Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 09:06 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,636,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I have a 6 year old that really wants a dog. I realize I will be the sole caregiver and owned a toy dog in college.

I was looking for a smaller dog (under 25 lbs), that doesn't shed, is intelligent, good natured, and doesn't require "high maintainence" (ie surgeries, medical problems, known congenital issues, more than average exercise requirement, etc). It will be an inside dog except for walks. I am looking into going to the pet shelters to save a dog from an uncertain future but will consider a pure bred.

Any ideas?
Don't rule out any rescue organizations. Many times they can give you more info on a pooch than a shelter can. Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 07:04 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,682,522 times
I have a ten pound shihtzupoo, an eight pound maltese, and a two pound yorkiepoo. None of them shed and all of them are good with children. (I wouldn't recommend a two pound dog around a six year old though because dogs that small are a bit fragile.)

We researched dogs for two years before we got our first dog and then decided on a maltese. My daughter was seven when we got him and he has been the most gentlemanly dog we have ever owned. As far as just a nice, calm, well-mannered dog, that does not shed, I don't think you can beat a maltese.
He was easy to housebreak, too. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2007, 07:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,479,239 times
Bichon Frise are also very popular for their temperment. They're supposed to be great with kids, extremely smart, they're small......I'm not sure about shedding though??

Old 09-16-2007, 12:59 AM

251 posts, read 1,313,251 times
ALL DOGS SHED. Bichon, Havanese, Maltese and anything with the word "poo" need regular grooming. Fuzzy or long haired dogs that don't "shed" MATT. So many people buy or adopt dogs THEN call about grooming and then the groomer becomes the bad guy when they find out how much it costs. TALK TO A GROOMER FIRST! A good groomer sees many different dogs and breeds and mixes just in one day. Please don't get a dog because "my kid really wants one". Kids "really want" alot of things. Get a dog because YOU want one and do research on breeds FIRST BEFORE you go to the pound so you have an idea of what you are getting yourself into!

Old 09-16-2007, 04:49 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,741,475 times
I would love to adopt from the Pet Shelter in Mandarin.

I saw a couple of dogs online that had my interest.

At the risk of sounding naive, how do so many dogs end up in the shelters. It is so sad to see what % are put to sleep.

Do you get an opportunity to sit with the dog and determine its temperament/personality? Were they abused? How do you deal with the unknown social history? Should I bring in the assistance of a dog trainer before a problem even arises? The major risk I also see from a shelter is that you cannot bring it back if it is taken to a vet and something medically wrong with the dog (von Willebrand's, cancer, hip dysplasia, seizure disorder, etc).

Old 09-16-2007, 04:56 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,923,474 times
I know there are a lot of dogs in the shelters that need help, but since you have a daughter I would suggest you find a rescue that can help you with matching you and your daughter with the right dog. The problem with shelters is that they most likely don't know what the history of the dog is. JMO

Dogs end up in shelters for a lot of reasons. People don't do their home work and end with a dog that doesn't suite their family life style. Divorce, moving, can't take the dog with them. There's so many reasons. It's sad.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:34 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,998,206 times
Dogpaw is right to say there are lots of reasons why pets end up in shelters and in rescue groups. The collie we got from a shelter had been given up by his family because he chewed the kids' toys and wouldn't stop going in the house. He got the tag line of "possible behavior issues". However, simply giving him his own toys and taking him out more than once a day and realizing that collies are big dogs with big needs - well, two weeks was all it took to turn these "behavior issues" around since obviously the original family hadn't bothered to show him what to play with and just to ask to go out inbetween regular outings. Geesh.

Each rescue group and shelter has its own set of policies. Some require home visits or other kinds of family scrutiny. Others are less strict. Some will take back a pet regardless of the reason (change of mind or not a good match after all or chronic illness, etc.) The woman who sheltered the Bichon/Terrier we have now required us to visit her and the dog at her home. She watched us interact to see if she thought we would fit the dog and vice versa. We then went home so that she and we could think about it - no spontaneous nor spur-of-the-moment adoptions allowed.

In most cases I don't think the rescue groups or shelters do know the intimate details of a pets' life and can only speculate based on previous experience or tidbits of info brought along with the pet. However, most shelters have a vet who does give a look-see for medical conditions, and reputable shelters will handle accordingly. In many cases there should be no medical surprise when adopters take the new pet to their personal vet.

With previous dogs we lived with lint rollers and the upholstery vacuum tool at our beck-n-call. Not so much anymore (except for cat fur). Our Bichon/Terrier doesn't shed like dogs whose fur typically flies all over the place. He's white and allowed to lounge on our hunter green chenille sofa, but there's never any evidence he's been there. His hair grows and needs cutting, and periodic combing will prevent mats. But going to the "spa" isn't that big a deal nor horribly expensive. We keep his hair sort of short and comb him about twice a week. He gets a bath and basic cut at the groomer about every 6 to 8 weeks - costs anywhere between $30-45 depending on if he has any mats we couldn't comb out (which is rare).

Astrogal made a good suggestion about talking to a groomer -- they do indeed see every breed of dog and certainly know which ones are more tolerant and patient and friendly.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:40 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,741,475 times
I checked online and call the Shelter. 2 had URIs and 1 had a skin condition undergoing treatment with severe tick infestation. Yikes.

I will check on the one with URIs next week. It is completing antibiotics.

In the meantime, I will look at some pet shops to see other pure breeds.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:23 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,923,474 times
titaniumme.......I would stay clear of pet shops. You could end up with a pup with so many problems. A lot of them are very hard to house train, if they can be house trained at all, because they go potty in the same cage they are kept in. Some have health problems because they come from BYB that all they care about it producing litter after litter. I know those pups in the pet store are very cute, but you could end up with a pup with so many issues.

I would seek out a rescue. Find one that has been in a foster home, they will match up with a pup that is right for you. Plus they will know of any issues the dog may have, if you choose to go with a little bit older dog.

There are also foster homes that have puppies. If you prefer to go that route. Good luck with your search.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:48 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,479,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I would love to adopt from the Pet Shelter in Mandarin.

I saw a couple of dogs online that had my interest.

At the risk of sounding naive, how do so many dogs end up in the shelters. It is so sad to see what % are put to sleep.
It is not a naive question - it's one that should be asked over and over again .

Many people still think pets are disposable. They will come up with all sorts of lies (a new baby; sudden "allergies"; no "time"...) when in reality they just aren't interesting in their commitment to the animal anymore.

A new pet really has to be approached as if you were bringing home a new child - it is that serious. No matter where you get your dog, dogs can get ill, unforseen genetic issues can arise, injuries happen.....and you will be stuck dealing with it.

I have spent thousands and thousands on my pets just in the last 6 or 7 years - I am not kidding. I had a dog injure her leg and it had to be rebuilt. I had a bird ingest something toxic and he was in the "bird hospital" for months. We took in an older cat who had an earlier tooth removal job that was botched and had to be redone. One of my dogs has a thyroid and heart condition that requires $60 worth of medication per month. And I'm not even getting into the special foods, the regular vet visits, the grooming for the birds..........

Some people spend their extra money on vacations......mine goes to the vets .

When I take an animal in it is for LIFE - for better or worse.

Whatever pup you choose, know that there will be an adjustment period. If it is a dog in need from a shelter or a rescue group, that adjustment period may be awkward and may last a while.

I would not overthink it too much - you need to find that dog you connect with . The people at the animal shelters actually can know a lot about a dog, they have enough experience to be able to size them up pretty well (which ones like cats, which ones may not be good for children, which ones are well-trained. etc.).

If you want to adopt a dog from the shelter - do it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs