Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,147,247 times

Advertisements

I picked up Lucy the Bichon from a rescuer on the second day after she was turned in by her owners due to a divorce. I cheerfully paid $100 adoption fee because I saw how this woman dedicated her life (and her home) to the care of these dogs. While Lucy was quick to be adopted and didn't cost her much at all, there were other not so cute dogs there who needed medical services and who probably would never be adopted.

When we went to Anderson Rescue in S.C. we paid $250 for Toby the Maltese who had been turned in only 2 weeks prior to my finding him online. Again i did not resist that fee because this rescue was clean, friendly, accommodating and packed with cats and dogs who needed homes. if my fee helped some of those other animals I was happy to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 07:41 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,689,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
These are my choices at the moment,1 year old house trained Bichon Poo from local shelter/$250, breeder's 3 year old kennel raised retired AKC Labradore Retriver Dam/$500, 8 week old AKC Goldendoodle puppy/$2,000 from a local breeder. Which one would you eliminate and which one would be your ideal choice?
Why would you pay good money for a mixed breed mutt?

Good God!

P.S. There's no such thing as an AKC Goldendoodle. You're being had.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:01 PM

768 posts, read 861,769 times
We have a 10 year old Labradoodle in our family...he is one of the best dogs anyone could own. Friendly, but not too friendly. Accompanied my daughter and son in law in their training runs for the Chicago Marathon and kept up with both of them. A good guard dog...no meter readers in his yard. A super dog and I paid $1000 for him 10 years ago to give to my grandson who was 5 at the time. No possible regrets. My friend has a bichon which she loves to death and likes the fact he does not shed. He is her "rock"....go for the one who has won your heart...pure and simple.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:04 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,483,090 times
I'm just laughing thinking of our forefathers seeing your post..."Bichon Poo, Labradoodle, Goldendoodle..."

Ok, forget our forefathers, those names make ME crack up and, on a more somber note, make me wonder what the heck are we humans doing?

Old 09-13-2013, 09:58 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,337,621 times
IF you Love Poodles so much WHY dont you just buy one They come in ALL sizes to Fit All Life Styles You can go Rescue or Breeder! Many need homes for different reasons ALL are Smart Active guys! None Shed! And they will need just as much gooming as the Mutts! Win-Win

Old 09-14-2013, 12:17 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,498,424 times
I was going to say the puppy until I saw the price, that is ridiculous! It is a mutt, $2,000? I'd meet the dogs first and see which one seems to fit best in your family. It is too hard to make a decision like that just by posting the price and type of dog.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:46 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,918,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
If we forget the money/breeder/shelter issue and focus on breed and age then what would be a better choice?
We don't know you. The best way to pick a dog is to determine which one fits YOUR energy and lifestyle. And the amount of work you are cheerfully willing to commit for a decade at least. There are thousands of homeless deserving dogs out there - and one who will be a good match for EVERY person if their intentions are sincere, informed, and true.

If you don't "like exercise" then don't get a high energy dog. PERIOD. Don't think you're going to "let him out" in a yard and have a balanced peaceful house.

If you don't "like grooming" make sure you are willing to cheerfully do the combing and vacuuming (Lab) or pay a groomer to keep the dog from getting matted (Bichon).

If you are a soft energy and don't know how to assert what you want from a dog, (or a HUMAN)...then don't pick a high energy, headstrong, powerful Boxer who's going to push you around because you are clueless about how to communicate with him about rules, boundaries and limitations.

If you have no idea how to housetrain a dog and get easily frustrated by "accidents" think twice about getting ANY dog. And rip up your carpet and put tile down. Then spend a considerable amount of time researching - long conversations with the foster or current owner and GOING THERE WATCHING the dog actually going outside on it's own. And even THEN, when the dog gets to your home they may regress and need re-training.

Be aware that any dog may come with "issues" and be willing to work to help them with those issues. Dogs don't understand how many people think they exist for human "entertainment" they just act how they act and need guidance to co-exist with humans. Leadership.

All dogs are fundamentally the SAME. That's one level. Then, going deeper you can make some assumptions after that about the breed characteristics. THEN you go one level deeper still and see the dog as an individual that fine tunes their ways even more.

I've seen exceptions to every stereotype. Like small dogs who are steady, never bark and act like German Shepherds. Or conversely, sometimes when it's not cute. Even a cute 2 lb. Yorkie can make you think you're living with a LAB haha.

Like a Bichon who was kept in a puppy mill breeding cage for 6 years who was afraid of LIFE and never wanted to leave her cage.

Or a Lab from a "breeder" used for breeding then given up who contrary to type, was NOT high energy but a BRICK who was a real challenge who stubbornly either refused to walk outside or headstrong PULL you for no apparent reason in a particular direction like a farm pig you really needed to WORK to get her to do what you wanted.

OK, I take that back, I've never seen an exception in any Doodle. When young (under 7 haha) they ALL NEED EXERCISE, enrichment and leadership. Or watch everything you own get chewed and the dog asking you to play every hour of the day. I agree with the poster who said friendly but not too friendly when they get OLDER... IF they are exercised properly, live on a good reliable schedule growing up.

Like chosing life partners you don't always get the dog you think you want, you get the dog who's going to teach you a lesson or even feed your own neurosis so it's helpful to recognize and admit your OWN personal strengths and weaknesses so you don't frustrate yourself by picking the wrong energy. Kind of like picking a boyfriend who is the most popular ladies man, then complaining when he flirts and cheats on you.

One thing is universally true about humans - they frequently disregard ALL types of "advise" and end up making up their own "logic" justifying choices....especially with dogs for some reason, so there's that, too.

What BREED are YOU?

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-14-2013 at 06:01 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 06:13 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,224,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
I'm just laughing thinking of our forefathers seeing your post..."Bichon Poo, Labradoodle, Goldendoodle..."

Ok, forget our forefathers, those names make ME crack up and, on a more somber note, make me wonder what the heck are we humans doing?
It's all in the name. Who will pay 2k for a Poodle and Golden Retriever mix from the pound...no one...they adopt them out for 50 bucks! But call the exact same mutt a silly name and the village idiots line up all day throwing 100 bills at you.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:33 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,365,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
We don't know you. The best way to pick a dog is to determine which one fits YOUR energy and lifestyle. And the amount of work you are cheerfully willing to commit for a decade at least. There are thousands of homeless deserving dogs out there - and one who will be a good match for EVERY person if their intentions are sincere, informed, and true.

If you don't "like exercise" then don't get a high energy dog. PERIOD. Don't think you're going to "let him out" in a yard and have a balanced peaceful house.

If you don't "like grooming" make sure you are willing to cheerfully do the combing and vacuuming (Lab) or pay a groomer to keep the dog from getting matted (Bichon).

If you are a soft energy and don't know how to assert what you want from a dog, (or a HUMAN)...then don't pick a high energy, headstrong, powerful Boxer who's going to push you around because you are clueless about how to communicate with him about rules, boundaries and limitations.

If you have no idea how to housetrain a dog and get easily frustrated by "accidents" think twice about getting ANY dog. And rip up your carpet and put tile down. Then spend a considerable amount of time researching - long conversations with the foster or current owner and GOING THERE WATCHING the dog actually going outside on it's own. And even THEN, when the dog gets to your home they may regress and need re-training.

Be aware that any dog may come with "issues" and be willing to work to help them with those issues. Dogs don't understand how many people think they exist for human "entertainment" they just act how they act and need guidance to co-exist with humans. Leadership.

All dogs are fundamentally the SAME. That's one level. Then, going deeper you can make some assumptions after that about the breed characteristics. THEN you go one level deeper still and see the dog as an individual that fine tunes their ways even more.

I've seen exceptions to every stereotype. Like small dogs who are steady, never bark and act like German Shepherds. Or conversely, sometimes when it's not cute. Even a cute 2 lb. Yorkie can make you think you're living with a LAB haha.

Like a Bichon who was kept in a puppy mill breeding cage for 6 years who was afraid of LIFE and never wanted to leave her cage.

Or a Lab from a "breeder" used for breeding then given up who contrary to type, was NOT high energy but a BRICK who was a real challenge who stubbornly either refused to walk outside or headstrong PULL you for no apparent reason in a particular direction like a farm pig you really needed to WORK to get her to do what you wanted.

OK, I take that back, I've never seen an exception in any Doodle. When young (under 7 haha) they ALL NEED EXERCISE, enrichment and leadership. Or watch everything you own get chewed and the dog asking you to play every hour of the day. I agree with the poster who said friendly but not too friendly when they get OLDER... IF they are exercised properly, live on a good reliable schedule growing up.

Like chosing life partners you don't always get the dog you think you want, you get the dog who's going to teach you a lesson or even feed your own neurosis so it's helpful to recognize and admit your OWN personal strengths and weaknesses so you don't frustrate yourself by picking the wrong energy. Kind of like picking a boyfriend who is the most popular ladies man, then complaining when he flirts and cheats on you.

One thing is universally true about humans - they frequently disregard ALL types of "advise" and end up making up their own "logic" justifying choices....especially with dogs for some reason, so there's that, too.

What BREED are YOU?

Bravo -- this entire post bears repeating!

Old 09-14-2013, 09:04 AM

107 posts, read 340,155 times
I don't understand some of the bias you guys have against this designer mutts. Adoption is good yes, but where do you think these designer dogs go when nobody buys them??? Treat them the same.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs