Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:01 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,145 times

Advertisements

Ok first and foremost I know I am a evil person for putting my dog in this situation so no need to tell me.

As some of you know I have a pit bull named Queen. When I found out I was pregnant I thought of getting rid of her but decided against it. Shes now 7 months old and such a sweetie pie. I love her so so much and couldnt imagine life without her.

We are buying a house and moving into it in late July. My current apartment doesnt allow dogs but me being that evil person I am got a puppy anyways. Its worked out fine so far, I take her for long walks and to a big field to play in at least 5-6 times a week. And shes not a barker so that works. Well somehow they found out. And I got a letter saying we had to get rid of her within 10 days or be evicted.

I have no one who will give her a temp home until we move. I am so lost and I dont know what to do. I feel horrible and would appreciate any advice you guys could give me. Options maybe, is there a group that would take her just until July? I dont want to lose her forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
Since you are so evil you could always turn her into an all breed or pitbull rescue and say you found her wandering in a field near your apartments and don't want to take her to a shelter b/c pitbulls get pts in lots of shelters...you wish you could keep her but your apartments don't allow. You can say, if she's still up for adoption after you move when your lease expires you'd sure love to adopt her b/c you've gotten somewhat attached to her. The adoption fee has got to be cheaper than boarding if in fact they even accept her.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:08 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
Oh crap! I'm so sorry. I've heard of places that foster dogs for people who have lost their homes till people get back on their feet. Your situation is different but maybe someone could help you. I'd call every local shelter and ask them for advice. They might have a suggestion. I don't know what else to suggest but I hope you can work something out. Please keep us posted.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:11 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,243 times
So you:
  • Willingly broke your apartment lease
  • Already wanted to get rid of your dog for something you don't know will be a problem
  • Don't have an emergency backup plan in case something DOES happen (who will watch the dog when you are in the hospital? What happens when you go away?)

And you are just now looking for help? You need to take a deep look at what you can and cannot do and reevaluate what needs to be done..

Old 04-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Since you are so evil you could always turn her into an all breed or pitbull rescue and say you found her wandering in a field near your apartments and don't want to take her to a shelter b/c pitbulls get pts in lots of shelters...you wish you could keep her but your apartments don't allow. You can say, if she's still up for adoption after you move when your lease expires you'd sure love to adopt her b/c you've gotten somewhat attached to her. The adoption fee has got to be cheaper than boarding if in fact they even accept her.

I dont know this for a 100% fact but another pit bull owner at a dog park told me in my city they dont allow pit bull adoptions they just put them to sleep even if someone WANTS to adopt them. But ill check first before I rule that out.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
So you:
  • Willingly broke your apartment lease
  • Already wanted to get rid of your dog for something you don't know will be a problem
  • Don't have an emergency backup plan in case something DOES happen (who will watch the dog when you are in the hospital? What happens when you go away?)
And you are just now looking for help? You need to take a deep look at what you can and cannot do and reevaluate what needs to be done..
the first one yes
second one I was scared and dumb but after reading and reserching made the right decision
third I could find someone to watch her for a few DAYS but not a few MONTHS

Old 04-29-2011, 11:14 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
I've actually seen postings on Craigslist for people who were in similar situations, that they needed their dog to be cared for (the owner would supply the food, treats, etc...) until they moved, with an exact moving date. The person would only have to supply the home. And the love.

I'm sure that there are plenty of low-lifes on Craigslist, but if you screen well, you should be able to weed out the bad from the good and find someone who will babysit Queenie for these few short months.

Try to find someone who lives close to you so that you can go visit and keep up at least some of your routine with her, such as the long walks in the field.

Good luck! If I lived near you -- and if Artie wasn't insane -- I'd take her in for you.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Oh crap! I'm so sorry. I've heard of places that foster dogs for people who have lost their homes till people get back on their feet. Your situation is different but maybe someone could help you. I'd call every local shelter and ask them for advice. They might have a suggestion. I don't know what else to suggest but I hope you can work something out. Please keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice Im going to call around as soon as I get home

Old 04-29-2011, 11:17 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
the first one yes
second one I was scared and dumb but after reading and reserching made the right decision
third I could find someone to watch her for a few DAYS but not a few MONTHS
I do not mean to sound like a know-it-all or someone pushing into your business, but the next time you take in a living animal, please make sure you are doing 100% the right thing..

Old 04-29-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I've actually seen postings on Craigslist for people who were in similar situations, that they needed their dog to be cared for (the owner would supply the food, treats, etc...) until they moved, with an exact moving date. The person would only have to supply the home. And the love.

I'm sure that there are plenty of low-lifes on Craigslist, but if you screen well, you should be able to weed out the bad from the good and find someone who will babysit Queenie for these few short months.

Try to find someone who lives close to you so that you can go visit and keep up at least some of your routine with her, such as the long walks in the field.

Good luck! If I lived near you -- and if Artie wasn't insane -- I'd take her in for you.
Thats an awesome idea!!!!! Putting an ad up as we speak. I hope this works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs