Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 PM

513 posts, read 800,962 times

Advertisements

What breeds of dogs would you consider to be the cutest, best looking, etc. ?
My top 5 would be:
1.) Saint Bernard
2.) German Shepherd Dog (especially long haired, and white ones)
3.) Newfoundland
4.) Bernese Mountian Dog
5.) Great Dane

The most overrated dogs (IMHO):
1.) Any doodle (golden doodle, labradoodle, etc)
2.) Lab
3.) chihuahua
4.) Beagles
5.) Wire Fox Terrier

I may offend some people, but its just an opinion. I don't understand how terriers always win dog shows when there are so many other beautiful and intelligent dogs out there.

What are your thoughts? Top dogs, overrated ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 12:47 PM

32,694 posts, read 48,250,531 times
In a dog show, the dogs are not compared to the other dogs. They are compared to their own breed standard. The dog who comes closest to his own standard is the one that wins the show.

I don't think any dog is ugly, although the Neapolitan Mastiff is trying really hard.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:01 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,627,767 times
Dachshunds are clearly the cutest I love them, so I am biased. I like the look of Dobermans too (without the ear cropping as well).

I don't really think any dogs are ugly. Adult labs don't strike me as adorable but they aren't ugly either.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:06 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,755,424 times
The reason Terrier breeds win so many Best in Show awards is that they have a tremendous attitude. They are full of it and always willing to show off. For wire-haired Fox Terriers is perfectly normal to approach a Great Dane and tell the huge dog in no uncertain terms what they think of him. It might be dumb behavior, but it shows well, and the judges often reward it.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:07 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,892,194 times
cutest, Chinese crested...ugliest...Chinese crested LOL...a well bred crestie whos been properly cared for is a stunning elegant dog...one whos been neglected, badly bred, its skin left dirty and its teeth falling out is one of those mother could love" faces...
BUT they ALL have a heart and soul that makes it impossible not to love them...
that's why I have 2 snuggled in my bed right now

Old 05-02-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Dachshunds are clearly the cutest I love them, so I am biased. I like the look of Dobermans too (without the ear cropping as well).

I don't really think any dogs are ugly. Adult labs don't strike me as adorable but they aren't ugly either.
Labs aren't ugly, per say, they just remind me of a "plain" dog. Like if there was any dog that was generic. They would be it.

Dachshunds I don't know how you do it. I got my Saint and there were two dachshunds next to her at the store. They were constantly barking, jumping in the air, then turning in mid air, landing, and repeat. Jump, flip, jump, flip, jump, flip. Lol Cheetah (my saint) is the biggest goofball and for the most part, happy to come up, sit on my feet and lay by my bed. There will be a five minute burst of energy, then plop. My daughter (3 years old) gets along with her awesome. They chase each other, then ten mins later are laying down next to each other. We got her at 11 weeks and she was 28 lbs, now she just hit 6 months and is 80. I'm about to take her to classes because when we walk her everyone always wants to come up and pet her. She is a ham and loves it, but she scares some people because of her size. But all she wants to do is kiss.

When we were leaving the vet the last time we ran into a dachshund. She is a big lanky goofball at the moment and scared the little guy. She wants to go up to every dog and human and just kiss, kiss, kiss. My daughter thought the dachshunds were cute but from what I have read wouldn't have fit our lifestyle. They seem good for adults, but not little kids.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:47 PM

120 posts, read 215,542 times
I love spaniels, shih tzu, chows, australian shepherds, and japanese chin. Parti colored and merle coats are especially adorable.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:55 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,699,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I don't think any dog is ugly, although the Neapolitan Mastiff is trying really hard.
No, no, no.

Big floppy, sloppy heads with immense flews and dewlaps are The Most Beautiful!

lol.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
No, no, no.

Big floppy, sloppy heads with immense flews and dewlaps are The Most Beautiful!

lol.
Haha I feel the same. We were choosing between the neo, English mastiff, and saint.

Saint won out, because she immediately recognized what to do with all of us. Came over and sat on my lap like a big baby, chased and played with my daughter, etc. I still think its funny when she shakes her head and her face goes flying all over the place. Or she lops up water and looks over and has tons of slobber dripping. I find it endearing, many wouldn't but I do.

My daughter wanted one thing for Christmas, she asked santa for a "big, fluffy, mushy face doggy".

Old 05-03-2014, 04:35 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,243,087 times
I think all breeds are cute. The only breeds I have an aversion to are the Chihuahuas and Papillons because they are so hyper and I never seem to be able to connect with them.

I think poodles with the teddy bear hair cut are the cutest, and the most practical (no allergies, calm yet playful temperament and stranger/dog friendly).

However, the cutest faced dogs are the Bichons (not the big blowout frizz hair, but normal teddy bear hair), I would never get one because of the high maintenance coat though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs