Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 10:38 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,682 times

Advertisements

my dog got hold of a cooked chicken thigh bone, about half the length of a chicken drumstick. i saw him and tried to get it from him but in his haste to not have it stolen by me he literally swallowed it whole. Should i be concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 03:12 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Yes but not much you can do except watch for blood in his stool. Contact your vet asap

Old 10-23-2015, 05:55 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Most likely everything will be fine.

The time our lab ate almost a WHOLE small cooked turkey (my FIL left it outside in a roasting pan on a table, on his balcony to keep cool) our vet said to give her two TBSP of Vaseline. I put a tiny bit of meat in the Vaseline so it would be more appetizing, she licked it up and everything came out in the wash. Not pretty LOL The worst thing was her turkey farts. Stinky enough to bring tears to your eyes. LOL

Old 10-23-2015, 06:36 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,565 times
My dog once swallowed a ball sized cooked pork bone. She also ate porkchop bones. This was before I knew anything about the dangers of bones. She pooped everything out. My other dog ate rope, tennis balls, rags, etc and it all came out just fine (we stopped giving her rope toys, tennis balls and bedding since).

You can call the vet if you want for some advice. It's more of a wait and see. Add a little Miralax if you have it in her food, mixed with some wet food to help things get moving. If she strains to poop, or you see blood and other signs showing she isn't feeling good, take her to the vet.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:22 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
If swallowing bones was very bad for dogs, the species would have all died out millions of years ago.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:21 AM

936 posts, read 2,068,682 times
grampatom: i see the wisdom in your advice as im sure dogs in the wild ate tons of terrible things before they were domesticated. However, those bones weren't typically cooked and they probably lived much shorter lives as well when those horrible things they ate killed them whatever small percentage of the time.

This dog is 3 and would probably have died 5x by now without vet treatment. I'm not that worried because he didnt chew it up so its not gonna break apart and cut him up hopefully.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:47 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
grampatom: i see the wisdom in your advice as im sure dogs in the wild ate tons of terrible things before they were domesticated. However, those bones weren't typically cooked and they probably lived much shorter lives as well when those horrible things they ate killed them whatever small percentage of the time.

This dog is 3 and would probably have died 5x by now without vet treatment. I'm not that worried because he didnt chew it up so its not gonna break apart and cut him up hopefully.
Cooked bones are dangerous because they can splinter; whereas raw bones are pliable. I'd just watch him, but get him to a vet if you see any vomiting, diarrhea, lack of bowel movement, loss of appetite, or lethargy.

You can also consider "bulk feeding" him to provide a soft "buffer" as the bone travels through his system. Lots of bread and more meals throughout the day.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:09 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Watch him, it may pass through fine or it may cause serious problems. If he's not eating or behaving normally take him to the vet.

Just because the ancestors of the domestic dog probably ate bones 30,000 years ago doesn't mean that eating a bone can't cause a problem in a dog today. Dogs' physiology has evolved.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:24 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,863 times
My wise old vet told me -- If you find your dog has a chicken bone....just let him/her eat it. Don't go grabbing it. At that point, they will most likely swallow it whole, and the "swallowing whole" is what you want to avoid.

My little dachshund ate about 5-6 chicken bones in her life. I just let her have it and calmly looked on or completely walked away. She took her time, chewed it slowly and never had a problem. I always watched her stools afterwards.

Others may disagree, and I welcome all comments. This always worked with me.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:26 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
my dog got hold of a cooked chicken thigh bone, about half the length of a chicken drumstick. i saw him and tried to get it from him but in his haste to not have it stolen by me he literally swallowed it whole. Should i be concerned?
Yes 100% is take him down the vets.

I know it's expensive but better to be safe than sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs