Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:37 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times

Advertisements

Our older dog had 'psychogenic polydipsia' when she was a puppy. We had to seriously monitor and curtail her water intake until she got older. Because with all that drinking, of course she had to pee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 AM

48,181 posts, read 22,026,263 times
I got a dog from the humane society..(3 years old)..that seemed just too good to be true.....good with kids, other dogs, not a barker, not a chewer....loves to go on walks etc etc. I asked the desk, "Why is this dog here.....she sounds perfect The answer was, "she can't be housebroken.....she has been returned 3 times and failed in our very best foster home."

I commented.....that sounds like a death sentence for a dog in a shelter with the note (on the back of her kennel card) "cannot be house broken". They said, "pretty much" unless we can find a placement where she will be an outside dog.

My partner and I decided to take the challenge....we were both retired, had a fenced in yard in s. California where she could go in and out as often as necessary.

Well it was a challenge! This sweet lovable girl wouldnt poo or pee outdoors....after long walks she would find a place in the house to do her business.....and then shake and tremble in anticipation of being scolded or worse. She is such a loveable dog....and has such positive feelings about people....I dont think she was ever abused....but she sure had trauma around housebreaking.

The happy ending is that persistence......long and frequent walks......praising even if she so much as sniffed where another dog had gone....and absolute ignore the behavior each and everytime she messed up (take her outside while one of us cleaned it up)....after about a month or so.....she got it. Over the past 4 years she has become 95% trained.....and the relapses are usually due to illness.

I am not criticizing the OP or saying they did anything wrong......but I got a dog with a bad bad history, and thank god we were able to teach her.....for she is one of the best pets, friend, good girl.....I could imagine. That is my McKenzie....the wonder dog.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 PM

982 posts, read 3,488,993 times
You expect an animal that does not have the same mental capacity that you do, to think and interpret like you do...and that's clearly not possible. The dog probably dumps and pees all over the place because it's the only way she knows how to express how angry she is with you. The dog needs to be in a new home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
The dog suffer are you kidding me? The dog doesn't suffer believe me. Its not like I beat this dog okay. I spanked it and NOT hard what is everyone's focus with that? Am I the first person every to spank a dog?. I've hit her twice in the 4 years once for biting my daughter and the other for peeing on her sippy cup. Believe me the dog doesn't suffer we've done EVERYTHING for this dog including ICU care driving 45 mins between two hospitals so she could be monitored by day at one and by night at the other. She's been on cross country vacations and doggy spas and daycares, she does NOT suffer or want for anything. The only ones suffering are the people in this house. I hardly abuse my dog.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 AM

18,736 posts, read 33,427,167 times
While saying that a dog doesn't think and interpret like a person, TT then says that the dog is expressing her anger with dumps and pees. I don't think dogs know how to act that way, either. OP's situation sounds like a no-winners all around, but I doubt the dog is "expressing" anger. People do that, dogs don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs