actually protect in case of emergency? Of course I don't want him to put himself in danger...but WOULD he? Undoubtedly, anyone trying to get in would have to get through him, and there's nothing I can do about that.

But don't be worried about getting a guard type companion, he's as good as can be around the baby, she grabs his ears and face and he just steals a lick every now and then

And they do know when the situation is tense, he doesn't bark at the mailman haha.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:23 AM

581 posts, read 1,188,210 times
No one would mess with me with these big boys...

Or maybe not. This photo is after a good session of me play fighting with them a few years ago. However, a more accurate representation of their reactions to someone banging on my door would be, Chewy, my big black bear, getting his "mohawk" going, a ridge of hair on his neck/back that stands straight up, and barks and growls. Webs, my fawn pitty, doesn't really know what's going on and honestly, really doesn't care. But will do just whatever brother is doing. Thank God, I've never had to see what they would really do when someone comes in angry and with bad intentions.

But in any case, like someone said before, I just want them to alert me of a presence or something out of the ordinary and I'll take care of the rest. My Glock 26 and Rugger mini 14 will do most of the talking.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,960 times
^^^ like the dogs!

In this pic rambo is just catching a tennis ball, but you can imagine being on the front end of that with his teeth bared, eyes staring straight into yours, personally I'd be headed the other direction! lol
Attached Thumbnails
Large dogs for Home Protection-rambo-catches-tennis-ball.jpg  

Old 10-30-2011, 12:51 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,155 times
I wouldn't doubt a dog would be a deterrent for some neighborhood kids looking for mischief. But, unless your dog is trained at the level of a police or military dog your kidding yourself if you think your overweight bulldog is going to stop a professional criminal.

Also, It's a fine line between a dog that protects you and a overly protective dog that can be a liability. Harming people that aren't a threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs