Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:28 AM

234 posts, read 329,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
I have a 5yr old Doberman. And boy is she a handful. I just came back from playing w/her for a few minutes...she never gets tired!! lol And I'm no spring chicken anymore either.
I got her from the dobie rescue. She's very needy. She always wants to be petted. She follows me everywhere. And she's big and powerful. Having said all this-- I wouldn't trade her for the world. At times, yes, I have thought abt it.

But she depends on me to love and take care of, and I depend on her to protect me!
She's just now understanding what she's supposed to do w/the tennis ball. I was the one chasing it there for awhile. lol
It's too bad your husband is such a lazy ass. That dog could save his life one day, as it is, he'll only be saving yours!!

Do what you feel is best. But it takes time. I got my dobie from a rescue, also. Good luck. You're a good woman!
Protection from what? We got the dog thinking he'd be a guard dog (like protection), now I think why do we need a protection? Seriously, the dog is aggressive toward people who are just walking by. He is heavy and its getting hard to hold him when he tries to run and attack a dog or a neighbor.
But thanks for the comment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 11:30 AM

185 posts, read 246,956 times
Hi,

It sounds like UR in a damed if ya do and damed if ya don't quandary . Normal under he circumstances. It mabe that u want to so everything u can to help this dog, change the bad habits. It's is certainly very possible to change most any dogs behavior. Treats and praise when he sits and stays. That's where u could start. If possible some of the nix box stores have traing sessions at various stages with certified trainers, UR vet can give u a reference and 4-H is a group dedicated to training dogs in obedience, show and agility.

Once UR have tried everything u can the dog may be the best dog and this takes a few minutes 3-4 times a day by the end of the wee UR dog will sit..another week stays... Etc!

Once u have done everything u can and the dog behavior after six to seven months has not improved then u have put the time in as any good dog owner could and then u can make UR decision.

it take time and commitment.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:31 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,985,829 times
For heaven's sake, you said the dog was annoying and you have no patience. Your husband ignores it. And you feel GUILTY for finding the poor dog a better home where its presence can be loved and enjoyed???? You should feel guilty keeping a dog when neither of you want it. I can just imagine the signals that poor dog is getting from both of you. The dog is still a puppy - rehome now while he still has a good chance of being adopted and suitably trained and socialized.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:37 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,139,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
I want to get rid of the dog but at the same time I can't. It's like getting rid of a family member. I mean the dog consider us family I guess since he follows me everywhere. It's just annoying because I didn't want a dog that will ask for attention 24/7. I used to have 3 cats who were not even bothering me as much as this one dog. My cats would always find something to do when I'm busy. This dog is super hyper. He also shed so much. Every time I clean the floor, in just one hour you walk and his fur is all over the floor. Brushing doesn't even help. And he is very clumsy like sometimes he scratches me or hit with his bonny leg or something.
My husband gets pissed when dog doesn't listen, he doesn't have enough patience, neither do I. I don't know if I should give the dog away or deal with it next 10-15 years. Getting rid of him might make me feel guilty.
It seems like you could be happy owning a dog, but this just isn't the breed for you. I have miniature dachshunds. They don't need a ton of exercise, they don't shed too much, and though one is needier than the other one they are happy to snooze on the couch when I do chores or whatever around the house. I LOVE dogs, but I would be exhausted and likely not happy with the kind of dog you describe. I just don't have the patience or the time. I know you feel guilty, but I really think it's best for you to re-home the dog. He deserves to be truly loved and wanted. Maybe the rescue could find a family with runners who would actually enjoy giving him all the exercise he needs and where there's more than one person to share the work involved in taking care of him.

Perhaps this is bad advice, but I would contact the rescue and make arrangements without telling your husband. If you've pleaded over and over that you're not happy and you need some help and he's made zero effort to relieve any of your burden, then in my opinion he's forfeited his say. What kind of person talks someone into getting a dog and then sits around and watches while the person who didn't want the dog does all the work? He sounds selfish, lazy, and completely unthoughtful.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:38 AM

Seriously time to take the dog on for som obedience training. Learning how ti train UR doag to sit stay wait simple thing will really make a difference. It's just time am and commitment.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:42 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,985,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistle4stop View Post
Hi,

It sounds like UR in a damed if ya do and damed if ya don't quandary . Normal under he circumstances. It mabe that u want to so everything u can to help this dog, change the bad habits. It's is certainly very possible to change most any dogs behavior. Treats and praise when he sits and stays. That's where u could start. If possible some of the nix box stores have traing sessions at various stages with certified trainers, UR vet can give u a reference and 4-H is a group dedicated to training dogs in obedience, show and agility.

Once UR have tried everything u can the dog may be the best dog and this takes a few minutes 3-4 times a day by the end of the wee UR dog will sit..another week stays... Etc!

Once u have done everything u can and the dog behavior after six to seven months has not improved then u have put the time in as any good dog owner could and then u can make UR decision.

it take time and commitment.
That's not going to take care of the problems of shedding, tracking dirt in the home, wanting attention, etc. The OP and her husband are not cut out for dog ownership and should do the right thing by the dog and contact a rescue.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:52 AM

234 posts, read 329,060 times
At the same time I can't get rid of the dog because it's not my decision to make. It's his dog. As someone mentioned Im not his mother... to tell him what to do and how to take care of his dog.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:02 PM

Ok I don't know what else to suggest to help u. If training the dog is not a answer for u then I am sorry. I have had many rescue dogs that come with so many bad and weird habits and I mean really weird. I ran my own business had children and stlll found time to help the dog. OTS not the dogs fault his daddy is lazy someone has to take over the reins and so the right thing.

Now of u want a real issue with an animal adopt a horse. It took me two years to undo all the bad habits these big intimidating horses had due to neglect. Had them for over 30 years and they were the best horses I could ever imagine so sweet and gentle. Same with my dogs. The thing is u never know what they have been thru before u get them....It's just finding that sweet spot taking the responsibility commitment and luv of knowing that this will change and it will ....

I see u have had so many responsive and creative ideas to help u. Pick one and stick with a decision.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:09 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,483,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
At the same time I can't get rid of the dog because it's not my decision to make. It's his dog. As someone mentioned Im not his mother... to tell him what to do and how to take care of his dog.
You say you can't tell him how to take care of his dog, because you're not his mother. But, you give his dog the care he's not giving it because, like an actual mother, you wind up picking up the pieces of what your irresponsible "kid" isn't doing. So, in a sense, you are being the mother here. Give your husband an ultimatum. Allow you to find a better home for the dog, or he needs to provide a better home himself.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,313,057 times
if OP knew she could not get rid of the dog and that her husband would not take responsibility for it she just came here to vent. Hope she feels better. In the meantime another neglected (no training) and unwanted animal will suffer from ignorant humans who have no business having a dog, especially a big dog like this. How incredibly sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs