Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:49 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,303,744 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to stir the pot as this post is based on personal family experience.

Your dog has became aggressive and alpha. It has now killed another dog.
I don't recall but has the dog also became human aggressive? regardless it probably will.
You are willing to give up a relationship rather than the dog.

My grandmother had a red nosed Pit back in 59. I really dont remember to much else about the dog. Her baby no doubt. And she loved that dog. His name was Red, go figure.
Well Red became territorial aggressive in the back yard. He became aggressive towards us kids. I was 9 at the time.
Grandma was a kind person and that dog was not mistreated, abused or aggression trained. Heck I'm not sure if Grandma Katie even knew about dog fighting.
One day Red Got out and attacked and killed another dog down the block.
G'ma decide that was enough that she couldn't take any chances the dog hurting one of us kids. So she found a good home and gave that dog to another family.. Local car dealership.
Within two weeks that dog killed that mans 9 year old daughter.
I was with mom when we got the word what Red had done. Straight to Granmas we went. She was passed out on the floor when we got there. Fainted as I remember but we called Doc to the house. (yeah Doctors still made house calls)
Grandma cried for weeks over that. And I know to the day she died (1993)
she had regrets over that. It troubled her greatly.
She blamed herself and more than once I heard her say, "I wonder what that little girl would have been"

I cant and wont tell you what to do, I can only relate an old story.
I do know I love my dogs equally as it sounds you do.
Its your decision and choice.

I would like to add I have never owned a Pitt so I cant personally observe as to behavior. I have owned large dogs and small dogs. From a chow to a min pin. Im glad my min pin is not the size of the chow.

Last edited by Convert 54; 02-10-2008 at 08:57 AM..

Old 02-10-2008, 12:32 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,466,971 times
You're in a pickle. As APBT Samsara said, not everyone should own these types of dogs. I've got rotties. Thank God the first two I ever had were phenomenal and had been extremely well socialized and trained. But because of them I started learning about the breed and looking into them more seriously. That's when I got involved in training and rescue work.

Since then, I had one rott that was awesome with people, perfect conformation - had excellent blood lines - but her temperment was so bad that after a year of working with her she was still dog aggressive. I wound up having to recommend she be euth'd. I hated it - was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. But I refuse to keep a dog alive when there's a possibility that it'll just wind up adding to the bite statistics and giving the breed a worse name than it already has.

Other than that, I highly recommend you find someone with a lot of experience with this breed, preferably someone that does rescue work and have her evaluated. She may not be a candidate for re-homing. If this is the case, you've got some serious decisions to make. And those decisions affect the wellfare of the rest of your pack.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:40 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,514,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Your dog has became aggressive and alpha. It has now killed another dog.
I don't recall but has the dog also became human aggressive? regardless it probably will.
The OP stated that the dog has shown no signs of being people-aggressive, only dog-aggressive. This is not unusual with pits, it's against they breed type to be people-aggressive...now dog-aggressive is another thing.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:43 PM

253 posts, read 1,055,198 times
Default Tough decision

We got a pound puppy, male, 4 months old in July of 2005, named him Jake. We had 2 older males 11 & 12 who are best buddies and one of them is a pit mix.
We took the older dogs to the Humane society to meet Jake before we adopted him and everything went well. Jake was very reserved and friendly when he met Oliver and Sam.
We brought him home 5 days later (after he got fixed), and his whole demeanor changed when he walked in. Kinda like, I'm home and I'll call the shots around here.
Within a day there were feeding problems, so we fed Jake out of the room for them. He wouldn't let them come and socialize with us without challenging them. We kept working around it, and then his human agression started with us. If he was lying down and you said, "Hey Jake your a good boy", he'd pick his head up and growl at you.

I went to pick up an empty food dish by him and he almost caught me in the face. We continued to try to work with him and make excuses for his behavior.
We spoke to the vet about it on quite a few occasions and looked into an animal behaviorist. Jake was 72 lbs, not a pit to our knowledge, they said a Catahoulia hound or something, when we adopted him.
The vet stressed several times to us, "A normal dog will not bite the hand that feeds its."
Quite honestly we knew that if we took him back and they aggression tested him that he would be put down, and that was tough for us to swallow.

Finally, he started getting more agressive with us and with the other dogs, last straw,,,,we took him back in July 2007, a little after 2 yrs.
He left us no choice, and we felt awful, but we couldn't take the chance that someone would get seriously injured.

There are many dogs, that don't have behavioral problems, we felt it was the humane thing to do.
We still haven't adopted another dog, because we're afraid to get another one with Jake's problems.
I even e-mailed the Dog Whisperer, when he was a year, please do a show on, "for the sake of Jake",,,,,,,,,,,,,nothing
You're lucky you don't have the human agression problem, but the dog agression can be just as troubling and disastrous.

We realized how much he had made the older dogs lives miserable; the first night he was gone, they came into the living room and both laid on the rug and fell asleep. They hadn't been able to do that for 2yrs. We allowed it to continue for all that time, but we should of taken him back almost immeditaly. We still feel sorrow for him, I've owned dogs for many, many years, but never one like him.
Good luck because you have to live with whatever you do or don't do. I know from this experience, if you feel they'll be PTS, you know you have a major problem on your hands, and making excuses doesn't solve their mental issues.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:57 PM

19 posts, read 59,884 times
Default helpful, legit owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Please try that pitbull forum, there is an adoption section and the forum is filled with helpful, legit owners. If you really wish to rehome him I'd go there to ensure he gets a proper home.
so i have been active on the site. in the very least the best i hope to come from my involvement with that on-line community is that others might read my story and will be able to prevent making the same mistake i did. i have also elaborated further on that site about my situation.

i don't think i can use that site to find a new home for seattle, however. in the rules under adoption it specifically says no owner surrenders or something to that effect.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:02 PM

19 posts, read 59,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
You're in a pickle. As APBT Samsara said, not everyone should own these types of dogs. I've got rotties. Thank God the first two I ever had were phenomenal and had been extremely well socialized and trained. But because of them I started learning about the breed and looking into them more seriously. That's when I got involved in training and rescue work.

Since then, I had one rott that was awesome with people, perfect conformation - had excellent blood lines - but her temperment was so bad that after a year of working with her she was still dog aggressive. I wound up having to recommend she be euth'd. I hated it - was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. But I refuse to keep a dog alive when there's a possibility that it'll just wind up adding to the bite statistics and giving the breed a worse name than it already has.

Other than that, I highly recommend you find someone with a lot of experience with this breed, preferably someone that does rescue work and have her evaluated. She may not be a candidate for re-homing. If this is the case, you've got some serious decisions to make. And those decisions affect the wellfare of the rest of your pack.
thank you so much for your insight.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,566,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

Like the other poster similiar to this one, there is much wisedom in these sober experiences. THough I would never wish it upon anyone, I'm grateful as others are here to hear that you made the right decision in putting the agressive dog down after you have done all you can to try and fix the problem. Sometimes, there's things you can't fix whether from bad blood or bad past.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,451 times
Default pitbull advice

Hi, It is unfortunate but Pit Bulls can not be treated like regular dogs. I own a pit bull and a border collie. They are like sisters but sometimes they fight over food, treats, etc. My pit bull is 3 years old and has gotten slightly more aggressive over the years but I do not give her a chance to act out. Thats the main thing that people need to understand. Never leave a pit bull alone with another animal or especially children. I dont even take my dogs around kids because neither of them like them very much. I do not think its fair to put the dog to sleep. It is not the dogs fault he acted out. He is breed for this type of reaction towards other dogs. Training and education is #1. I was very upset about a story the other day about 2 pit bulls that were put down because one of the dogs bit someones hand. There is no need to kill something, ever. If you must get rid of the dog, find a good home for it or call a local dog rescue that is against killing. I am really sorry to hear about your other dog. I hope this helps.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,583,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover711 View Post
If you must get rid of the dog, find a good home for it or call a local dog rescue that is against killing. I am really sorry to hear about your other dog. I hope this helps.
It is not easy to place pitbulls. Numerous shelters were contacted for the two abandoned pitbulls. In one case, a major donor and an original founder of a no kill shelter has acted on behalf of the two abandoned pitbulls to push for their acceptance. So far, no no-kill shelter has agreed to take them in. These are two pitbulls that have no history of being aggressive.

I don't have any previous experience in rescue. Everytime, I watch animal rescue in Animal planet (Animal Cops) and Best Friends show. Wow, it is so easy. But in real life, it is almost impossible to find them home. AliceT has put a call on this forum to see anyone that may be able to find a home for the two abandoned pitbulls. So far, no response. And the two pitbulls are now in a kill shelter and their days are numbered.

I also have to applaud you to speak the truth. They may not start a fight. Statistically speaking, they tend to finish the fight. With so many pitbull lovers and defenders in this forum, I can't believe that no one can help them.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:36 AM

36,792 posts, read 31,072,414 times
Quote:
With so many pitbull lovers and defenders in this forum, I can't believe that no one can help them.
LingLing
I imagine many of us pitbull lovers and defenders already have our handsfull. It breaks my heart to hear these stories and I would love to be able to help, but with 2 pits, a rotty, a border collie, a mutt and now a stray spitz that showed up (that im trying to find a home for) I cant take on anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs