Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 12:13 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,456,337 times

Advertisements

It is true that a vet can only keep or rehome them with the owner's permission (and unbelieveably, some owners will refuse to allow it). Otherwise the best they can do is turn the owner away, refusing to go through with the euthanasia.
I can see circumstances where the dog or cat is unhealthy or has such a temperament that without a really good home available a person *might* have to consider euthanasia as an alternative, but those cases would be few and far between, and certainly not the case with the OP's friend.
CSD what the heck has you so angry about people who delay any length of time about putting an animal to sleep? You seem very focused about that subject on here.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,908,801 times
I could no longer be friends. After 30 yrs, you both should have known how the other would react.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:16 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,282,066 times
I just want to add a response to those who said a lot of mean things about the friend and how she should have rehomed the dog...

It is extremely difficult to rehome a dog, especially for dogs that are black, big breed, mixes, have behaviour problems, and older than 2 years (worse for seniors). Unless you have a desirable dog like a pom pom, yorkie, etc.. that dog stays with you, the foster mom, until a home is found. That can take weeks, monthsor years depending on what people want (cute, cuddly and easy) v. what you have (an older dog who likes to break out and stray).

In the meantime, guess what? It's your responsibility. You will have to feed it, care for it, and train it. While you are trying to train this dog who obviously don't want to be confined, it will try to break out. This dog will claw your doors, chew on your screens, and dig under your fence, just like it did with your friend. And if you plan to rehome this dog like that, I hope you are going to warn your adoptees before their home and yard are destroyed. And where that dog ends up may be a more painful and worst fate than euthanasia.

Euthanasia is not evil. If the friend didn't care, she could have done what thousands of people do each year: dump it on the side of the road.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:39 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
I just want to add a response to those who said a lot of mean things about the friend and how she should have rehomed the dog...

It is extremely difficult to rehome a dog, especially for dogs that are black, big breed, mixes, have behaviour problems, and older than 2 years (worse for seniors). Unless you have a desirable dog like a pom pom, yorkie, etc.. that dog stays with you, the foster mom, until a home is found. That can take weeks, monthsor years depending on what people want (cute, cuddly and easy) v. what you have (an older dog who likes to break out and stray).

In the meantime, guess what? It's your responsibility. You will have to feed it, care for it, and train it. While you are trying to train this dog who obviously don't want to be confined, it will try to break out. This dog will claw your doors, chew on your screens, and dig under your fence, just like it did with your friend. And if you plan to rehome this dog like that, I hope you are going to warn your adoptees before their home and yard are destroyed. And where that dog ends up may be a more painful and worst fate than euthanasia.

Euthanasia is not evil. If the friend didn't care, she could have done what thousands of people do each year: dump it on the side of the road.
What you are saying is true but in this case OP and the OP's brother offered to take the dog. The cat also had a home offered to it, albeit "filthy and smelly". I had to have a 5 year-old dog with serious psychological issues euthanized, if someone had offered to take her where she would have had zero contact with additional humans I would have done anything and everything to make that happen. Euthanasia should only be the last, desperate option for a healthy non-aggressive animal.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:54 PM

166 posts, read 483,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
OP I like to know What Your track record is... How many have you re-homed ... & how many Healthy dogs You couldn't fine home for that you had to put to sleep... Or did you just pass them around from place to place til some one said hay this is enough! ????
I have never had to put a dog to sleep for any reason other than medical. As someone who is used to vetting potential homes and owners for a good fit, I am happy to say that none of the animals I have rehomed were euthanized or rehomed again after proper vetting for the right family fit.

I didn't come on here for you to attack me personally. I asked for constructive advice, which you have not offered in any of your posts. If you have constructive advice, please share - otherwise, please keep your nasty personal attacks to yourself.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How is this any different than those who refuse to put their animals down humanely when they are terminally ill?
They do what is convenient for them not what is best for the animal but no one is repulsed, disgusted or shocked by their behavior.

You have your ideals about what is right or justified and your friend has hers. You do not have to like nor agree with her ideals however, if you are truly friends you would accept her decision.

Perhaps you are the one who deserves to be heartbroken and suffering and perhaps you are the one who is a coward because you "cannot bring yourself" to accept her decision about her animal.
I would have a problem with someone who couldn't let go of a terminally ill animal as well.

Thank you for sharing your view.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post

Thank you for the constructive feedback.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:15 PM

621 posts, read 1,424,590 times
Don't judge anyone unless you have lived their life.

This is the biggest problem with us today, we take part of a story, then run with it.

I feel for the OPs friend, she did what she thought was the right thing to do. Our shelters are full of dogs from people who didn't have the courage to do the right thing. "My dog only bit one person" etc.

To the OP - I am so sorry you were put in this position, but try your hardest to understand your friends position. If you can't, you can't. Give it some time, and down the road, you might.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:34 PM

8,899 posts, read 5,392,531 times
Some posters here seem to feel the OP is supposed to put aside her own beliefs and values to accomodate her friend. I am wondering why. Doesn't she have feelings? Why doesn't the friend just seek out support from lotsapeople, rather than demand the OP tell her what she did was OK?

Last edited by Minethatbird; 07-06-2015 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: omission

Old 07-06-2015, 02:42 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,371,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TecWmn View Post
I have never had to put a dog to sleep for any reason other than medical. As someone who is used to vetting potential homes and owners for a good fit, I am happy to say that none of the animals I have rehomed were euthanized or rehomed again after proper vetting for the right family fit.

I didn't come on here for you to attack me personally. I asked for constructive advice, which you have not offered in any of your posts. If you have constructive advice, please share - otherwise, please keep your nasty personal attacks to yourself.
You came here to have people agree with you With No thought to your "friends side" I Agree with your Friend! That's Not attaching you personally or other wise! YOU Expect Everyone here to pat you on the back say Dump the friend... So Why bother to post here at all. Your mind is Closed & This thread should be too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.