Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:51 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times

Advertisements

I am down to four seniors, ages about 12-15. I sometimes say "3.25" since the oldest is a Pomeranian and is more like a gerbil in size and care (although he has a huge personality). I had to put down three seniors this year, which is a lot for me- 16, 14? and older-than-dirt. They were all my bigger dogs. I have been thinking of downsizing my retirement home for old mutts, that is, having fewer dogs. However.

On vacation, I visited the wonderful animal shelter I support in a vacation town- Ridgway, Colorado. They have relocated to a failed bed-and-breakfast property that is just beautiful and well-suited for animals, plus will be getting more and more well-suited as they continue to convert (barn, etc.).

They have a well-off guy in a rich town nearby who is a private pilot who has offered to fly critters wherever they need to go (apparently including cross-country!). I was originally hoping to take an eight-year-old cattle dog with a failed front leg, but he happily got a great home in the local area. Now I'm considering a young dog- four years old. An Aussie who was born deaf and taken home by a girl who then proceeded not to take care of him. He was left by himself in the yard most of the time and "got neurotic," that is, chasing his own shadow obsessively. He is very sweet, loves attention and people and gets along well with other dogs. The girl's parents took him to a shelter when they got sick of her inattention (and his weirdness) and then he got transferred to this shelter to keep him away from the girl, who was not the legal owner but who kept trying to get him back.

I am waiting to see if they can place him locally. I'd like a younger dog for a change, and one who likes attention, as several of my adoptions have been seniors who prefer to be left alone or are very shy or just plain weird (See Under: Eloise). I had thought "younger than ten years old" but I do have a big fenced yard and am told this dog does like to chase toys, etc., although he mostly wants to be around his person.

The guy who flies the private plane won't be in town for a couple of weeks, so I'll know more then. You can see him at Second Chance Humane Society. He's been named "Sawyer," but for once I think I'd change the name, since he can't hear it anyway, and "Sawyer" doesn't fit. I was thinking of "Corey" or "Rico," both of which have specific positive associations for me with Colorado and gentle handling.

Thanks for reading. Shelter mutts are the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
He's beautiful!

Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,482,147 times
You rock!

Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,065,257 times
He's very cute. I used to live down in that area years ago, Ridgeway is one of my favorite places.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:20 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
Having adopted sweet Phoenix at age 2 who not only was born deaf but had limited vision and then watching her learn how to be a dog by watching my dogs was a great experience and she could not have been a better dog as she was so sweet and goofy. She was very shy at first so sat at the humane society for months as she did not show well hiding from people.It was the fact that she came right up to me like we were old friends that made everyone there convinced I should adopt her I have never regretted my decision even when I moved her to my parents because Jazz would not stop picking on her. After my moms death followed by their other dog Henry's death she was the reason my dad got up each morning and her loyalty to him showed at the end of his life. She then returned to me to live out her life and when the time came saying goodbye to such a special dog was difficult but I am so glad that God saw me fit to have such a special dog in my life. She was a precious gift!

He is beautiful . I say go for it as I bet he too will be a wonderful dog. If you have never checked out Amazing Aussies check them out as they can tell you how wonderful all the deaf Aussies they help out and find homes for are. They were under a different name back when I was considering Phoenix but I contacted one of the people as I had questions about owning a deaf dog and she answered them and let me know that deaf dogs do make fantastic pets. And she and I have remained friends all these years. I do hope you take him as I think he will make you very happy!

Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
Go For It!

Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
Thanks for the suggestions. My seniors are often deaf, but will turn my way if I clap my hands or something. I don't think I've had a totally deaf dog, but if Sawyer/Rico/Corey/? comes my way, I'll surely use people's resources and suggestions.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:38 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,026,597 times
He's a great dog!! Get him. I'll take "Waggin" - too cute!

Old 06-20-2013, 02:55 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
My only reservations are that Aussies are very high energy and older dogs generally are not. My Catahoula will get very rambunctious with my 16-year-old border collie, but because he can hear, when I tell him to stop, he can (and does) comply immediately. In particular, I would worry about the elderly Pom getting trampled.

I'm sorry to be the one on this thread with a negative view! My other concern is also that should the placement not work out, you might have a hard time returning this guy.

Have you had a chance to see how aware he is of other dogs' physical limitations?

Old 06-20-2013, 03:46 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
I have added puppies not just young dogs but that "P" word to my home with elderly dogs that also sometimes have had a terminal illness despite everyone telling me Wait until the other dogs is gone as puppies are too hard on the older dog. I have never had a problem and have enjoyed how the older dogs have taught the kids the rules even the Do not play rough with me rule. I think my pups have grown up with good manners from that as they do not bug the old ones at the dog park like some dogs do. Yes you do have to be careful and sometimes you have issues with a young dog being too rough but it also can seem to help the old dog. Elderly Dash battling his cancer LOVED babysitting a young Dazzle and in those first weeks when Daz would cry because he missed his family Dash would rush over to comfort him and when I gated Daz into the dining room when I went to work to give Dash and the even older Jazz a break and to prevent Daz from getting into things every time I got home in the morning Dash would be on the other side with him .

My first dog 14 yr old Maddie an english cocker with heart disease and Lymphoma dealt with the beast of non stop energy puppy Jazz and it seemed to give her a reason to keep going as she had a rowdy pup to get under control before she could leave me with it and yes Jazz played rough but that old girl let her know it and when I thought she needed a break I separated them and let her have a quiet rest. The day that she decided was the day she could leave me I almost felt like she knew I would be OK that the beast was broken in well enough and would love me.

And good gentle sweet deaf, vision limited Phoenix was very patient with Chaos. When the 3 dogs would go to the beach or dog park and young Dazzle and puppy Chaos would race around playing Phoenix stayed close by to watch that pup. I have so many photos of her looking a bit concerned when a strange dog was checking out the pup. Phoenix would play with the other two but both of the youngsters seemed to respect her and play was much more easy with her.

So while yes that should be a concern I think it can also be a great experience for all. There tends to be something very special about ones born deaf and Phoenix even with her limited vision tended to keep her better eye on me so checked in with me often and knew exaggerated hand signals so did come when called.Most people did not have a clue she was deaf ! When I got her my vet asked why would you get a deaf dog as they tend to be biters well he ate those words as we talked when He put her down many years later and he told me she was the sweetest gentlest dog he had ever met. I know many of them at amazing aussies are a lot like her in that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs