Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 04:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,042,932 times

Advertisements

We are on our third English Mastiff, we got our first in 1994.
Sometimes I think it would be easier to have a smaller dog, but the lovable qualities win out.
Mastiffs are mellow, yet ready to play if you are. They have dignity; they are watchful guardians, but are not reckless.
Mastiffs are not dumb, but are not problem-solvers like German Shepherds, which works for me because mastiffs tend to not 'get into trouble' as a bored, extremely intelligent dog might do.
Like most breeds, they are devoted companions, all they really want in life is to be with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 07:58 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,359,859 times
Our family breed is the dachshund. We prefer the long haired variety because they are a little bit more mellow and bark less. Lots of dog in a little package. They are very portable, we would bring ours anywhere as they love people. They love to go for walks. And love the outdoors, they really are mini-hunting dogs (hound). You should not spoil a dachshund or you will have temperment problems - they are very dominant dogs and want to take over your house. They are great watchdogs as they always need to know what's going on.

If you want a super "obedient" dog that worships the ground you walk on, dachshunds are not for you. as they do not feel guilty if they do something bad. If you want a great companion, they are wonderful. Great with kids and very clownish personalities.

I do not have a fave "big dog" breed though. If we were to ever get a large dog, I would just go to a shelter and find one. The shelters are loaded with the big ones (lab mixes/ shepherd mixes/ golden mixes/ pitbull mixes. etc) that need good homes.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:37 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,068,998 times
Yes I'm a breedist =P. My breed would be the Pug. My former job was grooming, I did it for 2 1/2 years so I dealt with most breeds, and I have to say that there are many dogs that I would NEVER want to own, and that would include most of the smaller breeds, since they tend to be more yappy-like. But I love Pugs. Love their personality, and sense of humor. Good watch dogs too. The shedding and snoring is their biggest problem, but I'm way over that already. This is only breed I think I'd ever own. Shih Tzu, never again.. I love mine now, but no more after her.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:16 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonofillfaith View Post
Yes I'm a breedist =P. My breed would be the Pug. My former job was grooming, I did it for 2 1/2 years so I dealt with most breeds, and I have to say that there are many dogs that I would NEVER want to own, and that would include most of the smaller breeds, since they tend to be more yappy-like. But I love Pugs. Love their personality, and sense of humor. Good watch dogs too. The shedding and snoring is their biggest problem, but I'm way over that already. This is only breed I think I'd ever own. Shih Tzu, never again.. I love mine now, but no more after her.
I'm not really a small dog person either. I think they are adorable, but just not for me. I have never spent any real time around a Pug, so I don't really know much about their temperaments and personalities, but I do think they are so cute! I love bully breeds and Pugs have the same kind of mushed in face that Bulldogs have! Too cute!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:40 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,359,859 times
dragon: I love pugs - my friend is into pug rescue. I have never met a mean pug.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:01 AM

146 posts, read 738,969 times
http://www.pixloads.com/files/15488/dogdayz1.jpg (broken link)
I LOVE my Rottweiler!

Old 09-19-2007, 10:37 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,529,780 times
Like all dogs over knee high,dislike ankle biters..

Bloodhounds #1 capture your heart
Then any other hound or bird dog.
Then hienz 57's ,collies, dalmations, sheperds.

one dog cannot stand and even doing Katrina rescue told them would not be in my house was a poodle..I took the pits and pit crosses and other large dogs that had all the problems(skin infections,totally abused and scared
*****less ones that took awhile to gain trust) but they tried talking me into a poodle and said not worth my time to do the 6 hours 1 way for a animal did not like.I even took cats over a poodle!

Sorry poodle lovers.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:15 AM

146 posts, read 738,969 times
http://www.pixloads.com/files/15488/mayassep07shore1.jpg (broken link)
AND my Nottweiler!

Old 09-19-2007, 01:23 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,712,494 times
It was nice to hear everyone's favorite breeds. At first when I saw Breedist I was thinking the type of breedist that is like a racist. One thing I hate is breedism!! I'm so glad it was a positive thread though.

My favorite breed is hands down the APBT. I have had many other breeds, from small to large, mainly larger breeds like Doberman, Rottweiler, Boxer, Cane Corso, Belgian Shepherd, Boerboel, American Bulldog. I can never find a dog that "completes" me like an APBT. They seem to have all the traits that best agree with me. There are some challenges, there are probably drawbacks with any breed, with owning a dog period.

Traits I like-Good work ethic, a lot of drive but great house pets (some breeds like Heelers I hear don't do so well), physical beauty (IMO), short coat/very minimal grooming, very clean, easy to crate/potty train, love to please, love kids, watchful/protective, intelligent and willing to learn, affectionate, clownish, full of puppy energy their whole lives.

I will probably be trying out a Bull Terrier for the 1st time. Although I'm undecided, my husband had one a long time ago and he really likes them. His friend has offered him one so we might accept. That will surely be more his dog then mine. I know they have some similarity with APBTs though, so I'm sure they will fit right in.

I would also like to get Alano Espanols. They have a lot of physical and character attributes similar to the APBT. Except they are not easy to house train, do better outdoors, require less attention, and are more (dog) pack oriented (although they are dominant).
I think that they would be fitting, a nice outdoor "guard" (detterant/watchdog), great hunter, and will keep predators away from the goats. Although the APBTs already do a great job of keeping them from coming anywhere near our property. They tried twice and haven't been back in years (although we hear them at night). I feel I do not need a flock guardian, the dogs themselves are a good enough deterrent to keep coyotes away (not sure about Cougars but haven't had trouble with them yet). The Cane Corso/APBTs are good enough at herding to move the goats.

My husband really likes the Dogo Argentino though, but I believe the Alano will be a little less "touched" and "changed" then the Dogo. Its hard to decide when you can't meet a breed like Alano vs you can meet several Dogos in person.

Once I get chickens I'm afraid our "pet" fox will try to nap herself an easy meal. She gets pretty close to the dogs and us. She's lost any fear she may have had. I'm thinking a good fence around the chicken coop/chicken fence to keep her out. Yes that was off topic..

Old 09-19-2007, 01:55 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,068,998 times
No one ever mentions Japanese Chins.. I kind of like these dogs too. I only groomed a handful of them, not the most popular dog, but they seem pretty mild tempered and such a cute face. They look like bats lol

Pitbullmommie - Pugs are great! They have awesome personalities. Very playful and class clown type, but are also mellow and couch potatoes (like me, haha). I also like smushy faced dogs, theyre adorable.

A face only a mother could love..
Attached Thumbnails
Are you a breedist?-cimg0121.jpg   Are you a breedist?-cimg1149.jpg54654564.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs