Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:21 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,030,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
yea. me too.

hopefully all this advice/info will help someone.
Agree. However, I do say the OP closed the OP with "Im tired." Which might say it all, you know?

I have to admire that the OP recognizes that the dog needs activity and exercise. I've often been in a life-situation where that was just not possible. As a result, I have often been only a cat-owner, and no dogs. On the other hand, I've also rescued my share of dogs - I remember a Dobe named Jet. He eventually homed w/ a sister and bro-in-law who had some property (I was a renter at the time). I didn't get him FROM a rescue - he was in a bad situation with a guy I knew thru friends - and he was getting beaten regularly. Not good - I told the guy he was no good for the dog and I'd take him. Convinced him to do it, too.

Another dog we found. Came by my house one day - had some wounds in his side. Shy, and a bit afraid. A couple of days of food, and he was much better - lab mix this one was. The wounds were likely from a pellet gun. Not particularly serious if tended. I homed him with a friend in the country who had a few acres of land.

But the big point I SHOULD be making, instead of rambling, is that REGULAR exercise is VERY important to the dog physically and mentally. And, I think, for many dogs, that is more than just a walk on leash for 15 or 20 minutes. My two current dogs get 30-60 minutes of running and off-leash smelling at least 5 days a week. I'm lucky to have that capacity, but it makes them much more amenable to working with me.

Which all goes into why I think the OP is a GREAT person for recognizing that the dog NEEDS exercise and companionship. Playing vid games is not either of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 07:46 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,656,612 times
In the mean time, take the dog to the dog park and let the other dogs wear it out while you sit in the shade and gossip.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:41 PM

807 posts, read 1,359,189 times
Call a Doberman rescue. They are a smart, athletic breed and need a lot of mental and physical stimulation. Trust me, I own one.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:07 AM

29,003 posts, read 30,442,696 times
I hate it when people start threads asking for advice, and then do not come back and let us know what they did, or how they are doing?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:27 AM

836 posts, read 3,393,844 times
Me too Cremebrulee... I am wondering whats going on does she still have the dog, did she dump on the side of the street, or did she give it to someone..???

Old 10-21-2014, 10:29 AM

29,003 posts, read 30,442,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Me too Cremebrulee... I am wondering whats going on does she still have the dog, did she dump on the side of the street, or did she give it to someone..???
really makes you wonder....?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:49 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,489,472 times
Probably a troll who wanted to start a controversy and see what happens.
She probably expected it to be a touchy subject among animal lovers.
Lets move on.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:42 PM

836 posts, read 3,393,844 times
yup probably so!

Old 10-21-2014, 03:19 PM

185 posts, read 247,078 times
Talk wilh him once & that in the next few weeks improvement isn't accomplished him feeding am u pm etc poop pick, training etc.,whatever the understanding. If he doesn't stick to it , he looses his doggie privileges. It's not fair to the dog & only makes u resentful causes a rift in UR relationship. It's like having a child. Do u mind if I ask if u have any kids?

That's why u mention the dog is going to a Doberman rescue association to find a better caretaker. Just look online for one near you..Since he is acting like a child then he will be treated like a child, his puppy privileges can be recvoked.

We had no dogs for several years for the very same reason u have stated. They are messy, let's face it ,Inside and out. It takes a lot of work. I didn't mind so much when I was younger. We had over 10 dogs, sometimes many at once. Guess who did all the training the kids and me. Kids are gone now. Dog training thru 4-H .. Or ask UR vet dr training references.

We just adopted a dog 2 yrs old mostly trained already no potty accidents at all. Puppies are a lot of work, and a constant work in progress. Our dog learns fast once a routine has been established.

We have this new dog and he is taking part and doing his share. He helps with everything. I don't even need to Nagggg...LOL, We have had no pets in three years... Our new dog we found at a rescue center. She was very shy and after 3 weeks she's coming out of it and as spoiled as the rest of them were. Things are working out well and we both luv and spoil our new 4 legged little angel. She is so calming, not overly demanding and a easy keeper. Maybe that may be a better choice for the both of you. A dog that is not so constantly demanding. Calmer and is a better Match for both of you.

Good Luck...let us know how it works out...

Old 10-23-2014, 11:20 AM

234 posts, read 329,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azile View Post
It's no fair to you or your dog that you resent him and your husband. It honestly does not sound like you don't care for your dog. You've been playing with him and giving him the attention he needs. If you didn't care, you wouldn't be doing what you do to keep the dog happy. Notice I said your dog? He IS your dog...NOT your husband's dog. He may have asked for one, but if he really wanted a dog, he'd take care of it. He sees you as his mother, not his wife. He wants stuff, you take care of it. Does he make messes in the house and expect you to clean it up? Taking care of "his" dog is no different.

You have more of a commitment to your husband, so to be fair to the dog and your marriage, rehome the dog. The dog deserves a family where everyone in the family wants him there. Let your husband know that you plan on doing this unless he starts to share in the responsibilities of taking care of the dog. He can't just play with the dog either. He has to walk and feed the dog too. Not all the time, but about 50% of the responsibilities need to be take care of. You'll feed, play, and walk the dog as much as he does. It would be a great thing for both of you to do. Playing video games can wait. If you two had children of your own, the same expectations would be made of him to take part in his child's life. A dog is no different...just hairier.
I want to get rid of the dog but at the same time I can't. It's like getting rid of a family member. I mean the dog consider us family I guess since he follows me everywhere. It's just annoying because I didn't want a dog that will ask for attention 24/7. I used to have 3 cats who were not even bothering me as much as this one dog. My cats would always find something to do when I'm busy. This dog is super hyper. He also shed so much. Every time I clean the floor, in just one hour you walk and his fur is all over the floor. Brushing doesn't even help. And he is very clumsy like sometimes he scratches me or hit with his bonny leg or something.
My husband gets pissed when dog doesn't listen, he doesn't have enough patience, neither do I. I don't know if I should give the dog away or deal with it next 10-15 years. Getting rid of him might make me feel guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs