Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
It may come as a surprise, but some of us with yards still walk our dogs and don't just throw them in the backyard. When I lived in my apartment, my dogs loved going to the dogpark in the morning and getting their evening walks around the lake at the other park.
I have a large yard, but I always walk my dog, or go to a dog park for him to run freely. My yard's fence is not tall enough or secure enough that I'm comfortable leaving my dog unattended in it,so no to the throwing him in the backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
At risk of sounding like a breed elitist... min pins are to real Dobermans as Chihuahuas are to Great Danes.
My point wasn't whether or not they are "real" dogs (nor was it an argument regarding whether they are analogous to Dobermans), it was that they are small dogs that seem content with living in a large apartment.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:49 PM

80 posts, read 151,611 times
I think the OP is just one of those people that doesn't have real beliefs, but rather bases their ideas of what's right or wrong primarily on how much controversy it stirs up (hence, the OP not coming back to post, but more than likely lurking to read all the responses, hoping for drama.)

That said, I have a yard and I can honestly say I've never seen my yard "exercise" my dogs. A yard is an inanimate object, the same as the couch. I have one dog that likes to sun for about an hour a day (when it's warm) and when she's done lounging in the grass, she requests to come back in. I have another dog who stands at the door waiting to come back inside with me if I happen to be so rude as to go inside without him and close the door. He would absolutely HATE being locked outside without me there. Neither dog gets mental stimulation or exercise from the yard. They get mental stimulation and exercise from me taking them for daily walks and hikes and spending time with them. Whether or not I perform those tasks has nothing to do with whether or not I have a yard. My yard does not provide them with the stimulation they need.

I think it's irresponsible to preach about the necessity of having a yard if you have dogs. Preaching to people about the need to have a yard if you have a dog is in a way telling them "the dog should spend the majority of its time outside". People translate that to mean, "the dog needs to be outside, more than he needs to be with his family". This mind-set has persisted for a long time and saying one needs a yard to have a dog continues to reinforce that mindset. A dog that is left alone in a yard with little interaction from others, no mental stimulation, and no way to burn off energy (because lets face it, grass gets boring to chase after seeing it day in and day out) is a dog that is not being respected or treated properly. (I am specifically talking about pets and NOT working dogs, who do get stimulation from their "job" outside.)

Myself and all my immediate neighbors would say the same thing if polled about the dogs in our neighborhood. The ones that live indoors and are seen going on regular activities with their owners are much better behaved and much more balanced than the dogs who drive everyone crazy barking constantly and trying to eat the fence because they are left in the backyard with no interaction for hours on end. I believe a dog needs to spend time exercising and enjoying what life has to offer. A yard doesn't automatically give those things to a dog.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:53 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,402,607 times
Large and medium size dogs don't belong in an apartment. Especially certain breeds. It's not just about exercize. It's about environment. A dog is happier to have a yard right outside to wander around or play fetch then being cooped up in an apartment. That's just common sense. Even if you have a yard, you still have to walk the dog though. That's the mistake...thinking because you have a yard, you don't have to walk the dog. Oh and just leaving your dog outside all the time with no human interaction is not right either.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have a large yard, but I always walk my dog, or go to a dog park for him to run freely. My yard's fence is not tall enough or secure enough that I'm comfortable leaving my dog unattended in it,so no to the throwing him in the backyard.
Yes, but having your yard right there gives more opportunities for the dog to get outside while you're at home watching so you don't have to constantly go somewhere else. Makes it more convienient sometimes, no?

Old 01-29-2012, 02:58 PM

80 posts, read 151,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Large and medium size dogs don't belong in an apartment. Especially certain breeds. It's not just about exercize. It's about environment. A dog is happier to have a yard right outside to wander around in then cooped up in an apartment. That's just common sense.
I think there have been enough responses on this thread from people, such as myself, who have large to medium sized dogs that are not happy outside wandering around in a yard to show it is not an accurate assessment of all dogs. Some dogs love to be outside, while others only want to be outside if their family is out there with them. I also think that preference has nothing to do with the size of the dog, but the personality of the dog and I think that is the common sense part of the equation.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMidnightSoul View Post
I think there have been enough responses on this thread from people, such as myself, who have large to medium sized dogs that are not happy outside wandering around in a yard to show it is not an accurate assessment of all dogs. Some dogs love to be outside, while others only want to be outside if their family is out there with them. I also think that preference has nothing to do with the size of the dog, but the personality of the dog and I think that is the common sense part of the equation.
It's not healthy to leave any dog outside alone all the time. Think of yard as a convienient park in your backyard where you can take the dog to play at will which is important in our busy lifestyle.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:18 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,599,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Large and medium size dogs don't belong in an apartment. Especially certain breeds. It's not just about exercize. It's about environment. A dog is happier to have a yard right outside to wander around or play fetch then being cooped up in an apartment. That's just common sense. Even if you have a yard, you still have to walk the dog though. That's the mistake...thinking because you have a yard, you don't have to walk the dog. Oh and just leaving your dog outside all the time with no human interaction is not right either.

How do you know that a medium or large breed dog is happier just because it has a yard right outside the door?. As I stated in a previous my two border colllies mixes were happy as can be and they did not have yard.When we visited my parents who had a yard they only wanted to be out if I was out interacting with them. By not having a yard all 3 of us got a lot of exercise which is something many people these days need just as much as a dog does. People that met the dogs always remarked on how happy they seemed. I not only gave them a lot of physical execrise but a ton of mental stimulation which is very important to have a happy dog. I work 3 12 hr night shifts a week and the dogs can go out onto a small outside patio while I a gone and even as puppies I had very little damage to my home or my things. Unhappy bored dogs are going to destroy things so guess my medium working breed mixes somehow managed to be happy with life in a condo...go figure!

Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
i know MANY LARGE (im talking danes, wolfhounds, greyhounds, rotties ect) who are MORE than happy in their apartments, sure they hog the couch, but as long as their wner is willing to give them the extra excersize theres NO reason a dog cannot happily and healthily live in an apartment...
a lazy owner is a lazy owner whether they have a yard or not...
a yard does not make for a healthier dog environment unless the owner is going to be outside with the dog the enitre time its out there engaging the dog ie playing fetch working on obedience running a backyard agility course ect...a yard on its own is about as usefull for a dog as a rock to the head...
a yard is infact simply a convenience to humans who dont want to HAVE to phsycally walk their dogs...
a dog doesnt care if hes got a yard to run in (assuming he gets regular trips to the park, or goes on hiking trips ect) all a dog cares about is his people are with him as much as possible...
ive got a frined who travels cross country in a tiny little converted van with her dog (greyhound x dane) and the dog is VERY happy with the set up, he gets to spend almost every waking moment with her, LOVES to ride in the car, he gets to sleep on the bed, gets some of the best food money can buy and he gets LONG walks multiple times every day, not to mention they camp in some of the most beautiful places in the USA every week...
is it "convenient" to stop every 4 hours to take the dog for a walk...no...but if your looking for convenience get a pet rock!

Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMidnightSoul View Post
Here here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs