Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:53 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times

Advertisements

its all in the word "Beware". its not 'well known' as in most cases nothing ever happens...
but in the occasional case where a dog bites and the person pressed charges, by having a sign stating "beware" you are aknowledging that your dog is "dangerous" and that makes you liable!

sad...but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 03:55 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
I would think it would make you NOT liable because you warned them there's a dog in your yard. Any dog could go after a stranger wandering onto their property. That's why I put one up, I thought I was being responsible.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:06 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,363,482 times
Default About the signs

It depends on what state and county you live in, here in RURAL GA, my beware of dog sign is OK, per our county and state laws. That's why I also suggested the "dogs loose in yard" sign for those that have states with those kinds of laws.

Where I live I was TOLD by the local sheriff to put up a sign as a deterent even if my dog was harmless, I also checked with our local DA and looked up county and state statutes....

Sooo check your local laws, the dogs loose in the yard sign is OK no matter where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I'm not a lawyer but I did plow my lawyers lot last night.

Whatever you do DO NOT put up a sign of any kind warring folks of your dog.
Why?
You are admitting that your dog is aggressive or is a liability.
Posting a sign will guarantee you will have to destroy your dog and pay any judgment if they should even just nip someone accidentally. No 2nd chances.

The prosecution will state you put up the signs because you knew your dog is aggressive. People with nice dogs don't post signs warring others about there dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i always tell people instead of a "beware of dog" sign, something as simple as "dog loose on premises" is much better choice, you are letting folks know a dog lives on the property (and its a reminder to people to double check they close gates), while not saying the dog is "agressive" Its the word "beware" thats dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Our sign says "I can make it to the gate in 3 seconds - can you?" Our attorney approved it since it notifies that there is a dog on the premises without suggesting aggression. I don't know if our dogs would bite someone that wasn't threatening DH or myself but I do know they would charge the gate if a stranger opened it. 3 large dogs racing across the yard would scare 'em pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
This stuff about beware of dog signs is new to me. I always thought they were a standard thing, not implying aggression, and I've seen people with Bichons that had them. Maybe it's a regional thing? The one about, "I can make it to the fence in 3 seconds" always struck me as more ominous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
its all in the word "Beware". its not 'well known' as in most cases nothing ever happens...
but in the occasional case where a dog bites and the person pressed charges, by having a sign stating "beware" you are aknowledging that your dog is "dangerous" and that makes you liable!

sad...but true.
Quote:
I would think it would make you NOT liable because you warned them there's a dog in your yard. Any dog could go after a stranger wandering onto their property. That's why I put one up, I thought I was being responsible.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:14 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,455 times
Quote:
I would have thought the very same thing. Here in Tulsa nearly every fence has a sign on it I even had one on mine.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:45 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,833 times
Quote:
Many states, such as California, New Jersey, and Ohio, have strict liability laws regarding dog bites. Basically, a strict liability law means that you, as the dog's owner, are liable for just about every injury your dog causes. It doesn't matter if you knew your dog was dangerous or had bitten someone in the past. It also doesn't matter if you did everything you could to restrain your dog or to protect the public from the dog, such as put up fencing and signs.
It's really important to know and understand your state's laws. If you live in a state with Strict Liability Laws regarding dog bites, you can be held liable for a dog bite even if you have your dog secured behind a fence with a warning sign.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:58 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,680 times
This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't count on a dog for complete home protection. A noisy bark may make would-be criminals skip your house. Security systems are pretty inexpensive, and you wouldn't have to worry about your alarm system "sleeping on the job." Actually, alarm monitoring would cost less per month than a dog!

My Ridgeback would bark and carry on and try to protect me if someone broke in, but the Greyhound probably wouldn't blink unless they happened to move her bed. Then she would get up and go to the couch. I feel safer with my dogs, but a dog is no match for a criminal with a gun.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 PM

121 posts, read 318,522 times
My home protection system is a mix between a Schutzhund trained GSD and two tri Corgis (in addition to an alarm system). The best part is that the tri Corgis look like shepherd pups from a distance, so no one comes near our yard uninvited. I never feel unsafe.

Plus, I agree that the "Dogs loose in the yard" type signs are good, but more so if you have a large, completely fenced in property. My parents have a 10-acre horse farm in Illinois, and they let their dogs run free on the property most of the day. A lot of people would probably just drive in otherwise, but with the signs the guests and visitors know to wait for the dogs to be put up. In a residential neighborhood like I live in, the barking is probably enough.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:00 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times
You can put up a sign that says all trespassers will be shot on sight. legally.

A cop or DA is not going to tell you not to put up your sign. You asked the wrong people as they don't defend they prosecute.

Ask a defense attorney that is versed on the subject.

People with "nice" dogs don't put up signs warring that fluffy is running around.

The warring sign is an admission that you have a proublem and folks have to be aware of it.
It will make the prosecutions case much easier and the award even larger.

It will be used against you in a court of law.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
Ask any meter reader, mailman, UPS guy, and they'll tell you nice family dogs can bite if a stranger comes into their yard. "He never did that before!" is usually the reaction of the owner. I still see it as a common courtesy to give someone a heads up that there's a dog there. Googling "beware of dog sign liability" I'm seeing enough difference of opinion that I think it either varies from state to state, or is inconsistently regarded among judges and juries. I'm keeping my sign.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:30 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
for me personally when i get my own place i will be using a combination of no tresspassing signs and "dogs loose on property" signs, wether or not its legal in my state of choice to have a "beware" sign ive read and actually helped people go through a large number of cases where there going through extra hassle and greif because they had a "beware of the dog sign" our neighbors laywer was the one who origioanlly told me about the issue...folks with "beware" signs are "admitting guilt" in many situations.

i dont agree in any way shape or form...
but it happens enough that i personally will never take that risk, especially given when i get my farm i eventually plan on having Cental asian sheperds or caucasian orvcharka as LGD's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs