Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:14 PM

157 posts, read 564,961 times

Advertisements

Hi..anyone from either the Eden NC or Bassett Va area? We are looking to relocate in the general area. I'm finding some limits of the number of dogs allowed. We currently have 9 dogs (foster and our own) who would go with us. Mostly special need seniors (blind, deaf. lame) who are indoor dogs. The chances of any getting adopted a slim but I'm not going to euthanize for a move.There seems to be a limit of 6. I'm looking for an area that is semi rural that doesn't have a limit. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 12:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,080,604 times
Hi Casey,

I would suggest that you post your question on the NC and VA forums. Also, I'm guessing that the the City Hall of those places could tell you of their limits. If your number exceeds the limit, maybe the person on the phone will be helpful enough to suggest another area. Just a thought.

I hope it works out for you and your pups. You're wonderful for doing what you're doing for your seniors puppers.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,170,601 times
I'm in NC and I don't specifically about Eden but if you are rural and have a fence you should be alright as far as neighbors not complaining which is, after all, the main reason why communities set a limit. Still post this in the proper forums and you will get your answers.

this thread is from 2009 but it may help

Considering Move to NC with multiple dogs

Old 06-09-2013, 01:04 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,684,131 times
Look up county restrictions and try to find a place outside of city/town limits.
County restrictions are usually not terribly restrictive.

Very intelligent of you to research this BEFOREHAND!

Good luck!

Old 06-09-2013, 01:14 PM

157 posts, read 564,961 times
Thanks for all your responses. I did post to Virginia but no response as of yet. I did just find that as long as it's zoned agricultural, we're good, at least in VA.5 phone calls were friendly but re-directed.
The thread link was a big help for NC.
1st thing in is a fence. I never allow any to run free..besides they would rather be velcroed and drive me crazy! I can't stand barking so if one barks, he immediately comes in.
Now just have to find the perfect house.
1 level..no stairs for seniors
no carpet..hardwood with an antique finish to hide scratches
level area,,no dangerous cliffs or gullies
no busy streets
good vets
extra room for a sitter in case we win the lottery

Old 06-09-2013, 03:19 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,402,203 times
Honestly, if your dogs are all older and spend their time inside, no one would really care. My friend has 8 dogs in her house in an area that's zoned for 3, and they're all active and rambunctious animals. The neighbors don't care at all because they don't run loose and they aren't allowed to be outside and bark. As long as you're a good neighbor in every other way, the neighborhood will be grateful to have you.

I've got 5 medium-sized dogs in my house right now (zoned for 3, but of our "overflow" dogs, one is 16 years old and another is a service dog and so doesn't really count). My neighbors seem perfectly happy with me. It's the family with the chihuahua that they leave outside and barks all day long that is upsetting everyone.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:37 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,684,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Honestly, if your dogs are all older and spend their time inside, no one would really care. My friend has 8 dogs in her house in an area that's zoned for 3, and they're all active and rambunctious animals. The neighbors don't care at all because they don't run loose and they aren't allowed to be outside and bark. As long as you're a good neighbor in every other way, the neighborhood will be grateful to have you.

I've got 5 medium-sized dogs in my house right now (zoned for 3, but of our "overflow" dogs, one is 16 years old and another is a service dog and so doesn't really count). My neighbors seem perfectly happy with me. It's the family with the chihuahua that they leave outside and barks all day long that is upsetting everyone.
You are lucky not to have busybody neighbors.

Dealing with animal control in these situations is not fun when a dispute arises plus you run the risk of a nice neighbor selling their home to someone who doesn't care to live next to people in violation.

Many dogs end up in shelters because of such situations being reported.

MANY MANY people will report this even if the animals are not causing problems.

You are very lucky.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,625,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
Hi..anyone from either the Eden NC or Bassett Va area? We are looking to relocate in the general area. I'm finding some limits of the number of dogs allowed. We currently have 9 dogs (foster and our own) who would go with us. Mostly special need seniors (blind, deaf. lame) who are indoor dogs. The chances of any getting adopted a slim but I'm not going to euthanize for a move.There seems to be a limit of 6. I'm looking for an area that is semi rural that doesn't have a limit. Any suggestions?
You seem to have found your perfect spot. Unless moving is absolutely necessary why not stay where you are? I may catch heat for this but I'll say it anyway. People's attitudes towards animals in the South isn't the same as the rest of the country. Roads in parts of the South are littered with dead dogs. So many people there just don't care. I love animals just as you do. I am only willing to live where both the laws and the culture work for their good treatment.

Before you make that move investigate the area. Talk to vets and people at humane societies and rescue groups.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:05 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,385,555 times
I'm in rural Floyd Co, VA and we have no restrictions here other than a leash law in the town of Floyd but the rest of the county dogs can be loose and I would guess that most rural areas will not have any. Many people here have lots and lots of hunting dogs (20-30) so you should not have a problem.

I've had as many a 6 big seniors of my own plus 4 adult foster dogs plus a litter of 10 puppies plus 6 that I was overnighting for a transport. Other than the fact that caring even briefly for 26 dogs is a lot of work for one person there was never any problem from animal control so long as they were on my own property. The 4 adult fosters and the 6 overnighters were housed in runs outdoors and could be vocal at times.

Unless you will be in a small house on a small city type lot I can't imagine you would have any hassle.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,170,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You seem to have found your perfect spot. Unless moving is absolutely necessary why not stay where you are? I may catch heat for this but I'll say it anyway. People's attitudes towards animals in the South isn't the same as the rest of the country. Roads in parts of the South are littered with dead dogs. So many people there just don't care. I love animals just as you do. I am only willing to live where both the laws and the culture work for their good treatment.

Before you make that move investigate the area. Talk to vets and people at humane societies and rescue groups.
Generalizations are so bigoted. Ignorant and cruel people live all over the country, world. The mid country states are the worst as far as puppy mills but I would never say "people there just don't care".

The rescue organizations and animal lovers all over the South are working hard to pass leash laws, establish dog parks, prohibit tie outs for dogs and to promote spay and neuter programs. We also are working to have tighter licensing for breeders and to discourage back yard breeders and discourage dogs being purchased in pet shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs