Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:52 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,420,704 times

Advertisements

It is a terrible situation to be in, it happens with dogs, any dogs. My Staff is perfect with both children and other animals. The only dog I had that had agressions was a Lab/Retriever mix and it didnt like other dogs, but especially seem to hate kids. I do wish you all the best when trying to rehome it.

Quote:
With so many pitbull lovers and defenders in this forum, I can't believe that no one can help them.
There has been a lot of good advice. Many of the owners already have more than one dog, and others like me, its not practical to have more than one.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:37 PM

216 posts, read 682,684 times
Ok. I read this post this afternoon, and it upset me so much, I had to walk away. I am now on my third glass of wine, and will speak honestly. I know I will upset many posters by what I am about to say, but think it needs to be said.

Lisa, as a dog owner, you are my worst nightmare.

I lived in a neighborhood that was terrorized by a pit bull, who was owned by a young girl who refused to see her dog's aggression problem. I have a friend whose elderly lab was mauled by the neighbors pit bull, which jumped a fence...it took three adults armed with shovels and pepper spray, to get that pit bull off her dog. The owners insisted that their "baby" could never do such a thing. And many years ago, I witnessed a pit bull kill another dog in an unprovoked attack. For those of you who have never seen a fighting breed dispatch another dog, its a horrifying, violent, and traumatizing experience. To this day, I remember the sound of the smaller dog's screams. The dog just screamed and screamed while the pit bull tore its throat out, and it took two grown men beating the pit bull in the head until it was unconscious to get it to release this dog.

You say you did a lot of "research" before getting a pit bull, but why were you taking your pit bull to dog parks? You said you got Seattle from "friends", who were, obviously, back yard breeders, who were about to dump the runt of the litter at a shelter...you said he was "chewed up" by his litermates. Your "friends" sound like idiots, and animal abusers, breeding pit bulls for profit, not caring properly for them, and dumping the unwanted pups at a shelter. So you took a poorly bred pit bull, who experienced poor early care and trauma in the litter...surprise, surprise, you have a dog with temperament problems as well as dangerous levels of dog aggression.

Your pit bull has gotten into fights at the dog park, attacked your other dog and inflicted injuries serious enough to require stitches, is "skiddish" around kids, killed another dog, oh, and acts aggressively toward men with beards. Do you seriously think you will find a good home for this dog, unless you lie about his problems? On what planet do you live on? Your post seems to center on your feelings, and your feelings only. What about the danger your dog may present to other people and their pets? What could happen if your dog attacks another leashed dog, and the owner gets hurt trying to protect their dog?

If you want to keep this dog, then you have a moral obligation to make sure this dog NEVER harms another dog or person. You know the dog has problems. You must never let this dog off leash in public anywhere, and cannot leave the dog with your idiot friends (who took it to the dog park against your wishes) when you go away. You will have to spend a lot of time and energy managing this dogs behavior, and your number one priority will have to be the safety of other people and their pets. You cannot make excuses or try to rationalize the dogs behavior. The dog has crossed that line, and has killed another dog. It will happen again, if you are not vigilant.

As for Kingston, it seems like a miserable life for him. You will have to keep them separate I imagine. I'm not sure it's fair to kingston to have him live in constant fear of being attacked...he has already been injured on several occasions. You claim he is submissive, but is attacked anyway...that's a bad sign. You have a fighting breed who, quite naturally, is not responding normally to another dogs "signals" of submission. I suspect, eventually, Seattle will kill Kingston. Until then, Kingston will live in a very stressful environment, in constant fear of a dog that is not "playing by the rules".

My advice to you is to rehome Kingston....out of fairness to him. He sounds like a nice dog, who doesn't deserve this, and he would be easier to find a home for than an aggressive pit bull. Then you can devote yourself to managing Seattle's aggressive behavior, since that is the decision you have made. I don't agree with posters who think that dog aggression isn't serious; there is potential criminal and civil liability if your dog kills another animal, or hurts a person. Dogs are neither good nor bad...they are a product of their breeding, and will exhibit the traits they were bred for. Understand, though, that the rest of us love our dogs too....I certainly wouldn't want you as my neighbor. Owning a dog that wants to kill oter dogs is a huge responsibility. Keep this in mind as you make your decision.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:51 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,909,578 times
Hepcat - this was very disturbing, however, I think you delivered the message in a realistic, honest and level-headed way to Lisa.

Lisa - I hope for everyone's sake that you make a decision soon before irreversible damage is done. My heart goes out to you.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:48 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,714,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
I'm not trying to stir the pot as this post is based on personal family experience.

Your dog has became aggressive and alpha. It has now killed another dog.
I don't recall but has the dog also became human aggressive? regardless it probably will.
No it probably won't Its possible to be both human and dog aggressive, no doubt in that, its just not likely. Some fighting dogs killed other dogs and some Pit Bulls get in accidental fights and kill other dogs but never did and don't become human aggressive. Humans are a totally different thing. With the resource guarding and things like that it is a bit different then typical dog aggression so it could go further but Pits are usually human submissive so I wouldn't worry too much. My alpha ***** will never challenge a human and she is a true alpha ***** not just a dominant female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lganser View Post
so i have been active on the site. in the very least the best i hope to come from my involvement with that on-line community is that others might read my story and will be able to prevent making the same mistake i did. i have also elaborated further on that site about my situation.

i don't think i can use that site to find a new home for seattle, however. in the rules under adoption it specifically says no owner surrenders or something to that effect.
Oh I didn't realize that. But I mean as far as someone pointed you to where to go. I think you can't list your dog on there but if you ask around they might know someone to help.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 PM

19 posts, read 59,838 times
when i went to my vet to talk about possibly putting seattle down, they, in a sense, talked me out of it. i have made a decision to keep both of my dogs. seattle is managable on leash. he is never left unattended unless crated. i didn't feel especially up to the challenge for awhile there. and of course would never try to place him without telling the whole truth about his behavior. just felt like giving an update.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:08 PM

19 posts, read 59,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
On what planet do you live on?
i live on earth.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:49 PM

233 posts, read 752,088 times
when i lived in bermuda, i had a pit/ akida mix, ufa and my brother had a doberman/ pit mix, boodica. both were female. boodica was first in the yard and a few months later ufa came. and they fought... and fought. my brother dealt with his dog and i with mine. i let her own who was in charge, and she submitted very quickly... so much so she ate when i told her to. and would not if i did not say she could.
and she learned hand signals.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,464 times
Default my beagle hound mix was attacked in our back yard

iganser,
that story is so sad. i cant beleive that your girlfriends dog died that has to be so hard. my dog who is about 11 was out on his runner today, he is a very friendly beagle hound mix gets alond with every dog that comes along. i have know him 11 years and honesley he has never been aggressive with another dog and i have 4 in my house..i love dogs literally, anyway my dog went out on his runner like he does everyday..and he pokes around the yard and lays in the sun and i heard him barking agressivley and yelping like he was hurt i looked out back and there was this bullmastiff pitbull mix on top of him dragging him by his throught across the back yard. he in the mix had a seizure and was unable to move his body.. i screamed to my husband to come help because i have a 3 year old and i didn't want him to see this..as soon as my husband and his friend came around,the dog ran acrross the yard to his house.. his owner came over and apologized and asked if our dog was o.k. and i barked no actually he isn't which he is alive but he is hurt..his ear is all bitten apart..and he has a tooth hole in his head which stopped bleeding but it is there..and you can see it. i am very angry i want to call someone and report it caise i understand that dogs get loose, i know i have 4 and 2 of them always get out and run the street.. i get them right back but they are very friendly dogs..my oldest fred is 11 and is a beagle hound mix, my oldest female is frenilla and she is about 2 1/2 is a yello lab mix, my 4 month old boy max and my 4 month old female lucy who is my baby girl are also yellow lab mixes..but they are much smaller... they all go out on the runner..and now i am scared.. cause that dog could have easily killed my other dogs who aren't as tough as my male..the sad thing is i have seen the dog before loose in the neiborhood and there are kids around. my son who is 3 likes to play outside and i just don't trust the back yard now.. my dogs are always out with me in a fenced in back yard but obviousley this stupid pit bull mastiff can jump fences...so now i am ready to go over there and tell these people off cause my poor dog fred is hurting pretty bad, and i cant afford to take him to the vets..

Old 03-11-2008, 08:41 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,483,128 times
The OP is going to keep both dogs, so it seems there is a resolution and an end to the story. We can close the thread now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs