Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 09:21 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,879,579 times

Advertisements

if he swallowed it WHOLE your fine...cooked bones are dangerous becaue when they are crunched they splinter and shatter like glass, those sharp shards are whats dangerous...
if it goes down in 1 piece, theres no sharp edges to worry about and itll digest and pass through just like any other meal.

whole is ONLY dangerous as a choking hazard...if he didn't choke on it hell be fine.
stomach acid ph will quickly turn even a cooked bone into mush.

just watch him for normal bowel movemnts, if he seems to be constipated or passing blood, get a vet check.
or if he starts vomiting get a vet check (could have gotten stuck causing a blockage)
or if he starts acting ODD in any way get a vet check (again could get stuck before hitting the stomach...)

but I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 05:12 PM

32,678 posts, read 48,163,278 times
I'm sure the problem has been resolved by now.

I wouldn't give chicken bones to my dog, but 99.99% of the time, the dog will be fine. Just observe and make sure the dog doesn't show signs of distress.

There will be some digesting of the bones. Also, for small sharp pieces, the intestines have nerves and they will pull back from anything sharp and not keep squeezing until they are punctured. As long as the dog is behaving in a normal fashion, it is not panic to the vet time.

Just be more careful with the bones in the future so he doesn't sneak another one.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,425,290 times
I will never know nor do I necessarily want to know everything my boy has eaten. Knock on wood, so far so good.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:50 AM

2 posts, read 52,733 times
Smile Dogs love fowl.......

OK Dogs LOVE fowl and will help themselves any chance they can get......except those amazingly well trained dogs who will leave some scrap of food sitting on their paw until they have permission to eat it......I've seen them but never owned one I have a small dachshund who weighed 4.5 pounds when I adopted her, is a long haired dachshund but had almost no hair upon arrival and the worst skin I have ever seen!!! The Vet told me at the time he couldn't even spay her because it was doubtful she would survive. So I started bathing her in a special sulfur shampoo and put coconut oil on afterwards, this cleared up the leathery skin but although her hair did start to grow it would still break off and she also had a fair amount of what looked like dandruff So I did a lot of investigation on raw meat for dogs and found that it is quite beneficial, especially to these small breeds to keep their teeth in good order. So I tried it and I can tell you for the first few weeks I had nightmares about giving a dog a chicken wing But I kept a close watch on her and no problems with elimination and WOW she doubled her weight in about 2 months her hair grew and her coat is shiney and the girl now runs circles around the other dogs The trick is to make sure that they can't swallow the meat and bone whole, because they will so bigger is better. You want them to chew and chew and chew. For my little girl this has the Vet now happy with her teeth for the first time ever and totally impressed with her overall improvement in health!! So in some cases fowl is OK but not cooked of course since the bones become brittle in the process and will cause problems. Again, if you decide to go raw make sure the bones can't be swallowed whole by the dog the whole point is to make them chew. For these smaller dogs, 10 lbs or less, it is quite reasonable in expense, but I think for a larger dog you'd be running into some big bucks I buy mostly rack of lamb and chicken wings and overall spend about $20/month which is about 1/2 of what premium dog kibble and canned food used to cost me.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:08 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,838,484 times
One of my airedales years ago swallowed a chicken wing (upper drumstick type) bone whole that skittered off the table before we could grab it one evening.. So next day, off to the vet we went. They took an X-ray, nothing, no bone. She had digested it already. Impressive really.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:39 AM

216 posts, read 373,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Most likely everything will be fine.

The time our lab ate almost a WHOLE small cooked turkey (my FIL left it outside in a roasting pan on a table, on his balcony to keep cool) our vet said to give her two TBSP of Vaseline. I put a tiny bit of meat in the Vaseline so it would be more appetizing, she licked it up and everything came out in the wash. Not pretty LOL The worst thing was her turkey farts. Stinky enough to bring tears to your eyes. LOL
My Aunt's dog did the exact same thing at Thanksgiving. The farts were the worst. It lasted for days.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:36 PM

30,318 posts, read 23,789,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
if he swallowed it WHOLE your fine...cooked bones are dangerous becaue when they are crunched they splinter and shatter like glass, those sharp shards are whats dangerous...
if it goes down in 1 piece, theres no sharp edges to worry about and itll digest and pass through just like any other meal.

whole is ONLY dangerous as a choking hazard...if he didn't choke on it hell be fine.
stomach acid ph will quickly turn even a cooked bone into mush.

just watch him for normal bowel movemnts, if he seems to be constipated or passing blood, get a vet check.
or if he starts vomiting get a vet check (could have gotten stuck causing a blockage)
or if he starts acting ODD in any way get a vet check (again could get stuck before hitting the stomach...)

but I wouldn't worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm sure the problem has been resolved by now.

I wouldn't give chicken bones to my dog, but 99.99% of the time, the dog will be fine. Just observe and make sure the dog doesn't show signs of distress.

There will be some digesting of the bones. Also, for small sharp pieces, the intestines have nerves and they will pull back from anything sharp and not keep squeezing until they are punctured. As long as the dog is behaving in a normal fashion, it is not panic to the vet time.

Just be more careful with the bones in the future so he doesn't sneak another one.
I'd like to thank you both for helping to dispel the myth that a dog eating a cooked bone immediately means rush to the vet for surgery. More often than not, it will be okay, but absolutely keep an eye on them the next couple of days. And just because they may be fine doesn't mean feed them cooked bones all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmaus View Post
OK Dogs LOVE fowl and will help themselves any chance they can get......except those amazingly well trained dogs who will leave some scrap of food sitting on their paw until they have permission to eat it......I've seen them but never owned one I have a small dachshund who weighed 4.5 pounds when I adopted her, is a long haired dachshund but had almost no hair upon arrival and the worst skin I have ever seen!!! The Vet told me at the time he couldn't even spay her because it was doubtful she would survive. So I started bathing her in a special sulfur shampoo and put coconut oil on afterwards, this cleared up the leathery skin but although her hair did start to grow it would still break off and she also had a fair amount of what looked like dandruff So I did a lot of investigation on raw meat for dogs and found that it is quite beneficial, especially to these small breeds to keep their teeth in good order. So I tried it and I can tell you for the first few weeks I had nightmares about giving a dog a chicken wing But I kept a close watch on her and no problems with elimination and WOW she doubled her weight in about 2 months her hair grew and her coat is shiney and the girl now runs circles around the other dogs The trick is to make sure that they can't swallow the meat and bone whole, because they will so bigger is better. You want them to chew and chew and chew. For my little girl this has the Vet now happy with her teeth for the first time ever and totally impressed with her overall improvement in health!! So in some cases fowl is OK but not cooked of course since the bones become brittle in the process and will cause problems. Again, if you decide to go raw make sure the bones can't be swallowed whole by the dog the whole point is to make them chew. For these smaller dogs, 10 lbs or less, it is quite reasonable in expense, but I think for a larger dog you'd be running into some big bucks I buy mostly rack of lamb and chicken wings and overall spend about $20/month which is about 1/2 of what premium dog kibble and canned food used to cost me.
It does not cost a lot to feed a large dog raw. I have a large dog and a smaller dog. It's actually cheaper for me to feed them raw than it would be to buy over-processed garbage in a bag or can. It's cheaper not just food wise, but cheaper in vet bills, too, because they are extremely healthy due to their diet. Finally, since I've fed my pets raw, (cats and dogs), I've not seen a single flea. Not one in 5 years...so that's even more savings.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:26 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,782,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
my dog got hold of a cooked chicken thigh bone, about half the length of a chicken drumstick. i saw him and tried to get it from him but in his haste to not have it stolen by me he literally swallowed it whole. Should i be concerned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
grampatom: i see the wisdom in your advice as im sure dogs in the wild ate tons of terrible things before they were domesticated. However, those bones weren't typically cooked and they probably lived much shorter lives as well when those horrible things they ate killed them whatever small percentage of the time.

This dog is 3 and would probably have died 5x by now without vet treatment. I'm not that worried because he didnt chew it up so its not gonna break apart and cut him up hopefully.

Any update? Wondering how things turned out.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:14 PM

380 posts, read 653,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Watch him, it may pass through fine or it may cause serious problems. If he's not eating or behaving normally take him to the vet.

Just because the ancestors of the domestic dog probably ate bones 30,000 years ago doesn't mean that eating a bone can't cause a problem in a dog today. Dogs' physiology has evolved.
This. And also, a lot of these appeals to "dog's nature" are nostalgic and unrealistic. People don't factor into their breathless stories of the dogs of yore the fact that many of them died prematurely because they ate stuff that they weren't supposed to. Most modern-day pet owners want their dogs to live longer than a dog that is forced to scavenge in the wild.

EDIT: My dog has swallowed a cooked bone on a couple of different occasions. As others have suggested, it's nothing to freak out over, nor does it warrant a vet visit unless you see something strange in behavior or blood in stool.

Last edited by Sean Kellogg; 10-29-2015 at 03:26 PM..

Old 11-11-2015, 11:33 AM

936 posts, read 2,071,193 times
The dog was fine, no problems at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs