Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,294 times

Advertisements

I was giving my dogs Milo's treats, the sausage, meatballs, and steak jerky and they kept getting sick within a 2 month span. They would have upset stomachs and at one point both started having spots of blood in their stool. Almost a $1000 in vet bills later I find out it was Milo's treats that were the problem. I stopped giving them these treats and now they are doing well. So disappointed with this product. Please keep your dogs away from these treats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
A log of complaints collected from pet owners and veterinarians contains references to at least three popular brands of jerky treats that may be associated with kidney failure and other serious ailments, according to internal Food and Drug Administration documents obtained by msnbc.com.
Of 22 “Priority 1” cases listed by the FDA late last year, 13 cited Waggin’ Train or Canyon Creek Ranch jerky treats or tenders, both produced by Nestle Purina PetCare Co., the records show.

Another three listed Milo’s Kitchen Home-style Dog Treats, produced by the Del Monte Corp. The rest listed single brands or no brand.

Vitals - 3 big brands may be tied to chicken jerky illness in dogs, FDA records show

Old 03-17-2012, 04:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,219 times
My dog loves the milo treats. I was actually coming online to check and see if there was a way to make them "low"fat. By reading the ingredients, saw that the Chicken Jerky was the "lowest" in fat, I was SHOCKED to read about the problems with these treats, esp, the Chicken Jerky. My dog has developed Pancreatitis, could this be associated?

Old 03-17-2012, 05:29 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,286,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsieone View Post
My dog loves the milo treats. I was actually coming online to check and see if there was a way to make them "low"fat. By reading the ingredients, saw that the Chicken Jerky was the "lowest" in fat, I was SHOCKED to read about the problems with these treats, esp, the Chicken Jerky. My dog has developed Pancreatitis, could this be associated?
Yes, it could.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,575 times
Watch this video. Dogs dying from chicken jerky made in China.

[url=http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2012/01/family-cautions-pet-owners-about-treats-after-dogs-death/]Family Cautions Pet Owners About Treats After Dog's Death | Life With Dogs[/url]

Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 AM

807 posts, read 2,516,010 times
The AKC brand treats are made in China!! WTH is up with that?? My wife and I were going to buy some of the treats for our Corgi until we saw where they were made. We're not taking any chances!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,129 times
I was shocked to hear this news! The chicken jerky is a favorite around my house and we have never had any problems. I don't know what to think. I hate to deprive them of their favorite treat but their health and saftey must come first!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:32 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelliesasha View Post
I was shocked to hear this news! The chicken jerky is a favorite around my house and we have never had any problems. I don't know what to think. I hate to deprive them of their favorite treat but their health and saftey must come first!
There are millions of bags of chicken jerky consumerd each year by pets in the world and only a very very very tiny number of incidents. I think the figures are for all the pets that consume these products, reported (verified or not) incidents only account for .003% of consumption. That is a much better ratio than most canned cat foods.

But normally when something is a problem, they send the stuff to the labs and within a couple months the cause of the problem is known. Theres a contaminent discovered, some ingeredient is bad, some chemical or biological mutation is found, Uncle Yangs finger is discovered, SOMETHING! But in this case, absolutely nothing has been found. Nothing! there isn;t even anything that when tested to see if it remotely can harm a animal, well nothing, nada, zip.

Compounding this is that the "label" for the concern is Chicken jerky from China.... But that is false since they are now discovering reports of animals illnesses and deaths from chicken jerky products made in the USA and elsewhere. The China aspect is only because 98% of all chicken jerky comes from china so at least 98% of the probelms will be Chinnesse products. As more people report issues and identify what they used, its seems to really be Chicken Jerky regardless of where it comes from. The British and European reports haven't limited it to chinesse chicken jerky but to all jerky meat products fed to pets.

So, there are some speculations about what is happening but now it creates a more serious problem. The front running belief is that the jerking process uses some ingredients that when mixed with certain products anaimsl use, it creates some toxic effect. So it could be heart worm medication, maybe certain flea and tick treatment, some joint suppliment, maybe even the regular food. Or mabe its s certain shampoo, or certain other houshold chemical, and even the chew toy material that when mixed witht he jerky treats, a bad thing happends. There are literally millions of combination and they all have to be checked.

Another possibility some vets are now putting forward is that these products are safe except for animals suffering a certain condition that has not been tied to each other. It could be even harder if these dogs are undiagnoised because its not common and they exhibit no symptoms. Thats also a viable possibility that has to be examined and once again the combinatiosn are extensive.

Unfortunetely, no governement agency has any authority to step in and halt the sale because they are required by law to show scientific evidence that a product is harmful. All they can do is warn, send out notices, and raise fear, but they can not stop the sale. But as we see, there has been warnings issued and this has been reported for some time now, yet sales of chicken jerky remain robust and exceeds prior years sales. So obviously, the majority of pet owners could care less and will continue feeding their pets this product.

All you can do (now that your aware), is to stop giving it and spread the word.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:58 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
I just saw an ad on TV today for Milo's treats...guess which one they were promoting? Chicken Jerky..

Old 04-13-2012, 03:17 PM

25 posts, read 40,990 times
It's not that difficult or time-consuming to offer our pets real "treats". It takes little effort to grill a "real" piece of chicken breast or thighs...cut it up and offer that as a special treat. Buy real beef, cut it up...and serve. Easy as can be. Makes no sense to spend money on these fake so-called dog food products made in China or anywhere for that matter. Read the ingredients, do a per piece cost analysis, and the sensible and humane way to feed is clear.

I refer to the "dog food" aisle in supermarkets and other stores as the Aisle of Death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs