Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,112 times

Advertisements

We recently adopted a 7 month old nearly blind chihuahua/ dachshund mix from a rescue. At first, she was very loving and affectionate with everyone, including my husband. Shortly after adopting this sweetheart our grandchildren visited and we caught our 7 year old grandson kick our dog. We, of course, corrected/disciplined him. However, now, she cowers and barks anytime my husband enters the room/house. Three weeks have passed since this occurred and we don't know what to do to instill the trust factor again. We have another 4 year old chihuahua and he and my husband are best buddies. Anyone have suggestions? It probably didn't help matters that my hubby was the one who took her to be spayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 01:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I hope you told the child's parents. Children who abuse animals often have other problems that need to be addressed.

Time and interaction with the dog will probably resolve the issue with your H. I have adopted 2 abused rescues who initially had issues with men. Probably because their abusers were male. It all worked out and the dogs both ended up loving my SO as much as they loved me.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:45 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Post View Post
We recently adopted a 7 month old nearly blind chihuahua/ dachshund mix from a rescue. At first, she was very loving and affectionate with everyone, including my husband. Shortly after adopting this sweetheart our grandchildren visited and we caught our 7 year old grandson kick our dog. We, of course, corrected/disciplined him. However, now, she cowers and barks anytime my husband enters the room/house. Three weeks have passed since this occurred and we don't know what to do to instill the trust factor again. We have another 4 year old chihuahua and he and my husband are best buddies. Anyone have suggestions? It probably didn't help matters that my hubby was the one who took her to be spayed.
That's of course horrible what your grandchild did. It takes time for the poor dog to regain trust. Give it space, time and do not let children near it when they visit.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:24 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,565 times
I have a fearful dog who appeared to be scared of men. A lot of dogs who are fearful are usually skeptical of men approaching them. The truth is, it is more than likely because men are usually bigger, taller and have a deeper voice. Animals who weren't socialized enough or had a bad experience with a human would find most men intimidating.

Your new dog who just got kicked is now fearful of anything that may look threatening.... understandably, he trusted your grandkid and that trust was betrayed with a kick.

There are two ways I know to help with this. Both ways require patience and time. One, I think, is more effective than the other.

Do not force your dog on your husband. Have your husband sit or lay on the floor, adistance where the dog won't growl or run away. Face the dog sideways. Every time the pup looks at your husband without growling, have your husband throw a yummy treat (I.e. hot dogs). Clicker training helps too. Slowly, as the dog feel more comfortable and look at your husband more for treats, throw the treats closer and closer. Do this for several days until the dog is willing to walk up to your husband, not growling. The tail doesn't have to wag. Just no fear barking or growling or running away. Get to the point where the dog will take the treat from his hands (open palm). Eventually, do this with your husband, sitting up and standing.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:29 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
Have your husband be the giver of super special treats. I have a friend with a fear aggressive dog who is making progress but still has issues, I visit and bring over rabbit jerky and we are slowly becoming friends. It's a long process and will take time.

The grand child should never be allowed an animal in his house, a 7 year old knows better, therapy may be a wise choice.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:40 PM

965 posts, read 938,689 times
I agree with cheesenugget and dogmama50, but start with you give the treats when the dog doesn't act fearful of your husband. If he throws anything at the dog, even a treat at this point, it may set you back a long while!

As the dog gets closer to your husband, click, treat, etc.... Eventually put a piece of hotdog halfway between you and your husband, slowly (over days) put treat next to his hand. Then have him show it is in his hand and sit or lie still (husband doesn't engage).

I would also have husband make it known he (and only he) is putting food in the dish, giving other dog treats, but just ignore the fearful dog 100%. One day with any luck fearful dog will approach and trust him. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Post View Post
Who feeds her? If it is not your husband, have him take over feedings for a while....food=love for most dogs...and people too come to think of it.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:06 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
I agree with cheesenugget and dogmama50, but start with you give the treats when the dog doesn't act fearful of your husband. If he throws anything at the dog, even a treat at this point, it may set you back a long while!

As the dog gets closer to your husband, click, treat, etc.... Eventually put a piece of hotdog halfway between you and your husband, slowly (over days) put treat next to his hand. Then have him show it is in his hand and sit or lie still (husband doesn't engage).

I would also have husband make it known he (and only he) is putting food in the dish, giving other dog treats, but just ignore the fearful dog 100%. One day with any luck fearful dog will approach and trust him. Good luck.

The tossing a treat near the dog worked well when my sisters dog as afraid and acting in an aggressive way when ever she saw her neighbor (a man). He would not say anything at first but would just toss her a treat and when she got bolder and calmer she would go up to him for the treat .It worked great and now she loves the neighbor.

You also see people who rescue dogs use this method first just tossing food near the dog then once the dog is comfortable with them being there having the dog approach them for the food. I mean you are not throwing it at them you are tossing it near them.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:46 PM

965 posts, read 938,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
The tossing a treat near the dog worked well when my sisters dog as afraid and acting in an aggressive way when ever she saw her neighbor (a man). He would not say anything at first but would just toss her a treat and when she got bolder and calmer she would go up to him for the treat .It worked great and now she loves the neighbor.

You also see people who rescue dogs use this method first just tossing food near the dog then once the dog is comfortable with them being there having the dog approach them for the food. I mean you are not throwing it at them you are tossing it near them.
Sorry, I even wrote it as if I knew how much the dog could see OP said nearly blind, so I was kind of working with smell and sound (but I realize now I was not at all specific about that).

I had a dog who was blind from the age of 4, and she would listen, and smell. But throwing something near her would have sent her off on a treat track - not connection to the Person throwing. If it was in a persons hand, pocket, etc.... She would find it, and get to know them.

My thought was that the husband has an odor, and it should start to be a comforting always there smell that has to do with good, and calm - that he is art of the house. Food/treats slowly moving towards him should give the dog time to learn he becomes a non threat - in shorter more specific exercises.

Sorry, i know it can fragment my thoughts and words a lot!

OP how blind is the dog?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:18 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
The grandchild and husband may have a similar smell. Crazy as it sounds, it may help to have your husband change soap, shampoo, or deodorant. I agree your husband needs to be the dispenser of wonderful things, be it treat, walks, or toys, for at least a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs