Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:55 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,262,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You came here to have people agree with you With No thought to your "friends side" I Agree with your Friend! That's Not attaching you personally or other wise! YOU Expect Everyone here to pat you on the back say Dump the friend... So Why bother to post here at all. Your mind is Closed & This thread should be too!
Chill please. The OP has thanked posters whose views/input respectfully differed from her reaction and feelings. Katie1, your posts have a rather dramatic flair that can easily be interpreted as a personal attack. That may not be your intention but it is your presentation.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:58 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,262,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
That is really the way I feel.

It is hot here today..........so our hounds have gotten ice water twice.........who could I trust to do that????
Any considerate, responsible and savvy dog owner.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:22 PM

20,135 posts, read 16,235,206 times
Quote:
Justify what????
The belief that putting down a healthy, non-aggressive dog (let alone 4 of them) because of personal preference is just fine.
Quote:
My dogs will live long and well cared for lives.
As long as you are able or willing to take care of them, you mean. At least that's what your post indicates. What blows me away is that you would still do it if a willing and able person came forward to take care of them.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:26 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,577,004 times
Wow, just wow! That poor dog. All he wanted to do was run, and his owner had him killed all because she was too selfish and lazy to train him, find a way to keep him enclosed or find another home for him. That is truly disgusting.

I'd drop her like a HOT POTATO!

Old 07-06-2015, 07:28 PM

227 posts, read 259,338 times
I'd mourn the loss of that dog and not think twice on the loss of that friend.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:28 PM

30,400 posts, read 23,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TecWmn View Post
I am struggling and I am seeking thoughtful, constructive advice. You may have a strong reaction to my behavior or my friends, but I ask that we please keep the dialogue civil or refrain from responding if you cannot.

My best friend of almost 30 years just did a convenience euthanasia on her dog of 8 years. I loved this dog. No health issues and no aggression issues. The dog would escape from the yard on occasion, but cause no harm. She had expressed her frustration with this in the past and I talked to her about retraining or rehoming the dog; she opted to put up a new fence.

I will openly admit that I am a huge animal lover, do a lot of rescue, and have hard line on people who abuse or dispose of animals. Everyone knows this about me as I am very vocal and it is my number one passion in life.

My friend texted me heartbroken that she "had" to put her dog down. I assumed the dog had been hit or sick or something and called her immediately to see if she was alright. When I asked her what happened she said nothing that the dog had gotten out again and she was worried about what could happen. I then asked her if she was with the dog when they euthanized her and she was not. Out of shock I said 'so you deserted her when she needed you most'. Being that my friend needed someone to support her in that moment, I told her that I was going to go, she agreed that was best and we ended the conversation. In order not to subject my friend to my very strong and angry reaction, I decided to give it space for a while.

The very next day she started texting me her justifications and how 'lots of people' think she did the right thing, that she did what she thought was best for the dog, she was heartbroken that she 'lost' her best friend (talking about her dog), and that bottom line it was her decision that she had to live with.

Unfortunately, her pushing me at that moment resulted in me telling her my opinion that convenience euthanasia is a violation of the human-animal bond and that her dog deserved better. I said she didn't have the courage to honor that bond by being there at the end. That she should not delude herself that she did what was best for the dog, she did what was best for her. I told her to seek support from those people that agree with her decision because I cannot support her through this. She said I was being selfish. I told her it was better for me to be selfish than subject her to my strong feelings about the situation. I asked that we each go find the support we need, grieve the loss, and give it some space.

I agree that not being there for her when she is hurting is selfish, but I just cannot. The thoughts that run through my head are strong and detrimental to her. I too am mourning the loss and I see her as the direct cause - she killed her dog. I think things like at least my selfishness didn't result in the death of a perfectly healthy and loyal animal. I am completely repulsed, disgusted, and shocked by my friend's decision. When she said was 'heartbroken and suffering' my thought was good, you deserve be, you created that, and you are a coward (so you can see why I am not the best person to support her right now).

I am struggling with if and how to continue to be her friend. It seems that 30 years of friendship deserves an effort to work through this. I just don't know if I can or how I would.

Please keep your responses civil and if you have constructive advice that you are willing to share I would appreciate that very much.
That person would no longer be my friend. That IS constructive advice.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:35 PM

30,400 posts, read 23,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
OP I like to know What Your track record is... How many have you re-homed ... & how many Healthy dogs You couldn't fine home for that you had to put to sleep... Or did you just pass them around from place to place til some one said hay this is enough! ????
I saved 23 cats at one time. I REHOMED THEM ALL AND DID NOT PUT THEM DOWN.

I rescued 2 puppies from the middle of the road. I did NOT PUT THEM DOWN.

I have saved rabbits, birds, and even rats. I DID NOT PUT THEM DOWN.

You want to start a pissing contest about who has saved how many? Don't even start with me. There is NO EXCUSE to kill an animal because you don't want to give up control. That is the most selfish, disgusting, VILE thing I've ever heard.

I agree with OP, your words have zero stock.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:38 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,408,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I saved 23 cats at one time. I REHOMED THEM ALL AND DID NOT PUT THEM DOWN.

I rescued 2 puppies from the middle of the road. I did NOT PUT THEM DOWN.

I have saved rabbits, birds, and even rats. I DID NOT PUT THEM DOWN.

You want to start a pissing contest about who has saved how many? Don't even start with me. There is NO EXCUSE to kill an animal because you don't want to give up control. That is the most selfish, disgusting, VILE thing I've ever heard.

I agree with OP, your words have zero stock.
Congrats! & **** on you too! Cause I didn't ask you! I asked the OP

WOW as a Breeder I Gave up control as you put more times than I care to count! So no clue why you feel I wouldn't give up control of 1 crippled cat IF the right home had come along! I got told over & over again how many Healthy cats these rescues Had to put down for Lack of good homes How did I expect to find a good home for a crippled cat? That I should put the cat to sleep on My Dime Not there! I Finally did!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:55 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,725,297 times
I am really surprised that a vet would just do this for no good reason

Old 07-06-2015, 09:35 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,423,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The belief that putting down a healthy, non-aggressive dog (let alone 4 of them) because of personal preference is just fine.

As long as you are able or willing to take care of them, you mean. At least that's what your post indicates. What blows me away is that you would still do it if a willing and able person came forward to take care of them.
We are talking about hunting hounds..........not just anyone COULD take them.

They are not pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs