Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:28 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,477,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5 View Post
I second the Craigslist idea although be very careful screening people. Also, I don't know if you were on good terms with your landlord before this but you could also ask since you are only there for the next 2-3 months if you could pay an additional "pet rent" or an additional deposit. A friend of mine was in a similar situation and offered to pay a $500 deposit so the landlord had piece of mind that if the dog did destroy anything, they would have the deposit to fall back on. Its worth a try. Good luck to you!
Good point. Evictions cost money to do and take a lot of time. It would be worth asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 12:39 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,683,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Love this post, and could not have said it better, especially about the boarding and the vet

To the OP: careful with Craigslist; remember that you don't know who she would be going to, and it is very easy to pose as an animal lover

I thought the same thing as another poster, I wish I lived in Ohio, I would sooo foster her for you. That said, have you tried the Ohio forum? I would trust that much more than Craigslist, although I am not sure if such a posting allowed on CityData.

I would stay away from rescues; it sounds like there is too much of a chance that she could be euth'd at the rescues in your area.

If you can afford it, a boarding facility is your best bet. If not, I agree about contacting your vet; he/she may even offer to foster your girl or will at least be able to rec someone who can.

Thanks for your response..I just got off the line with the vet who said she had a few people in mind and would call around and let me know by Monday. Fingers crossed. I put up an ad on craigslist but I would be scared of going through with it. I would as a last option but I think my vet is by far the #1 choice. Boarding is an option but with the house and the new baby coming moneys not easy to part with it. But if it would save my baby then im not ruling it out.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:52 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,141,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Thanks for your response..I just got off the line with the vet who said she had a few people in mind and would call around and let me know by Monday. Fingers crossed. I put up an ad on craigslist but I would be scared of going through with it. I would as a last option but I think my vet is by far the #1 choice. Boarding is an option but with the house and the new baby coming moneys not easy to part with it. But if it would save my baby then im not ruling it out.
Terrific!!!

Keep us posted.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,966,771 times
The problem with going the craigslist route is that you might not get her back.

Do the apartments allow pets at all, or is it a matter of breed restrictions? If they allow pets, just go pay the pet deposit.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,683,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The problem with going the craigslist route is that you might not get her back.

Do the apartments allow pets at all, or is it a matter of breed restrictions? If they allow pets, just go pay the pet deposit.

not allowed at all

Old 04-29-2011, 01:42 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,915,545 times
if you have a local doggy day care many will board long term for situations like this, some pet sitters are also willing to take animals into their own homes for situations like this (youd of course pay for these)
check care.com for petsitters in your area or to put up a wanted add.

id also talk to your vet and see if anyone might be willing to foster her in exchange for you paying food any potential vet care and something for thier time and effort.

mabe a family member might be willing to puppy sit?

good luck, its a tough position to be in and i dont envy you in any way shape or form, this is why im so adamant about people not buying when they rent unless they have permission in writing...

the other option since 2 months isnt far away you last option might be to break your least 2 months early and move now if thats a posibility.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:14 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,191,183 times
If you were truly evil you would have dumped the dog on a road somewhere and never started this thread. I guess I know of more evil than most on here. Yes, you made a mistake. I can appreciate someone that admits a mistake and wants to solve it as best as possible. Research rescues and the humane society. My local one has a no kill policy. Dogs are a huge responsibility, more than people imagine until they take it on. I hope all works out.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,308,784 times
It takes months to get evicted. Here's the law for Ohio: Landlord and Tenant Rights and Duties Under Ohio Law

Have you tried to talk to your landlord and ask for permission to keep the dog untdil July? You can offer to pay an additional non-refundable security deposit or rent. It's worth a try.

You said you knew people who would watch your dog for a few days, not a couple of months. If you don't have someone by the 10 days, start moving your dog around from friend to friend, staying a few days each. When you've worn out that option, board the dog. You just need to stall time to give the vet time to find someone.

Also, I haven't seen in this thread that you've tried to contact a pitt bull rescue group in your area. Definitely do that. Someone might take your dog in for a few months if you pay the food expenses, etc., without your dog actually being put up for adoption. Breed specific rescue groups do not put dogs to sleep. They are people who are passionate about saving dogs. You're very likely to find people who are willing to help you via a pitt bull rescue group in your area.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,308,784 times
I notice you are in Columbus.

Here's the pitt bull rescue group for your area:

Measle's Animal Haven Pit Bull Rescue Columbus | Facebook

PBRC WebApp | Organization Detail | Measle's Animal Haven, Inc.

Here's Pittsburgh's pit bull rescue (only 3 hours away):

PBRC WebApp | Organization Detail | Pittsburgh Pit Bull Rescue

DO NOT give your dog to someone from craig's list. It could be someone who wants to train her to fight.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:11 AM

426 posts, read 1,574,657 times
Good advice given, I would also add to ask the rescue groups, if they board dogs, where they board them. I know there are places in So Cal that have rescue discounts, or low priced long term boarding for rescues, maybe they can help you out. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs