Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 02:56 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,257,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Opinion, do some charity work and quit peeping out the windows at imperfect humans.
Oh for Christs sake...its THEIR lawn! If they don't want dogs on it, that's their right.

Peeping? Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am with the original poster 100%. The suggestion of motion-detecting sprinklers sounds about right to me.

I am astounded at the responses I'm hearing. It is the original poster's yard. It is NOT the dog's yard, the dog owner's yard, and that to me is EVERYTHING. This person has every right to be left alone on his or her own property. The minute that dog somehow becomes able to pay a mortgage, property taxes and HOA fees then and only then does that dog matter one bit. Otherwise, that dog and its owners are irrelevant to this person's yard and have no rights at all.

You can't go shooting where you live obviously (and it sounds like wouldn't want to go that far with it anyway, but I live in the boonies and that would be an option in "these parts"), nor could you trap the animal I'd imagine (I live in the boonies and I'd be inclined to trap it and take it to animal shelter as a "stray"), but I do like the idea of motion-detecting sprinklers. I'd raise the biggest stink about this possible (pardon the pun) in terms of filing a formal complaint with the HOA organization and even see if animal control or city codes could do anything (although I doubt they could or would). If they don't respect you, I'd go looking for another HOA that is more respectful of a person's private property and let them know such was the reason why I left. There's no excuse for this. You are under ZERO obligation to tolerate this. Their dog is THEIR dog, your yard is YOUR yard, simple as that.
AGREE!!!!

I can't believe the responses either.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:00 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,142,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Peeping? Ugh.
Considering the topic, very amusing!

Old 05-19-2017, 04:48 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,631,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Motion-activated sprinklers sound like the ticket.

Meanwhile, how about mouse traps? They snap and fly in the air which is often enough to deter future exploration.
I've been thinking about this. It would train the dog. And maybe the owner too.
I've been thinking about getting this even for the neighbor's family who sometimes parks on my front lawn. I'd have to put in the sprinklers though. Maybe I'll start with a sprinkler hose attachment.

Last edited by cully; 05-19-2017 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: added sometimes

Old 05-19-2017, 04:56 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,652,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I feel as if harmony with neighbors is more important that a few blades of grass. How often does this happen? If the dog pees on your flowers every day, that's one thing, if he just did it once or twice, that's another.

I would not be upset if a neighbors dog happened to pee in my yard once in awhile. When a dog has to go, a dog has to go. If you asked me nicely to please avoid your yard when walking my dog, I would certainly comply.
This is the only dog I've every seen where the owner lets the dog up near my front window flower bed, the flowerbed around my tree in the center of the yard.

Husband is retired and home all day and hasn't seen any other dogs allowed to do this.

Not the first time.

The owners are at least being respectful now and walking on the opposite side of the street.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,381,674 times
I went walking with a small group of neighborhood dog owners the other night. I'm not a dog owner. They walk every evening together. One woman broke away from the group and went down a different street because her dog has his "favorite place" to relieve himself and he was leading her there. I wondered if that dog does its business in the same person's yard every night. Hmmm... (We don't have public land in our small neighborhood.)

Old 05-19-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Oh, didn't you get the memo? Dogs rule the world now, as they are the most intelligent, noble, sublime creatures in the whole universe.

Doesn't dog pee make grass turn yellow? Won't it kill a bedding plant if it's done over and over? I'm thinking so....

My advice is the motion-activated sprinkler.

]
This.

It's insane.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:40 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,132,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Also posted in another forum, I don't know if reposting is correct. Admins please let me know.

Last night a women who lives in my development was walking her beautiful large Husky. She proceeded to let the dog urinate on my front yard, near a tree and a flower bed. We added an element to our alarm system that alerts us to someone in our yard (not near the street) so we looked out when we heard the alarm and watched the owner allow the pet behavior.

I do not know the owners, but have seen them before in the neighborhood and they seemed pleasant, waving, etc. I posted a mention on our HOA FB page that I thought was improper pet owner behavior and rude.

Of course I was summarily blasted by other residents.

Is it too much to ask that all the hard work my 71 year old husband puts into our yard, restoring it from neglect from the previous owner and spending money on flowers, fertilizer, etc. to think dog walkers would curb their dog and use city-owned grass areas near the street? I don't feel it is asking too much.

The owner responded that, basically, his dog could pee anywhere it wanted, it wasn't something he considered or worried about and that he picks up feces per city rules. I understand that there may be a generational difference of opinion here. He was not totally impolite but his responses as well as other responses had a snarky quality to them.

I just wonder how these people would feel if I deposited about a pint of urine on their front yard and flowers.

Opinions, please.
They sell motion sensored water sprayers called " the scarecrow" if you get one, that dog will soon be walked on the other side of the street. Good for burglars too.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:33 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,652,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
They sell motion sensored water sprayers called " the scarecrow" if you get one, that dog will soon be walked on the other side of the street. Good for burglars too.
I will check into this. We have a pie-plate yellow circle in our front yard that is otherwise emerald green.

I have a dog, I love my dog and he urinates in the back yard in a designated area. I guess these people would rather MY yard be trashed than theirs.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:29 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,912,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
This is the only dog I've every seen where the owner lets the dog up near my front window flower bed, the flowerbed around my tree in the center of the yard.

Husband is retired and home all day and hasn't seen any other dogs allowed to do this.

Not the first time.

The owners are at least being respectful now and walking on the opposite side of the street.
So now, 66 posts later, out of your entire HOA, it's only ONE PERSON who does it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs