Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:53 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times

Advertisements

[quote=Keeper;24788219]Excellent .. Keep em coming. We have around 20 or more seniors in our lunch group. Yes I am one of them!!!
I have done some research but I know you all have your own opinion.

When my Dad was ill , his internist suggested a small , or less active,lower maintenance dog to keep him company (he was sad as Mom already passed away).

There is a good site here also, which may help regarding dog adoptions and resources:

Please Adopt Us! - The Sanctuary for Senior Dogs

The Senior Dogs Project

Owning A Dog Is Good For Your Health

The study is a review of research papers that have explored the connection between domestic dog ownership and human wellbeing. In her research Dr Wells found papers that suggest domestic dog ownership can prevent people from getting ill, recover more quickly when they do fall ill, and give warning of early signs of cancer, seizures and hypoglycaemia.

Top 10 Best Reasons to Own a Dog

hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 02:04 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,284 times
Story first: My mom (may she R.I.P.) needed a little coaxing but she found an older Pom and I think it was LOVE at first sight. We didn't know much about the little guy and mom had been living alone for a couple of years. My cat had passed away a few years before and she had said, "No More! I just can't take the loss of another pet."

I knew she was lonely without a pet and studies show pets are good for us...and it would be good for her.

So, when her apartment complex opened up to small dogs (it had been cats only) we talked about it and she found Bubba-Lou a beautiful blonde Pom. My sister is a groomer so the grooming expense wasn't an issue. Bubba got mom out of the house and although mom was a social butterfly, dogs add just a little more.

Mom and Bubba had a few good years together, I am glad to say. She spoiled him rotten (lol). When she would travel, he would come here to visit with her grand-dogs and did just fine. (She LOVED my Am Staff and Cattle dog but I didn't ask her to "handle" them, she also bragged on her grand-dog (my Am Staff) to EVERYONE. Ha!)

Point being: I think if it sold as they are spayed/neutered we need foster care so we can find forever homes, you would be surprised how many would open their homes to it. If they are not on a low "fixed" income, they might be willing to buy the food. Vetting might be another issue but cross that bridge when you get to it. Each person and their needs will be a little different. As will be what dogs and breeds they will want to handle.

Or they are rescues and need homes, they aren't puppies with high energy or powerful breeds, seniors (at least some) know what it's like to be on that side of the deal (you aren't the young one on the block...someone else has come in and taken over...) and can relate. You would be surprised who would open their homes and hearts. You can sell these rescues as the ones that get passed over by the young families that want puppies or young dogs with lots of energy. These are the dogs that are happy finding a place in your heart and in your home.

I would also take a couple of dogs with me. Maybe one with medium and one older low energy? I also liked the bandana idea

Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,170,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I am giving a talk to some seniors about rescuing dogs and the benefits. I thought I would also bring up fostering too.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I can/should include
I cannot watch this ad without crying and wanting to jump in my car and grab all the babies at the local humane society. But I have all I can handle & afford with my two adoptees, who were abused.

Most of the seniors need companionship and the animals need love and security more than anything. Every nursing home should allow a least one pet the staff could take care of.

Best wishes to you. You're doing a wondeful thing!

In the Arms of an Angel - Stop animal abuse - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs