Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,584,734 times

Advertisements

First, thank you for posting this as this may serve as a wake up call for others. I totally feel for you. You have done everything that an average dog owner would do. I also want to let you know that I totally agree with you on your assessment on PEOPLE at the dog park.

Regarding Seattle, APBT_Samara has posted very good information about the breed. I don’t have any good suggestion. How about enroll Seattle to a training program, pet therapy or bomb or drug detection or others. If Seattle can get some certificates, the chance to be adopted may increase. Also try to mingle with other pitbull owners so if one of them likes Seattle, he or she may take him in. Of course, at the same time, do not allow him to be around other dogs without a close supervision.

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:58 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,961,860 times
I know very little about Pit Bulls and even less about dog agression, but I know a great deal about heartache. Make all decisions very slowly - you sound devastated and shattered. At this point, you are probably willing to do just about anything to regain the love of your girlfriend, but please make your decisions with great care. Though your girlfriend might think everything would be better with Seattle out of the picture and putting him down is the quickest means to that end, in the long run, that choice will place an unspeakable strain on your relationship. Don't be rash. Do the slow, hard work to find Seattle a home where he will truly fit in. Even if your relationship never truly mends, you will be comforted by doing the right thing for Seattle. Take care...

Old 01-30-2008, 02:15 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,184,804 times
I have already talked about all of this with you through e-mails, so I'm not going to say much right now, but as I was reading through this thread I found this...

Quote:
she went on about the pit bull's 'locking' jaws
I absolutely cannot stand all of these unbelievable "pit bull" myths! Did you explain to her that the "locking jaw" thing, just like a lot of other crap people hear about "pit bulls", is nothing more than a crazy myth? It drives me nuts when I hear people bring up the pit myths! I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could believe such unbelievable trash! No offense to your ex. I think the craziest "pit bull" myth I have ever heard is one that APBT_Samara shared with me. I guess someone thought that "pit bulls" had a second set of jaws in the back of their throats! Oh, and then there's the myth about "pit bulls" sucking the blood of their victims from their eyes. And "pit bulls" randomly turn on people, "pit bulls" attack for no reason and with no warning, "pit bulls" have the strongest bit out of any breed, you are more likely to be attacked by a "pit bull" than any other breed, "pit bulls" brains swell and cause them to go crazy, "pit bulls" are born mean and/ or are naturally human aggressive, etc, etc, etc! If it seem unbelievable, chances are IT IS! It really only takes a tiny bit of common freaking sense to realize that, IMHO.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:02 PM

19 posts, read 59,896 times
yeah, as soon as she said that she would have not put her dog, morrisson down, if the tables had been turned... she cited situations saying that i knew about seattle's aggressiveness. well, so did she, and she also knew about morrisson's aggressiveness. one thing she did say was that morrisson knew when to stop. and that pit bulls, with tremendous jaws, etc... and that IS when i politely said that those were myths and untruths that were founded in propaganda, poor press. that she should research the breed before saying things like that.
this situation is so difficult.
i want to do the right thing.
so i slowly continue to gather information, meditate on it, and take action to see if there is someone out there that may be a suitable owner for seattle.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lganser View Post
yeah, as soon as she said that she would have not put her dog, morrisson down, if the tables had been turned... she cited situations saying that i knew about seattle's aggressiveness. well, so did she, and she also knew about morrisson's aggressiveness. one thing she did say was that morrisson knew when to stop. and that pit bulls, with tremendous jaws, etc... and that IS when i politely said that those were myths and untruths that were founded in propaganda, poor press. that she should research the breed before saying things like that.
this situation is so difficult.
i want to do the right thing.
so i slowly continue to gather information, meditate on it, and take action to see if there is someone out there that may be a suitable owner for seattle.
So you do want to find a home for Seattle? I have a several friends that have a lot of experience with APBTs, and I could see if any of them are looking for an APBT. We do live far away from you though, so I don't know? You could always list ads on the internet, but I would strongly suggest that you really make sure any potential buyers/ adopters are educated on the breed, have experience with the breed and dog aggressive dogs, know about how Seattle is and truly have Seattle's best interests at heart. Good luck! And again, I'm really sorry you're going through this!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:04 PM

Default seeking home for seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
So you do want to find a home for Seattle? I have a several friends that have a lot of experience with APBTs, and I could see if any of them are looking for an APBT. We do live far away from you though, so I don't know?
a friend of mine shared a story with me last night. she once had a rottweiler (while living in seattle, coincidentally, as that's my minnesotan companion's name) that became dog aggressive as he matured. there were some scuffs. she had a very similar battle emotionally, though her dog did not take the life of another. as he increased in size, she had a hard time controlling him on leash... she told a few friends, who passed on the info. some time passed, and the perfect prospect came along to adopt her dog. it was very difficult for her to let him go. however, when she brought her rottweiler to meet this gentleman, the dog bounded up to him and rubbed his head against his leg as though they had known each other already. ended up working out great. the guy had a big fenced in yard. he was a private investigator and was able to bring his new dog companion to work with him when he was in the office.

my answer is this... yes. i am open to adopting seattle out if it is a good fit. i will not just let him go to someone that cannot handle him or that abuses dogs - the mike vicks of the world. i also want to be able to give that person a compete history. i have contacted the humane society in my area, and that's not an option. he would be PTS. i also contacted a few pit rescues locally, and they only take dogs from shelters.

if there is any way you can help in finding someone, please let me know. i would be willing to drive him somewhere if it were someone you suggested. this decision is a difficult one. i cuddle with that guy every night.

also, he is up to date on all vaccinations and is microchipped.

warm regards
lisa ganser
minneapolis
ganserL@gmail.com

Old 02-02-2008, 04:37 PM

I can't even imagine giving my fur-babies up! I really can't say I know how hard this must be for you because I don't even want to think about it, but if it's what is best for him, you and your other dog, than that's what should be done. In my opinion anyway. I completely agree that he needs to be going to a good, loving home with someone that is educated on the breed, has experience with the breed, can give him what he needs and properly control him. I also think it's very responsible of you, and critical for his wellbeing, for you to explain his past to potential adopters. I will definitely talk to some people and ask around and see if anyone is looking for an APBT. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone who is looking right now, but you never know. If I do find someone who's interested, I'll tell them what I know and then give you a way to get in touch with them. I'm also trying to help a friend of mine re-home her female APBT (for different reasons), so I can just talk to everyone about Virgo (my friends dog) and Seattle. Anyway, I'll let you know if I find anyone who might be interested.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:48 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,720,154 times
Please try that pitbull forum, there is an adoption section and the forum is filled with helpful, legit owners. If you really wish to rehome him I'd go there to ensure he gets a proper home.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:58 AM

Default pit bull forum

thanks, yeah i drafted a shorter more to the point post for that site and lost what i had typed when i tried posting. i intend to do that though. i subscribed to that forum. i like it a lot, i've read a lot there.
more soon

Old 02-09-2008, 03:28 PM

i brought this issue to pitbullforum.com
but did want to say thanks to everyone here for your feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs