Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:57 PM

26,044 posts, read 22,236,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
At the same time I can't get rid of the dog because it's not my decision to make. It's his dog. As someone mentioned Im not his mother... to tell him what to do and how to take care of his dog.
News flash, the dog belongs to both you but you are the care provider. You are both selfish in that the dog needs are not being met because you are having a peeing contest about who should be caring for the dog. I am guessing a lot of the problems being exhibited by the dog are due to the circumstances that he is living under with the stress being created by the two humans in the household. You don't want to mother your husband? Someone needs to! This is really sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 07:16 PM

2,525 posts, read 2,085,379 times
[quote=juliatenn;36989384]Protection from what? We got the dog thinking he'd be a guard dog (like protection), now I think why do we need a protection? Seriously, the dog is aggressive toward people who are just walking by. He is heavy and its getting hard to hold him when he tries to run and attack a dog or a neighbor.
But thanks for the comment![/quote

Protection from the outside world! And it takes both hands sometimes just to hold her back at times.
That wears me out. That only happens at the dog park. So we don't go to the dog park anymore, for now.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:58 PM

807 posts, read 1,356,400 times
Jesus Christ. Stop being irresponsible and get something done. What exactly did you want from us if you're not going to take our advice? Stop wasting our time and wasting this poor dog's life.

This dog can sense the negativity you have toward it. Trust me. Tell me where you live and I'll provide the closest Doberman rescue's number.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:15 PM

185 posts, read 246,411 times
No Kudzu,
I agree with UR last response. Yes it is Very sad. We have offered up everything possible to help her see the light . The yes/no .. Can / can't ...Push/ pull just make up her mind already. If she wanted to keep the dog train it and do the right thing she would have followed up on someone's advice long ago. As animal lovers this has been a very difficult thread for a lot of us. Everyone has given their very best advice to her.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:00 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,936,783 times
Quote:
My husband wanted a dog so bad and got one (doberman), he is 6 months old. All these 4 months that we have the dog I am the one who have to do everything! I walk and play with him every day, he has much higher energy level than I do, Im tired of running/walking with him, playing fetch (he destroyes all the tennis balls or lose it), he destroyed a few pairs of my shoes (but i let it go already). He also shed like crazy! Every time he gets back from outside he brings dirt on his paws so the house needs to be cleaned a few times a day or the floor gets disgusting. I feel sorry for the dog because he annoys me and deserves a better owner than me. My husband doesn't care, he never goes to walk with the dog and just plays video games, saying its fine the dog is fine. I don't understand why do I have to take care of the dog if I didnt even want to have one in the first place! He needs serious training because he is horrible on the leash, needs all kind of training and I have no patience. I say lets find this dog a better home, and my husband says the dog is fine. Im seriously tired.
This rant has nothing to do with the DOG forum; it belongs on the Relationships or Psychology forum.

Quote:
I didn't want a dog that will ask for attention 24/7.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 10-24-2014, 07:55 AM

234 posts, read 328,536 times
Well, thank you all for the advice.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:51 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,117,179 times
Your husband liked the idea of a dog but doesn't realize dogs are work and you went along probably not realizing with some dogs say goodbye to having nice stuff or a nice home. I have a bulldog who I love to death but he slobbers all over everything, sheds like crazy, etc. He has ruined countless shoes and clothes not even because he's not well trained but just thats the nature of having a dog like him his hair gets in and on everything as does his slobber. I just deal with it cuz he's my dog I love him and I made a commitment when I got him so I'm not gonna buy a nice couch or anything for as long as I have him.

For you, honestly I would shame your husband/bf. Striaght up tell him he's a lazy deadbeat, hes being unfair to the dog and unfair to you. He either needs to step up or you guys need to get rid of the dog.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:45 AM

836 posts, read 3,388,395 times
Quote:
I want to get rid of the dog but at the same time I can't. It's like getting rid of a family member. I mean the dog consider us family I guess since he follows me everywhere. It's just annoying because I didn't want a dog that will ask for attention 24/7. I used to have 3 cats who were not even bothering me as much as this one dog. My cats would always find something to do when I'm busy. This dog is super hyper. He also shed so much. Every time I clean the floor, in just one hour you walk and his fur is all over the floor. Brushing doesn't even help. And he is very clumsy like sometimes he scratches me or hit with his bonny leg or something.
My husband gets pissed when dog doesn't listen, he doesn't have enough patience, neither do I. I don't know if I should give the dog away or deal with it next 10-15 years. Getting rid of him might make me feel guilty.

"It's like getting rid of a family member." Then why are you even posting about this.. it sounds like you need help in your Relationship, rather than needing help on making a decision in getting rid of the dog.
And your just saying its the dog cause you don't want to admit you have an *** of a hubby! I don't think the dog bothers you as much as you say it does or else you would have taken it upon yourself long ago and gotten rid of it.
You want my advise I would lay the ground rules down with this hubby and if he doesn't agree to them then its time for counseling or a divorce!
Also dogs and cats shed, dogs follow you because they love you and want attention, dogs/puppies are hyper and sometimes clumsy that's just a dog, and cleaning up after them is something you have to deal with when you have animals! Having an animal is like having kids..They can be messy! I suggest you stop complaining about the dog and get help where its really needed WITH your Hubby! Dogs cant tell you how they feel bout things.. if you really don't want the dog then call a rescue and give it to them NOT a shelter! Plenty of people on here have given you advise and where to take the dog. Do it now before you get much more attached. And never feel guilty about giving it to someone who has time for it and is willing to love and take care of it!! And then fix your relationship with your so called poor excuse of a man!....Sorry If I offended you but that is what I see when I read your post.

Last edited by wolfeyes; 10-26-2014 at 08:59 AM..

Old 10-26-2014, 02:20 PM

5,797 posts, read 5,128,334 times
Juliatenn...

I just read your Original Post, and I have to say that you have a far bigger problem than a doberman puppy, though the pup is an important concern. Go ahead and find the pup a real and welcoming home that will love him and keep up with him. It is not you, and you do not deserve to be tortured because you never wanted this dog.

Next, you need to find another husband, frankly. From this little snippet of life around a dog, you can tell a whole lot about a person. He is either a perfect person in every other way but the responsibility department (not likely), or you will have a lifetime of exhaustion and basically babysitting an overgrown man-baby. Making a baby with him would be a disaster for you and your child. Think thrice and reconsider your life choices.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:42 PM

757 posts, read 1,331,305 times
Quote:
I want to get rid of the dog but at the same time I can't. It's like getting rid of a family member. I mean the dog consider us family I guess since he follows me everywhere. It's just annoying because I didn't want a dog that will ask for attention 24/7. I used to have 3 cats who were not even bothering me as much as this one dog. My cats would always find something to do when I'm busy. This dog is super hyper. He also shed so much. Every time I clean the floor, in just one hour you walk and his fur is all over the floor. Brushing doesn't even help. And he is very clumsy like sometimes he scratches me or hit with his bonny leg or something.
My husband gets pissed when dog doesn't listen, he doesn't have enough patience, neither do I. I don't know if I should give the dog away or deal with it next 10-15 years. Getting rid of him might make me feel guilty.
You might feel guilty for getting rid of him???? How can you feel guilty for doing what is the best for the dog? Sometimes, looking in the mirror and admitting the truth is the most difficult thing to do.

If you and your husband are not both 100% ready for the commitment and responsibility that comes with loving, TRAINING, caring for a dog for 10 or more years, then find a home where the dog will get the things it needs and deserves.

Sure, the dog follows you around, but it will follow around the next person who feeds it and provides the basic needs to life. Is that all your dog deserves? Basic needs?

If you really feel the dog is a burden and you dont want to care for it, REHOME it. If you are going to keep it, start the training, (you mentioned aggression on the leash)

You will sure feel guilty that you kept him if something happens to him from lack of socialization, training. Or worse, if something happens to somebody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs