Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 05:49 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
My husband wanted a dog so bad and got one (doberman), he is 6 months old. All these 4 months that we have the dog I am the one who have to do everything! I walk and play with him every day, he has much higher energy level than I do, Im tired of running/walking with him, playing fetch (he destroyes all the tennis balls or lose it), he destroyed a few pairs of my shoes (but i let it go already). He also shed like crazy! Every time he gets back from outside he brings dirt on his paws so the house needs to be cleaned a few times a day or the floor gets disgusting. I feel sorry for the dog because he annoys me and deserves a better owner than me. My husband doesn't care, he never goes to walk with the dog and just plays video games, saying its fine the dog is fine. I don't understand why do I have to take care of the dog if I didnt even want to have one in the first place! He needs serious training because he is horrible on the leash, needs all kind of training and I have no patience. I say lets find this dog a better home, and my husband says the dog is fine. Im seriously tired.
I would never get tired of taking care of my little guy, no matter how tired i was and no matter how many shenanigans he gets into. Sorry you feel this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 397 times
It’s the same thing in my house & I HATE IT! I already have a disabled daughter to care for and housework galore! I am too old and too sore and tired to deal with our high energy, STRONG, spazzy Australian Shepherd! It needs too much care and attention that I don’t even have time to provide. The little time I had in between everything I do is GONE bc of this dog and speaking of gone, that’s where hubby is for 12 hrs a day! Working. So he’s too tired himself to bother with the dog too and ends up with him about 1/2 an hour an evening!
We mostly keep it crated bc I can’t be busy AND keep this dog out of trouble and I don’t have leisure time to just babysit it while it chews everything and runs all over.
I also own a small bichon frise. BEST doggie ever! Quiet, gentle, loving, well-behaved. That’s the diff between them. One is perfect the other is perfectly tiring and frustrating.
I’ve mentioned us getting rid of that dog. He makes comments about how much it cost! SO WHAT?! $2000 isn’t worth my happiness and sanity! Dog deserves younger, more energetic, people who have loads of time to dedicate to it.
I’ve got to find a way to convince him. :/

Old 06-09-2021, 12:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodempole View Post
It’s the same thing in my house & I HATE IT! I already have a disabled daughter to care for and housework galore! I am too old and too sore and tired to deal with our high energy, STRONG, spazzy Australian Shepherd! It needs too much care and attention that I don’t even have time to provide. The little time I had in between everything I do is GONE bc of this dog and speaking of gone, that’s where hubby is for 12 hrs a day! Working. So he’s too tired himself to bother with the dog too and ends up with him about 1/2 an hour an evening!
We mostly keep it crated bc I can’t be busy AND keep this dog out of trouble and I don’t have leisure time to just babysit it while it chews everything and runs all over.
I also own a small bichon frise. BEST doggie ever! Quiet, gentle, loving, well-behaved. That’s the diff between them. One is perfect the other is perfectly tiring and frustrating.
I’ve mentioned us getting rid of that dog. He makes comments about how much it cost! SO WHAT?! $2000 isn’t worth my happiness and sanity! Dog deserves younger, more energetic, people who have loads of time to dedicate to it.

Yes, this is why households such as yours shouldn't get high-energy herding breeds.

Your husband could afford $2K for the dog, so he can afford at least part-time doggy daycare and a trainer and to pay someone to take the dog out to run. That's the least you people can do for this poor animal. What do you expect from a herding breed that's crated almost all the time? It's only going to get worse in your home until the dog is such a mess you won't be able to rehome him/her.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-09-2021 at 01:21 PM..

Old 06-09-2021, 03:38 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:
You need to contact a rescue group. This dog is a living creature and has needs your family is not able to meet. Please note I wrote NOT ABLE vs. not willing. Your home situation is unsuitable for this breed and age of dog and it is terribly unfair to the dog to live in the situation you offer.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:46 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
@Jodempole you do realize this thread was last posted on seven years ago?

I didn’t bother to read your post— the posters above me said all I need to know, to know that I had better,not add my FOUR cents ———

Old 06-09-2021, 06:18 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
You should rehome that dog. An energetic dog like that needs exercise and lots of attention from a family that loves them. It is not good to be crating him all day the way you are. That is a recipe for behavioral issues.

It sounds as though you and your husband have your hands full. This dog deserves a home where he is wanted.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:22 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
You should rehome that dog. An energetic dog like that needs exercise and lots of attention from a family that loves them. It is not good to be crating him all day the way you are. That is a recipe for behavioral issues.

It sounds as though you and your husband have your hands full. This dog deserves a home where he is wanted.
I agree with previous posters. And these days depending on where you live it should be easy to rehome the dog. People are having trouble finding dogs to adopt.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:46 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
Well, you "woke up" a very old thread, so some of our regulars may not stop by to check out your note. However, you already have some good comments to use w/ hubby as "testimonials".

Your Aus shep is not a bad dog. He is a dog who NEEDS A JOB. That, as you have seen, is as much a part of him as his eye color. You CAN'T get rid of that need. It's what they were born to do. Thousands of dogs were bred to make that very thing happen - but the same thing that is ESSENTIAL for a dog to be able to manage hundreds of sheep or cattle - ALONE - is absolutely intolerable for a PET.

You don't tell us who bought the dog. Or who you bought it from. If you bought it from a reputable breeder, you should be able to return it to them, although maybe for something less than you paid. You could contact an Australian Shepherd rescue group. Google gives me two for you to start with. There may be more. Because of your situation, I would strongly recommend you stick with a breed-specific rescue group. Aus Sheps have more need of the "right" situation than most dogs, and YOUR dog sounds to me like he needs the right home even more.

You've currently got your Aus Shep in the equivalent of solitary confinement, and your dog will develop neurotic behavior because of it. Not if - WILL.

https://www.aussierescue.org/
https://australianshepherd.rescueme.org/

I wish you, and your dog, luck. Prayers that you find a better answer.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:53 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
It’s the same thing in my house & I HATE IT! I already have a disabled daughter to care for and housework galore! I am too old and too sore and tired to deal with our high energy, STRONG, spazzy Australian Shepherd! . . .
Jodempole: I have asked the mods to split your post out of this super-old one, along with the replies, and put them in a new thread. You NEED answers just as much as your Aus Shep needs you to find answers. And posting in an old thread is not the way to get answers - it should be a new thread.

Although, I can pretty much guarantee that ALL - 100% - of the answers you will get here will point to one thing - find the dog a new home. But putting your post into its own thread will get more responses that say that.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:39 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Now, THAT's a heck of a first post! Nice necro too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs