Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 09:00 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,136,520 times

Advertisements

Aww ... I love my spazzy little Liva The Dog Aussie. I have a disabled son who bolts on me, she is fast and herds him back. I have both her & the kid outdoors every day, for about 3 hours a day & I need her in these mountains. Yes, she’s a weirdo, she’s a shadow, she tries to herd cats and even houseflies, lol but she’s good at it & keeps my son safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 10:30 PM

6,921 posts, read 4,935,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodempole View Post
It’s the same thing in my house & I HATE IT! I already have a disabled daughter to care for and housework galore! I am too old and too sore and tired to deal with our high energy, STRONG, spazzy Australian Shepherd! It needs too much care and attention that I don’t even have time to provide. The little time I had in between everything I do is GONE bc of this dog and speaking of gone, that’s where hubby is for 12 hrs a day! Working. So he’s too tired himself to bother with the dog too and ends up with him about 1/2 an hour an evening!
We mostly keep it crated bc I can’t be busy AND keep this dog out of trouble and I don’t have leisure time to just babysit it while it chews everything and runs all over.
I also own a small bichon frise. BEST doggie ever! Quiet, gentle, loving, well-behaved. That’s the diff between them. One is perfect the other is perfectly tiring and frustrating.
I’ve mentioned us getting rid of that dog. He makes comments about how much it cost! SO WHAT?! $2000 isn’t worth my happiness and sanity! Dog deserves younger, more energetic, people who have loads of time to dedicate to it.
I’ve got to find a way to convince him. :/
I don't know whether or not this was a joint decision with your husband to add this dog to your household, but didn't either of you do any research on how energy this breed of dog is? Why did you or your husband choose this breed? The poor thing is miserable and suffering spending so much time in a crate. It didn't ask to be adopted by people that can't take care of it properly.

As others have suggested, see if it can be re-homed. See if the breeder will take it back. Hopefully you bought from a reputable breeder, although they should have warned you and your husband about the amount of exercise it needs. I am skeptical about your breeder for not being more careful about who they sell their dogs to.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:18 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,371,109 times
People need to stop getting dogs because they are pretty, cute, fierce looking, etc. Ditto for buying the "dog of the year" (Frenchies come to mind). Research needs to be done before getting a purebred dog whose traits might not mesh with your lifestyle.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:05 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,615,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
People need to stop getting dogs because they are pretty, cute, fierce looking, etc. Ditto for buying the "dog of the year" (Frenchies come to mind). Research needs to be done before getting a purebred dog whose traits might not mesh with your lifestyle.
Absolutely!

There are many breeds I love looking at and meeting; but understand that it would be a mismatch where neither I nor the dog would thrive: Chinooks (a rare and lovely breed; but I don't believe I am active enough; and I think the dog would do best in a home with a decent-sized fenced yard, which I don't have), Irish Setters (so beautiful; and brimming with energy; they need active owners who can give the dogs regular off-leash activity for hours each day), all of the Terrier breeds (too tough-minded for me, they'd be running the show), Leonbergers (gorgeous, but they don't live long enough). I wouldn't buy a French Bulldog or a Pug or Pekinese on principle; they're structured so as they don't breathe as easily as many other breeds and I don't really approve of that.

So, if I were thinking of getting another dog (I'm not; since I'm pretty sure my current dog will be my last); I'd probably go for another Spaniel breed, an English Cocker or maybe try a Sussex, or possibly a Miniature Poodle (don't know about the barking, though), or a Tibetan Spaniel; something with medium or low energy. A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel would be perfect; but the high incidence of heart problems puts me off.

Old 06-27-2021, 06:33 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,145,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Absolutely!

There are many breeds I love looking at and meeting; but understand that it would be a mismatch where neither I nor the dog would thrive: Chinooks (a rare and lovely breed; but I don't believe I am active enough; and I think the dog would do best in a home with a decent-sized fenced yard, which I don't have), Irish Setters (so beautiful; and brimming with energy; they need active owners who can give the dogs regular off-leash activity for hours each day), all of the Terrier breeds (too tough-minded for me, they'd be running the show), Leonbergers (gorgeous, but they don't live long enough). I wouldn't buy a French Bulldog or a Pug or Pekinese on principle; they're structured so as they don't breathe as easily as many other breeds and I don't really approve of that.

So, if I were thinking of getting another dog (I'm not; since I'm pretty sure my current dog will be my last); I'd probably go for another Spaniel breed, an English Cocker or maybe try a Sussex, or possibly a Miniature Poodle (don't know about the barking, though), or a Tibetan Spaniel; something with medium or low energy. A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel would be perfect; but the high incidence of heart problems puts me off.
Bouviers are great dogs, ten years ago, my bouvier puppy was very low maintenance, I got spoiled. Fast forward to today, ten week old shepherd puppy is into everything. This is our forth shepherd, but wow, I’d forgotten how strong and energetic these pups are.

He’s going through a major bratty phase, and it will be wonderful when he gets rid of those needle sharp baby teeth. This is definitely not a breed for the timid. Research breeds always, you have to be up to the challenge, especially with many large breed puppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs