Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 07:59 PM

297 posts, read 359,659 times

Advertisements

I wonder how he chose which breeds were popular? I almost never see English bull terriers or ridgebacks anymore. While Staffys are all over despite ridicules BSL.

Also, the intelligence grading does not make any sense what so ever. Basenjis, Irish wolf hounds and Aussies listed as less intelligent than Boston terriers and Dalmatians? What?

And in terms of overlooked v.s. over rated he uses intelligence, longevity, health vs costs, grooming, appetite.
But he has a English bull terrier whom he lists as intelligent, which is a short hair and needs virtually no grooming and lives a decent span in good health as it is a terrier breed as over rated. By his own chart that really does not make sense.

Looks like another gimmick to sell a book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 06:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,305,025 times
I've never got an official 'rescue' but all my dogs except one were rescued. Two came from the pound. One came from a lady who was keeping my first beagle for her son, who couldn't take her back and the park where she lived had a dog limit. When I took her home her belly dragged on the ground even with her short legs. We went through a lot of yodeling while I ate people food, but she lived to seventeen as a healthy dog. My current beagle had to go from a farm, as she was a house dog and the farm dogs were attacking her. She still is cautious but she's gotten much more brave. My new dogs are shepard mixes, one possibly full bred. Gumby is very tall and mom was a smallish terrier. But he's a dog you can walk by holding onto his harness. Pokey is still a puppy, but she was being abandoned in a parking lot. She has the grey/black moulding in her coat, and didn't match anything, but somone who trained them said she's a belgium shepard.

They are my first 'large' dogs, and I used to be afraid of them, but the only dog I ever had who was a biter was the cocker we had when I was in high school, and she would not tolerate touching ears or paws. But as they are larger, they are being disciplined, crated and such much more stringently. And we had to put in a six foot fence.

The dogs found in parking lots or as unidentified breed pups or someone's no longer wanted dog have been joys since they really want a family and they are so happy to have their person. Pokey is the smartest dog I've ever had, which is why her growing up behavior is being supervised closer. She goes and picks up her bowl and brings it to me, and then goes and finds the measuring cup for her food and *puts it IN the bowl* and waits. And she has been beautiful with the cats, and gives them gentle kisses and with her big brother breaks up cat fights. The cats have been adopted strays. When Pokey first arrived, she checked each of them out and gave them a kiss and there has never been any hostility between her and a cat.

I think the ones who need you will find you if your ready for them too.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:47 AM

521 posts, read 735,498 times
I would rather rate the dog owners

Old 12-28-2014, 12:50 PM

297 posts, read 359,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
Bump!!!!!!

Old 12-28-2014, 07:39 PM

894 posts, read 1,052,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
This x 1,000^^^^^^^

Old 01-04-2015, 10:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,987,285 times
No matter what one man says, there is no way to really rate dogs. Yes, some are better for one thing, some another, but as some have mentioned: just research before deciding on what will work for you and understand, no matter what breed you choose, there will be positives and negatives. My dad raised and trained German ShortHairs for years, and he was an avid hunter. He would never have considered any other breed, but he knew what he was doing, from day one and some he had were better hunters than others. We did the same, when deciding on our breed of choice, when the kids were young. We bought our first Springer when our oldest daughter was about 12, she paid for 1/2 of the pup and it was hers until after colledge and marriage. She used her for breeding a few times, then had her spade. From then, between her and us, we have had about 20 English Springers. All have been wonderful dogs, but not always with the same personality. Some have been almost 2 smart and a few, actually dumb. Some great personalities, some almost duds.

Now, we have reverted to days of the past, we have just decided for us, rescue dogs, and little ones work best.

All this crap the guy claims is fun to read, but don't take it too seriously. See what others have to say as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs