Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your dog have their CGC certification or not, and why?
Yes, my dog has their CGC certification 13 35.14%
No, but I am going to get my dog their CGC certification 8 21.62%
No, and I'm not planning on getting my dog their CGC certification 11 29.73%
I will explain in my post 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:17 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times

Advertisements

Yep...There are times even on here I be more afraid to meet the owner than the dog!
hehehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 11:02 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
I plan to do some next year. I need to sharpen their skills to be safe. I don't want them to fail, so just need to brush up.

The CGC can be subjective in some cases, so it depends on who's giving it. Its not 100% perfect. It also isn't meant for some breeds, what is acceptable breed behavior in some breeds or even correct temperament wouldn't likely pass a CGC test.

Somethings are for a reason, I know you know that, I'm just saying. If your dog has bad separation anxiety this is a fault. Its nerves, weakness, ect. So that is just one part of the reason they test that. A lot of people do CGC who breed so they kind of go with a breeding quality temperament. It is also whats used by a lot who have therapy dogs, so they want to make sure the dog is solid in all elements.
Maybe you can work on his SA? I saw on "Its Me Or The Dog" they helped one. It took a lot of repetition and patience but it worked.

A friend of ours mom took her Boxer and passed. Her dog has recently been attacked by another dog and therefore became dog aggressive. That concerned her but she still wanted to do the test. Like she was worried about her dog growled at the other dog. She thought he had failed but he passed.
Yeah, we do need to work on the separation anxiety. All three of our dogs have bad separation anxiety, but Brooklyn is by far the worst! With the girls, as long as one of us is with them when the other leaves, they are okay, for the most part. But with Brooklyn, it doesn't matter who is still with him, if one of us leaves he loses it! I think it's my fault they are like this too. The whole time we have had our dogs I have been a stay at home wife/ pet parent. They are hardly ever alone! I feel really bad because I know that have separation anxiety has to be miserable! That has to put so much stress on them, you know? I have always had some anxiety problems and I have always had problems with panic attacks, but I have just learned to get past it. I know how miserable that kind of stuff is, and the dogs can't rationalize like we can. They don't know how to deal with it, they don't know that we are coming back. I just feel really bad. That is definitely something we have to work on with them.

Like I said, I was reading about the 10 tests on the AKC website and it sounds like they could pass it as long as we can get over the separation anxiety. They are definitely not perfect, there are things we will have to work on, but the separation thing is our biggest hurdle I think. For test 1, accepting a friendly stranger, test 3, appearance and grooming, test 4, out for a walk (walking on a loose lead), test 6, sit and down on command and staying in place, test 7, coming when called, test 8, reaction to another dog and test 9, reaction to a distraction, I think all three of them would do very well even now. But for test 2, sitting politely for petting, test 5, walking through a crowd and test 10, supervised separation, we will definitely need to work with all three of them. Obviously we will need to work with all three of them on all of it, but our dogs are pretty well trained, they are very well socialized, they are obedient and they are extremely friendly, so I think with some work, they could all pass.

Getting their CGC isn't something we have to do, or even necessarily need to do, but I want to if we can. Especially because our dogs are APBTs. I want to do everything I possibly can to help show people that our dogs are not these man-eating monsters that the media makes them out to be. No they are not perfect, but they are wonderful dogs and my husband and I are good, responsible dog owners. I just think it would be a good thing all around. It will make us work with our dogs on things that need to be worked on, it will be a good, productive way to spend some good quality time together and with our dogs, and it will better us and our dogs in the end. Even if they don't pass the tests, at least we will have worked with them on certain things, you know?

Old 11-04-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I never heard of this. Don't see why I would do it. I love my dog, even without credentials.
We love our fur babies no matter what. To us, it's not about credentials, it's about spending some time with our pups working on things they need to work on and showing people that we are good dog owners and our dogs are good dogs. Being the owners of a so-called "dangerous" breed, we have to be better owners than owners of other breeds and our dogs have to be better behaved and more friendly than other dogs of other breeds. Our fur babies are like our children, we are not interested in titles and stuff like that, but I feel that getting their CGC will help people to realize that our pups are just as good and just as friendly as dogs of any other breed. We don't want to do this for us or for the certificate (or whatever you get), we are doing this for our dogs, so that people can see that they are not these man-eating monsters the media makes them out to be.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
What is a CGC certified?
CGC is Canine Good Citizen... AKC's Canine Good Citizen® (CGC) Program Sponsored by K9 Advantix® - Training/Testing

Old 11-04-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Not knocking any of the obedience titles, however landlords while they appreciate well mannered dogs, they also appreciate well mannered pet owners. Far too many who could careless (not implying anything, simply stating truths) ruined renting with pets for those of us that are responsible pet owners.
I agree! It's just like with all of the so-called "dangerous breeds. American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shepherds, Chows, Huskies, etc, are no more dangerous, no more mean or aggressive than other breeds, but because of some irresponsible owners and a bunch of twisted, over dramatic media hype, all of the responsible owners and good dogs are being punished! It's the same thing with renting. Because of some irresponsible dog owners all of the responsible dog owners and good dogs get punished. I hate irresponsible owners! They make our lives so much more difficult!

I do think that having CGCs would help with renting, for some people, but I really doubt it would make a difference for us. Because of the breed we own, no matter how great our dogs are, there are always going to be people that will assume that our dogs are monsters, no matter what. It's so sad. We are renting right now, but that's not why we want to get our dogs their CGC. We are already here and have been for over a year now, so obviously our landlord is okay with our dogs. Plus we will be moving to a different city and buying a home next August. We want to get our dogs their CGC to help show people that our dogs are great dogs and we are good owners, even though our dogs are APBTs. We just want to do it for our dogs.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:25 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
So don't do it. But don't knock those that do. This is not about weather you love your dog, your training or caring for your dog, per say. But is is about teaching basic manners to your dog. Having a dog that comes when called & does not pull you down the street when you take him for a walk. With or without the paper all dogs should have basic manners. The paper does come in handi when you rent. When I started renting after owning my own place for 20+ years. My sheltie was a bit overside for the landlords rules. The CGC got her to bend the rules. It was not until we moved in she found out Jetta was also CD & U-CD titled. 3 months later when I was paying the rent she saw Jetta assiting me discovering she was a home trained Service Dog the land lord returned my Pet Deposit. Land lords appreciate a well mannered dog!

Since you have never heard of this then before you can make an infored decission to do or not to do then you should check into it more. AKC.ORG
I wasn't knocking anything or anyone. The question asked if I would do it. Sorry you don't care for my answer.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:07 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
As someone said, CGC is not a measure of how much you love your dog or not, although I'd say that anyone who took the time to getting the CGC probably most likely loves their dog and is a responsible dog owner as well. It's nice to have a well behaved dog who doesn't pull, knows to sit politely while you talk to a neighbor down the street, and jump up on guests who come into your home. Just simple things that make the dog a nice companion to have around. Not much different from kids who behave as opposed to kids who misbehave, sometimes just for attention. The training also helps you become a better owner/trainer because it teaches the importance of consistency, and raises awareness in the owner of the elements that help build a bond. The CGC is as much for the owner as it is for the dog, since they're a team and they should work well together outside the home or inside the home. Each one knows what's expected of the other, which is comforting to the dog and builds a sense of security. Dogs like limits, and structure, and pattern, and they like knowing what the limits are ALL the time, not just sometimes. "Sometimes" builds insecurity and confusion. We need to remember that dogs are very much like toddlers, and while some dogs want to please the owner more than others (often breed or experience dependent), training is a way of communicating with them to let them know what their place is in the pack, and a way to build the bond.

Those people who are serious about going on with training will find that just about all training classes require that your dog has had basic training, which is most often CGC, as that's a good way of measuring what level your dog is at, which means he/she can go on to successfully complete the next level. We always want a dog to be successful, and we want to finish any training session on a fun and positive note.

So, those of you who don't want to get the titles or don't want to bother (yes, it takes time and effort) please don't look down on the "title". It's really just a report card, nothing more than a passing grade in, say, puppy kindergarden or first grade.

Katie1 and PitBullMommie, I tried to give you points, but can't - PitBullMommie you are exactly right! Do it for the dogs!

Oh, yes - to answer the question - Both our adults got their CGC's as young dogs - one at 6 mos, the other at about 1 year.
The puppy will be training for it soon.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:31 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,806 times
Our puppies did obidiance training, and they are very obidient. We don't plan on doing CGC - we think they are good without that. This is just our preference. But PBM, if you want that, I say go for it!!!

Old 11-04-2007, 04:58 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,039 times
I think people have a right to say if they are or are not going to get it.
I don't think you need it to prove you love your dog or that if you don't have it you should love your dog less, its just about showing that the dog does have a good temperament. Its a personal choice.
But it can be helpful. You can get insurance a lot easier if you APBT (or other blacklist breed) has a CGC. Some will not normally insure you with a Pit Bull, but if that dog has a CGC they will.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:05 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,239 times
My GSD has a CGC. She did perfect during the test. She heels and keeps eye contact and all those things during the training and in the testing environment. But outside of the training facility, if there is an rat running by, she will chase the rat no matter what... And CGC is very easy to obtain for us. I am proud of her! One more thing, my GSD loves ladies. During the test, a lady with a happy voice was holding her which I hid for three minutes. My GSD was busy at kissing the lady. If the judge was a man, I m not sure we can pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs