Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:51 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,497,510 times

Advertisements

In the state where I live, a "Beware Of Dog" sign is admitting your dog is dangerous...whether it is or not. My insurance agent told me to take down the sign.

I bought a "Dog In Yard" sign from these people. I have had the sign for years and it hasn't faded at all. No rust either.
The Original Property Postings-Dog in Yard Signs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 11:21 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,836,888 times
Over the years our airedales have surely prevented a break-in or two. A number of years ago we had a rash of daytime burglaries in a suburban neighborhood area where we once lived (probably local youths based upon what was consistently stolen) but we didn't have a single problem though our neighbors around us did.

Our 38 pound runt of the litter airedale had a big dog's bark and big dog teeth. She was very territorial and would make a lot of noise when something was amiss. My husband used to tease her by ringing the doorbell when we came home. She would fly down the stairs into the entry and leap toward the glass in the door snarling and foaming.

She even scared me when I saw her do this but as soon as she saw that it was us, she got all wiggly and happy to see us. She probably wouldn't have hurt a fly in reality but what a show! I still miss that dog. Worth her weight in kibble.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:45 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,384,691 times
I like dogs. Recently I went over to a client's house, I knew he had an older black dog, who I am familiar with, so I went in the yard, to go to his door, and THREE "Hounds of the Baskervilles" came barreling out the front door barking. I let out a small scream, I was so scared. So, of course, the dogs start growling at me, an intruder in THEIR yard...they settled down when their Daddy told them to. Apparently, my client is running his own "doggy daycare" for his daughter's dogs. These dogs are big, black, and fearsome looking. If I was a robber, I would definitely pick some other house. My dog, Sam, while not a big, mean looking dog, unless you think Basset's are fearsome, was loud enough to stop anyone from coming in our house. And for some reason, he never really liked men, he would always be very watchful of any men in our home, once my visiting cousin, Stan, went to hug "Sam's Grandma", and he was on the receiving end of a very loud, bark, growl from Sam. No one hugged Sam's Grandma, until Sam decided he was okay. Some might think having a protective dog like that is a liability, but for some reason, Sam loved kids, and was a big lover to kids, never aggressive to kids. But, any strange man...better not make sudden moves, or Sam was ready to protect his family.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:21 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,574,770 times
To the OP, the best way that I have found in finding a house in a good neighborhood is to scope it out during the day and nite. Check out how the yards are kept and if teens walk up and down the street late at nite. Buying a home in a bad hood will not help you even if you have a big dog.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:18 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,370,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
In the state where I live, a "Beware Of Dog" sign is admitting your dog is dangerous...whether it is or not. My insurance agent told me to take down the sign.

I bought a "Dog In Yard" sign from these people. I have had the sign for years and it hasn't faded at all. No rust either.
The Original Property Postings-Dog in Yard Signs
Thanks for this link, I bookmarked it right away, I might move some day and need this type of sign vs the the "beware" one.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,176,402 times
So you believe all the answers you found on yahoo answers or ask.com

There not a very reliable source for any info.
just a lot of misinformed opinion.
Get a hold of a lawyer that has or does a lot of work defending folks with dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
. Googling "beware of dog sign liability" I'm seeing enough difference of opinion that I think it either varies from state to state, or is inconsistently regarded among judges and juries. I'm keeping my sign.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
I do not know what goes on in other states but here in Florida no dog deters criminals here. Where there is a will there is a way. In this state they go in with weapons and just shoot the dogs. For me a dog in no threat to ANY intruder, unless they are not armed and most intruders are.
Make sure you property is well lit up at night with spots and motion sensors. I am in the process of installing some sensors right now.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:42 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,176,402 times
If your intruder is using a gun he is an amateur as a real thief knows a gun will add a lot of years to his sentence and will not use one.
A thief is very UNLIKELY to be very proficient with a gun. The likely hood of a thief in a high stress situation hitting a moving dog in the dark is slim.
Yes, we hear of dogs being shot, most of the time they are already on the bite when this happens.

The house that is fortified is a jail cell for it's occupants. A well fortified home is like a 100wat bulb outside on a hot summers night to a professional thief.

People with nothing to loose have the least protection.

As to the statement
"in Florida no dog deters criminals here. "
really
Why do you think your criminals are so bad a$$? I have yet one laugh when a k9 is sent there way.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:34 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,005,130 times
I have not read the entire thread but to answer your question, yes. Having a big dog can be intimidating and often as valuable as an alarm system (which I would suggest you get as well). It doesn't have to be monitored (mine isn't anymore), just make a lot of noise. Also, I once had a neighbor who posted a Beware of Dogs sign on his gate. I took notice of that and would not have hit that house if I were a criminal. Then again, the neighbors across the street with two big dogs were recently robbed. I am still scratching my head over that one, as when I stepped foot in their backyard one time I was bitten.

All in all, I would really focus on finding the safest neighborhood you can afford, review the crime stats in all proposed areas, and go that route too.

Oops, just noticed someone posted in her state she was told to take down the Beware of Dog sign. In my state, it's fine to have one of those. If you can do it without it hitting your insurance premiums, I would do it.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:01 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,435,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
So you believe all the answers you found on yahoo answers or ask.com

There not a very reliable source for any info.
just a lot of misinformed opinion.
Get a hold of a lawyer that has or does a lot of work defending folks with dogs.

Well, dogbitelaw.com showed a statute that in Colorado a Beware of Dog sign absolves the owner of liability when someone comes in their yard. It said in New York a Beware of Dog sign was not enough to prove an owner knew his/her dog was viscious. Another legal website said in general a Beware of Dog sign protects the owner from liability. I will try to find out what it is in my state, but overall I'm truly not worried. I think if the other guy has a great lawyer and you've got a crummy one and it's a jury trial, maybe you'd be in trouble.
And to the OP, I'm sorry we hijacked your thread. I think any large dog is a decent deterrent, especially if it's black, but it wouldn't make me feel safe in a bad neighborhood, even so.

Last edited by subject2change; 03-13-2011 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs