Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,104,884 times

Advertisements

Are you giving your dog any sort of steroids? These medications cause increased thirst and of course the resulting peeing. I do know my carpets are constantly needing cleaning because each dog I've had and gotten finds carpets "required" pee areas until I let them know its not acceptable, but they always stop doing it....but dang though spots keep reappearing. So yes carpeting is a problem for dogs with this issue for sure, but I would still worry about the constant thirst...that isn't normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 09:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,984,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
The dog suffer are you kidding me? The dog doesn't suffer believe me. Its not like I beat this dog okay.
you have more patience than me. 4 freaking years of that? That dog would certainly have gotten it by now.

Sorry that I don't have any advice for you other than give the dog to someone else.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:38 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
as a side note, if your other dog has started peeing ontop and theres stainging ect the carpet is NOT being properly cleaned and th dogs will continue to return to that spot.
you need so SOAK it in an enxamatic cleaner.

best way is to purchase a small black light. turn out all the lights one evening and get down on your kees with the blacklight and a bottle of natures miracle and a cloth...
youll need ot natures miracle EVERY SINGLE pee spot (urine will glow under the blaclight but youll have to get close to it wiht the light) the scnet will have also soaked through the carpet into the under padding so i generlaly scrub the carpet then dump more onto the spot to let it soak all the way down...
then carpet shampoo...with a shampoo specifically for pet stains.

simply whiping up the mess then spryaing vinegar on the spot will do nothing...you need a good enzamatic cleaner on every accident spot.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:44 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,984,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

simply whiping up the mess then spryaing vinegar on the spot will do nothing...you need a good enzamatic cleaner on every accident spot.
we took in a stray and she would pee all over the place and then our males would pee over that. Pre-treating and then steam cleaning the carpet cleared up the problem

Old 11-27-2011, 10:10 PM

50 posts, read 227,805 times
Quote:
as a side note, if your other dog has started peeing ontop and theres stainging ect the carpet is NOT being properly cleaned and th dogs will continue to return to that spot.
you need so SOAK it in an enxamatic cleaner.
Quote:
Quoted for truth! Dogs have better senses than we do and look for spots that have their scent to do their business (My own dog will drag me two blocks to the "perfect spot" which she has marked as her own personal bathroom). Beagles in particular have excellent noses, better than most breeds, since beagles are primarily scent hounds. They were designed to pickup subtle scents among thousands. Puggles are half beagle, so they can inherit these traits. You may not smell anything and think the vinegar is strong enough to mask the smell, but your puggle's superior nose smells still smells urine underneath and will instinctively go there.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:18 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Foxy's advice on close tethering is very wise. Foxy knows her stuff.

But, at the same time, Sweetbottoms, I understand your frustration. I think it's highly likely your dog had problems before you ever got it. At this point, you may simply not have the time needed to correct this dog; it sounds to me that with a toddler, husband and another dog, there are restraints on how much of your time can be dedicated to that dog alone. Whatever you do in terms of correction also has to be done the same way by your husband to make it effective as well.

You might think of seeking a good replacement home for your little woofer. Some dogs simply need to be the only dog in a household. I think you are at the point where this is the case. The food issue troubled me- sometimes, this is a sign of frustrated dominance more than food insecurity- the dog may simply want to be the family's boss, and this can lead to only bigger problems if it's true. While every bad habit a dog may have can be corrected, not every person has the patience, resources or time to correct every bad habit.

It's not your fault, or the dog's. It's just the way it is. I have had puppies that were as frustrating as yours; sometimes the dog and I worked things out, and other times, we didn't. I was always able to find a good home for those dogs, and it always worked out for the best for both of us. For me, I learned a long time ago that I have plenty of room in my life for one dog, but not for two or more.

You are obviously very frustrated, and are angry a lot of the time. Why continue with both? I would have to really love that dog to go through all the training both of you need to undergo. For sure, you need some strong outside help that is ongoing for some extended period of time.

We are all different, just as our dogs are. Do the best for you and for the dog. Whatever that 'best' may be is going to be your decision, but I don't think daily misery is good for either of you. In my opinion, none of your problems should have lasted this long.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:26 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,662,258 times
Ok listen let's be realistic, pets are suppose to bring joy to your life, most of them do, a few don't. If this pet isn't bringing joy, give it up, or make it live outside. You don't need to suffer.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:36 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
Why didnt Foxy & the reat read what the OP said..... She Tried the tettering & put down New Carpet! So I cant see telling her she isnt Cleaning good enough the problem! Or she needs to tie the dog to her! LOL I wont try the tettering with LadyBug cause I could Kill her IF I run over her! And My Carpets are Brand NEW!

Old 11-28-2011, 12:52 PM

630 posts, read 1,718,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Ok listen let's be realistic, pets are suppose to bring joy to your life, most of them do, a few don't. If this pet isn't bringing joy, give it up, or make it live outside. You don't need to suffer.

^^^^This! Well said Cali!

Old 11-28-2011, 12:56 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
actually while the first part is good point...the latter NOT well said at all...
making this dog live outside just ebcause the person doesnt have the time needed to properly train it (though no fault of the ops own family comes first) is INSANITY and just plain cruel, dogs ar epack animals and very few (especially short coated breeds with even slightly squished faces) do well living outside full time.

find the dog a new home, take it to a shelter or rescue facility but do NOT "make it live outside"
besides the dog would probbaly drive you even crazier going into beagle bugle mode...beagle and beagle mxes are more than happy to announce to the enitre neighborhood when there not happy...

unfortunatly training issues are quite common in this mix...
whoever thoguth it was a good idea to put 2 increidbly stubborn breeds together into one little package was INSANE.
a breed whos entire life is dedicated to sniffing and a breed who can barley breath properly on a good day, both stubborn and often hard to train, and ruled by the tummy (both breeds will eat just about anything...
yup sounds like genius lol.

op i do understand the frustration...and its a shame, these are not issues you caused, she came to you damaged goods and unfortunatly people rehoming their pets often "forget" to share this type of info with people...
but i think given your family situation, the none housebreaking issues ect, a rescue center would be much better equipt to get this dog sorted out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs