Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:31 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times

Advertisements

I got Max's teeth cleaned right before I moved to CO, so about 2 1/2 years ago. I think I paid somewhere around 300 dollars. His vet says it needs to be done again. They quoted me a little over 500 dollars. I know there's going to be a difference in cost between rural VA and a city like Denver, but good grief that seems like a LOT. How much have you guys paid and how often do you have it done? I don't like putting him to sleep and it has only been a couple years. Thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:38 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,953 times
$100/ anesthesia free. Worked great on my dog and I didn't think she'd go for it at all. It's been a few years since we had it done but that's only because she has really great teeth/gums. Another friend did it that way too despite some doubts, but in the end she was very happy with the result.

Not sure if it's a valid comparison but when we did our cat's teeth, it was $375 (I'm in LA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I got Max's teeth cleaned right before I moved to CO, so about 2 1/2 years ago. I think I paid somewhere around 300 dollars. His vet says it needs to be done again. They quoted me a little over 500 dollars. I know there's going to be a difference in cost between rural VA and a city like Denver, but good grief that seems like a LOT. How much have you guys paid and how often do you have it done? I don't like putting him to sleep and it has only been a couple years. Thoughts? Thanks!

Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
I think my vet is $200. Last time I did it a couple years ago it was $450 for teeth, blood panel, heart worm test, all yearly shots and unlimited vet visits for the year. He's a great vet and just over the passes in Gypsum, CO if you want to make a day of it and hang out in Vail.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:33 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
If you feed your dog raw meaty bones his teeth will never need cleaning. My three dogs have teeth so clean and so bright I need sunglasses to look at them.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:45 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Zero, I use an aditive in my dogs water called Triple-Pet plaque off from Jeffers and give him lots of chewies and brush his teeth every day. Lot cheeper than doing the Vet thing - my vet was so impressed he's starting to recommend it to his patients. Odie's teeth were nasty when I got him but they look really good now.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:32 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
$225 and I'm now convinced it's not something we shgould do routinely. If a dog seems to have dental issues, fine. But vets today make a big profit doing dentals, so they push it like crazy.

I would never do it on a senior if not absolutely necessary. Our 13-year old girl died ten days after a "routine" dental cleaning (the first of her life) last October. Long, heart wrenching and very expensive story short: she aspirated under anesthesia and developed pneumonia.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:09 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Max is really good and though he doesn't like having his teeth brushed very much I can do it without him biting or growling at me. Maybe I should up our teeth brushing routine and invest in some really good chewies. He does have some build up on his teeth, but it just seems like too soon to put him through that again. I thought dogs were only supposed to have their teeth cleaned a couple times over their whole lives?

Old 04-26-2013, 05:11 PM

857 posts, read 2,217,320 times
$500

Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Since feeding raw (started that in early 2000) I've only once had to pay for teeth cleaning. And that was a seven-year-old Rottweiler who had a slab fracture on a molar and while he was knocked out to get that repaired, the vet went ahead and cleaned his teeth but there really wasn't much to clean.

Prior to that it just depended on the dog...I had one who tended to get nasty teeth and gums and hers were done every couple of years. "How often" really depends on the individual dog, I think. Even before I went to feeding raw, I always gave my dogs plenty of marrow and knuckle bones for chewies and maybe that helped.

I think the going rate around here is about $200, give or take depending on the size of the dog. (Anesthesia tends to be a huge portion of the bill, so the bigger the dog, the bigger the bill.) Also many vets will recommend pre-op bloodwork, which will add a bit.

There are enzyme-infused rawhides that are supposed to be very good for controlling plaque; I think only vets sell them. Not sure about that.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Max is really good and though he doesn't like having his teeth brushed very much I can do it without him biting or growling at me. Maybe I should up our teeth brushing routine and invest in some really good chewies. He does have some build up on his teeth, but it just seems like too soon to put him through that again. I thought dogs were only supposed to have their teeth cleaned a couple times over their whole lives?
That may help in the future but you can't brush away the plaque that has already accumulated any more than we can do so for our own teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs